Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Aiming case... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand... why they put aiming order in game? I mean everyone uses guard (to get attack in OL turn), rest (to regain fatigue) and battle (to attack twice), but NO ONE used aim ever!!! So I wonder, does we play it right way... I was thinking about case you call for battle action, but misses first roll! Maybe you then loses your second shot! That way you would use aim order, when you NEED that attack to hit! Just my humble opinion... I still think that we play it right way, but I just want something of Aim order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be quite crucial when you need to make sure you hit (give you the option to reroll a miss) or when you need to do as much damage as possible (on high-armor units), but yeah, it definitely is the least used order as far as our games go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocinetu wrote:
I don't understand... why they put aiming order in game? I mean everyone uses guard (to get attack in OL turn), rest (to regain fatigue) and battle (to attack twice), but NO ONE used aim ever!!! So I wonder, does we play it right way... I was thinking about case you call for battle action, but misses first roll! Maybe you then loses your second shot! That way you would use aim order, when you NEED that attack to hit! Just my humble opinion... I still think that we play it right way, but I just want something of Aim order:D

Aim is very important when using power pots.
Murphy's Law...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:

Particularly if you're playing an Advanced Campaign game when you are rolling many silver/gold power dice.

It's a relic from Doom: The Boardgame, which Descent's mechanics are based on. In Doom, Aim was rather important since the dice dictated when you spent ammo or not, and ammo tends to be a rare commodity. So if a marine aimed and rolled an ammo icon, they can reroll and hopefully not spend that precious ammo. In Descent, since there is no ammo, it's not as good of an option. Statistics show that 2 attacks is better than 1 attack + aim.

With a power potion, it's a little better but with most heroes, not really, since Power Potions just gave 2 extra power dice (most heroes have 3 power dice in their preferred weapons). In the Advanced Campaign though, power potions give 5 power dice *boosts*, changing black to silver/gold, and that can be rather precious, especially early in the campaign. Nothing sucks more than drinking a power potion and getting to roll 3 gold dice just to roll an X.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
corbon wrote:

Particularly if you're playing an Advanced Campaign game when you are rolling many silver/gold power dice.

It's a relic from Doom: The Boardgame, which Descent's mechanics are based on. In Doom, Aim was rather important since the dice dictated when you spent ammo or not, and ammo tends to be a rare commodity. So if a marine aimed and rolled an ammo icon, they can reroll and hopefully not spend that precious ammo. In Descent, since there is no ammo, it's not as good of an option. Statistics show that 2 attacks is better than 1 attack + aim.

With a power potion, it's a little better but with most heroes, not really, since Power Potions just gave 2 extra power dice (most heroes have 3 power dice in their preferred weapons). In the Advanced Campaign though, power potions give 5 power dice *boosts*, changing black to silver/gold, and that can be rather precious, especially early in the campaign. Nothing sucks more than drinking a power potion and getting to roll 3 gold dice just to roll an X.

-shnar

well, they should made something similar with range heroes (they should have limited amount of arrows/bolts/throwing daggers). Make more sense to me, that range hero have to aim when shoot... I wouldn't nerf it, but i would give a nice boost to roll when ranged hero uses aim order!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocinetu wrote:
shnar wrote:
corbon wrote:

-shnar

well, they should made something similar with range heroes (they should have limited amount of arrows/bolts/throwing daggers). Make more sense to me, that range hero have to aim when shoot... I wouldn't nerf it, but i would give a nice boost to roll when ranged hero uses aim order!

bonus on aim roll could be *5 piercing on next roll*, make sense because hero aim weak spot of target when he aims!!! Perfect against high armor monster/boss...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
A small bonus can be important against threshold effects ; Aim is important against Fear, to maximize the probability of rolling the necessary surges. Also, Aim would be important when you have an output range of, say, 12-16 damage and you need 15 to kill the boss. If you attacked twice and one attack failed (30% probability) there would be serious risk.

Also remember that, against heavily armored monsters, one strong shot can be worth more than two ordinary ones. So, it is power pot + Aim + Pico + Mana Weave + the kitchen sink.

Similarly, Aim cards are important when one die matters much, the most important ones being Dark Charm and a Troll's attack. You won't play them on a Skeleton's attack, because Skeletons use the strategy of numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.