Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reading the questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hope-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you allowed to read the questions before deciding you're ready to answer them? I've got the new Ystari edition and from reading the rules concluded that you aren't, but I'm not sure.

The rules say that when you feel you're ready you stop following clues, you turn to the questions and answer them. This is the first mention of the questions I think.

It makes sense to me thematically that you face Holmes not knowing exactly what he's going to ask, but I'm surprised this isn't made clearer in the rules. Also, I had a quick flick through the first case book (being careful not to actually read anything), and the questions are right there next to the later clue answers, which makes me uncertain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Starbäck
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group we never looked at the questions beforehand. Also we answered them one at a time without knowing what would come next. (We were allowed to reconsider and answer something else than what we had originally intended tough, if previous questions suggested that we were off.

I don't remember if that was our own choice or not, but I really recommend this. One of the more memorable moments of our SHCD play was when we thought we had stumbled on the solution Really Early, and expected a very good score because of that. Then we got a question about the whereabouts of an object we hadn't even heard of! We still quote that question now and then many years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I never read the questions ahead of time...it's tempting sometimes though.

I don't have the book in front of me, but my understanding of the wording implied to me that you don't look at any of that stuff ahead of time. But the game can be really hard sometimes, so if knowing the questions ahead of time makes it more fun, why not do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a couple cooperative cases under my belt, but we've been playing that you don't look at the questions until you're ready to end the case. This means, being "confident" in our ability to describe the crime, identify who carried it out, why the crime was committed, and how it was carried out based on the information we gathered from the leads.

When we're in agreement, one person reads aloud and the table answers the questions in Parts One and Two of the quiz, one question at a time, and in the order they are presented. We try to give complete answers and we won't amend an early answer based on information dropped in a later question. Then we read aloud Holmes' solution and the quiz answers. Finally, we tally our (mediocre) score based on the game's formula.

I guess that means we play "hard" and if our answer doesn't really match the given one, we lose all points rather than trying to wheedle partial credit. But it should all be in the spirit of fun and a good time. If players really think they deserve some credit (and I'd certainly give it to first-timers or non-gamers) then 10 points one way or another probably won't make much difference. A table with a quiz-sheet full of half-credit answers still won't beat Holmes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hope-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Sounds like not reading the questions is the way to go. Looking forward to giving this a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hope-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally played the first case yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Not looking at the questions till the end felt right. I think it's worth putting a sheet of paper in the case book so you don't accidentally see them if you happen to read clues on the last page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip "Rastula" Nowakowski
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't look at the question but at least in two first cases you can solve the murder identity without even hearing about the some objects the game asks you about...

even if yo follow closely steps of SH some plots won't come up

so either you go for points or for the story ... that is the main flaw of the game - you can't do it both ways at the same time

otherwise superb game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.