Hide
8 Posts

Age of Napoleon» Forums » Strategy

Subject: A French 1815 moral victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan M
msg tools
What about going from the onset for a French 1815 victory and basically doing nothing (certainly no attacks as Napoleon) except playing diplomatic events and defending controlled territory?
This means if I am not wrong that the Austrians and Prussians cannot reform their army, right?

Is this a viable strategy?
(a bit like NOT attacking Italy in Hannibal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan M wrote:
What about going from the onset for a French 1815 victory and basically doing nothing (certainly no attacks as Napoleon) except playing diplomatic events and defending controlled territory?
This means if I am not wrong that the Austrians and Prussians cannot reform their army, right?

Whilst it may or may not be a viable strategy, it would certainly make for a very boring game; Napoléon was born to attack.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan M
msg tools
I know, that's the reason that I am asking this question...

Just wondering if this could be a viable (or even superior) strategy in game terms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan,

I can't really answer that one. I've had this game since it was released, played it many times, but never attempted what you have suggested. I don't think I could do it as it is so different from my style of play that it would require a mindset that I don't possess. I am however, very interested in seeing what other players have to say. It's a good question and one that's never even occurred to me.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan M wrote:

Can't you reform the armies beginning at 1809 or so regardless of the countries having surrendered or not?

I'd say the whole thing is a risky gamble: you are hoping to get more diplomatic cards than the coalition to be able to stop Russia/Austria without a fight.

You should be able to win a lot of battles, but this particular WWI should wear your armies down after a couple of years.

It would be interesting to see once, but I'm not really sure if being a sitting duck is that viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
Can't you reform the armies beginning at 1809 or so regardless of the countries having surrendered or not?

Not that I can remember. Military defeat is what prompted these armies to reform, and therefore is required in the game. Likely it would have happened at some point in time but not necessarily in 1809 or even 1815 if Europe had remained at peace.

I think the Phony or No War strategy is a gamble. Maybe it could work. I don't think I ever tried it, but if the Coalition gets Prussia on their side I don't see what prevents them from gobbling up all the minors and Spain and then converge on France. Napoleon's strength and he benefit of interior lines can only get you so far.

Last, it would not befit Napoleon to sit back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:

Last, it would not befit Napoleon to sit back...

Vive L'Empereur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivan M wrote:

Yes, I played against a German fellow who used this strategy. We didn't finish the game. It was insanely irritating and gamey feeling. It was also proving to be very effective. I think he probably would have been able to win with it, as in that game, I had had some disaster early, and wasn't making much progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.