Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone.

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong subforum, but in my defence I have to say Boardgamegeek may have one of the most chaotic forums i've seen.

The "official" 2 players variant for Catan says -taken from the english translation in this site and the wikia, respectively (bolds are mine):

a)From the english PDF
. The dice throwing
On his turn, player throws the dice two times instead of one (neutrals never throw dice!). The two numbers must differ. If the same number is thrown, the dice should be thrown one more time. If a "7" is rolled in either of two throws,the player moves the Robber and the usual actions are taken.

b) From Catan Wikia

If a “7” is rolled either time (but not both), the player moves the Robber and the usual actions are taken

Question: What happens if you roll 7 twice?
- Do you play the robber twice?
- Do you repeat the second roll?
- Do you completely discard the second roll?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek!

I'm sorry the forums seem a little confusing right now, but they become natural enough with time. I would have put this question in either the main Catan forum, or the Traders and Barbarians forum (where it was officially published). Right now, you have it in the forum where users ask other users for recommendations for what games to buy next.

As I read rolling for production, you roll dice until you get different numbers, so it's impossible to roll seven twice--if you roll it once, and then roll it again, you have to re-roll that second seven until you get something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer your question but I know where you'd post it! When you have questions about a particular game, you simply do a search for that game, and mid page you'll see all the game specific forums. For this one, you'd post under Rules or possibly Variants. In any case, your post will probably get moved there by a moderator but someone may answer before then. It is somewhat confusing, especially if one is new to BGG. Welcome aboard though. I STILL have not played my copy of Settlers of Catan because we never have a third player. Good for you that you are giving it a go anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules - which are published in the expansion Catan: Traders & Barbarians - are both clear and simple:

You keep rolling until you get two different results.
The should apply the result of each die immediately after it has been rolled.

http://mayfairgames.com/mfg-shop3/rules/MFG3067-Rules-V1_0.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Catan: Traders & Barbarians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone!

Wow! Can you believe I understood the whole time that "the numbers must differ" applied to the number on each dice blush I found strange that you weren't able to roll 2's or 12's but... it never crossed my mind, not even once, that the rule was applied to the resuls. Go, genius, go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lelo arrowsmith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I have related questions. My 4th edition rules for Catan for Two say (Italics and Bold are as they are in the document):

On your turn, you roll the dice twice in a row. It is essential that the two dice roll results differ from one another.
Should the second dice roll give the same result as the first one, roll again -- as many times as necessary to produce two different results.

And

For Combination with "Catan Event Cards:" -- On your turn, you draw two event cards instead of rolling the dice. If the second card has the same production result as the first, no further cards are drawn. The production result is only applied once.

1st Question:
When using the Event Cards, if the second card has the same production result as the first do both events still take place? (They may be different or the same as repeated events are usually not paired with the same production numbers.)

2nd Question:
Why is it "essential that the two dice roll results differ from one another"? The purpose of the extra dice roll is to generate as many resources per round as you would in a 4-player game. In a 4-player game there may be repeated dice rolls. Why not in Catan for Two? We are considering a house rule to allow duplicate dice rolls but if I understood why "it is essential" then perhaps we won't go with such a house rule after all.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.