Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
As session reports go, this ain't gonna be fancy shmancy or detailed in any way, but I wanted to get a few thoughts out there... Most importantly, that Volkare can indeed be defeated. I was starting to wonder that after my first game last night where I got flustered just looking at his army, and after two aborted games this afternoon where I couldn't get anything happening I thought it might be quite a while before I tasted victory. I'm glad I kept at it, though, because this last time did the trick.

Granted, I was playing the easiest version of Volkare's Quest, and it still seems baffling that anyone could win on the highest levels... I shudder to think of the brain melt that would be caused by trying to figure out how to arrange attack and defense against an even larger army, with even shorter time to prepare.

But anyway... I played as Arythea and the layout seemed to be full of Keeps, so I made good use of attacking them to get extra card draws, which was especially useful in the later rounds. I grabbed Maximal Effect as my second Advanced Action and used that to, well, maximal effect. At first I was worried that thinning my deck a little might not be a great idea... unlike other deck-building games, that's not necessarily what you want in Mage Knight... but against Volkare, the fewer turns that he has a chance to move, the better. A new AA that I found very useful was Mountain Lore, which allows you to move into mountain spaces... Not only was it helpful for its movement ability a few times, but it it also allowed me to attack Volkare when the time felt right and he was sitting on a mountain space.

But probably the most crucial thing, without which I may not have had a chance to win, was when I revealed a Ruins token during the last day (round 5), and the reward was to gain any unit in the offer... I had just been drooling over the new Delphana Masters when they turned up in the offer, and now I could have them for free. I was able to (barely) defeat the three orcs to get the Delphana Masters, and even used them to help take over one more Keep before the end of the round. I was also able to gain some crucial crystals that would let me make full use of the D. Masters in the next round.

What I love about this scenario is that unlike the base game scenarios, where you venture out but rarely retrace your steps, Volkare's Quest forces you to get out there and explore and do stuff, but you also have to double back at some point, which will let you visit some of the places you debated over whether or not to visit in the earlier rounds. And though one city was revealed and I was very nearly about to attack it, I decided against it and I'm glad I did... I can see where the bonuses from that might have been useful, but in this particular game it made more sense in retrospect to back off from that.

Starting the last round, I had a big card draw, I think 9 or 10 cards, but unfortunately some of my most powerful spells and my one artifact (not attached to a unit) hadn't been drawn. So I stalled a bit, moving around Volkare, discarding a couple of cards, and was able to draw one important spell, though still not the artifact. But with about half of my deck still undrawn, I figured it was best to go for it before I had too few cards left, in case I didn't defeat Volkare's army entirely (the rulebook warns you about that!).

I used Mountain Lore to move into Volkare's mountain space and attack him. I had a Banner artifact attached to a unit that allows you to discard it to prevent 3 enemies from attacking, and also one of the Delphana Masters effects prevents one enemy from attacking, and one of my spells also prevented one attack, so 5 of my 8 attackers (including Volkare himself) could not attack, which was huge. The spell also reduced everyone's armor by 1, making it easier to kill some of them, especially those with certain resistances. I did take two wounds and wounded a unit, but was then able to pound back, with particular help from the AA that lets you use movement points to attack. Combined with Maximal Effect and a few other Move cards, I had something like 18 or 19 attack points altogether, and 5 of the 7 enemies fell.

I drew my next hand, but wasn't going to be able to move back to the mountain space, so I had to wait for Volkare to come to me, which he did two turns later. I took another hit, but was otherwise able to finish off his army relatively easily for the win.

As it turned out, Volkare wasn't going to get to the portal and enter it until the second to last card in his deck (which would have been 11 cards later), so I was fortunate in that respect. He never really threatened in terms of the timing. The same thing happened in my first game last night, which caused me to wonder whether the game should end after six rounds or just continues until you or Volkare win (the rulebook needs clarification about that). As described in that thread, I experimented last night with how long it generally takes Volkare to reach and enter the portal, and the most frequent time with a 20 wound deck seems to be with 3-6 cards left in his deck, but it can range anywhere from 14 or so cards left to none left, depending how the configuration of movement cards comes out. So by virtue of the luck of the Volkare draw, I had more time to deal with him than I might expect in most games.

Whew. I love this game, but it is incredibly taxing on the brain. I feel exhausted! Looking forward to more tangles with Mr. Volkare, though...

Final score: 194 pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hay
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. It's worth noting that you can't use the ultimate ability of a banner while it's attached to a unit (see walkthrough pg15).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can't recruit Delphana Masters for free. You always have to pay Influence (as indicated by the ! after their cost).

The D. Masters are a big reason to keep your Reputation up/draft Influence cards because they are so damn powerful. Getting them as a freebie kinda wrecks that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, I should have known. shake

Actually, though this is the second time I've forgotten that rule, I'm going to let the banner thing slide... Had I remembered that, I definitely wouldn't have attached it (thinking of Volkare's army was the exact reason I chose that artifact), and I don't believe I used its attached ability, anyway. So, hmmm, assuming I might have had that banner in hand at the time of attacking Volkare, even without the Delphana Masters, I think I still may have had a chance... I would have been able to grab one of the other units to help out and take damage in the Volkare fight, and I think I'd have weathered it okay and still defeated 4 if not 5 of the enemies the first go. But it certainly would have been very close on the follow up fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think the general has arcane immunity so you cannot cause his attack to be canceled ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:
I also think the general has arcane immunity so you cannot cause his attack to be canceled ...

Ahhh yes, I missed that. The only way to avoid Volkare's attack is to block it or kill his whole army in the ranged/siege attack phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:

His attack was not cancelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your report said, "5 of the 8 attackers (including Volkare himself) could not attack." I interpreted this to mean his attack was cancelled. What did you mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I realize now that was worded wrong. What I meant to say was that there were 8 total attackers (including Volkare), and of those, 5 weren't able to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Yeah, I realize now that was worded wrong. What I meant to say was that there were 8 total attackers (including Volkare), and of those, 5 weren't able to attack.

Cool. In my last co-op game we realized we would lose because of Volkare's attack. My girlfriend had enough to kill her draconum, but not while blocking Volkare's paralyzing attack. But if she didn't kill her draconum, we would not kill the requisite two enemies to prevent him from sacking the city. So we promptly re-arranged the unit assignments and gave them both to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.