Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you guys have a great week ahead, and hopefully this nomination kickstarts a great few days for your new Geek of the Week:

Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I first came to know of Jerry while listening to the Plaid Hat Podcast. I then have the distinct pleasure of working on an instructional video for Jerry's first published game with Plaid Hat Games: Mice and Mystics.

Because of that, Jerry and I shared a number of emails. He was the same, sincere, kind-hearted guy I heard on the podcast. Passionate about game design and life in general. Additionally he had a real hit in our household with Mice and Mystics. We enjoy adventure games with theme, and this game came with theme in spades.

So, without further ado, in his own words, let's meet Jerry!

Quote:
How awesome to be nominated for Geek of the Week. Thank you Rodney! What a pleasant surprise!

Now, as I understand it, I must conjure up a bio. Ok, well here it goes.

I was born in the US here in 1967, "the summer of love" as it was called by my free spirited parents. I am a full time hair stylist, father, husband, and a part time game designer. I have been a member of BGG since 2003.

Growing up, we played a lot of family games. So as a kid, I got to play things like Clue, Life, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Canasta, Charades etc. I also got to play war games with my older brother who is a genius. We played Starfleet Battles, Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader. He would always let us win. He was just happy to have us playing. My brother would draw pictures of WW2 military heroes he created. He named them and made back stories for them. When we played Squad Leader, he would point out a unit on the board and say that it was the unit one or another of his characters belonged to.

When I was an early teen, I discovered D&D. After that, all I played for a while were RPGs. I really love the idea of playing a game with continuity. RISK, Squad Leader, these would factor in once and awhile, but I was mostly interested in RPGs. Melee, Wizard, and The Fantasy Trip, really grabbed my attention, and I always wanted miniatures featured in my gaming.

For a few years I didn't play any games. I spent 4 years in the military, then a couple of years trying to become a civilian again. In 1989, I discovered Heroquest. I was floored by how it brought me back to my youth. Low complexity meant I could talk my friends into playing it. We had a blast. I discovered Games Workshop because of Heroquest and dived into miniature gaming. I made friends through my local game store (Chad Hoverter, the PHG sculptor is one of these friends), and back then, before the internet, you really depended on those stores as a way to find other "geeks".

I met my wife, and we started a little family. We had a daughter, and I painted miniatures on commission for extra money. It was really the only way for me to feel connected to the hobby. We got pregnant again, and when I found out it was a boy, I started looking into finding things for him that I would have liked when I was a kid.

In 2004, I discovered Heroscape before it was actually released, by surfing pics of the NYC toy fair. I thought it would be a great game for my nephews, and eventually my son. I found out that Stephen Baker was connected to the game and it suddenly all made sense. I was one of the first fans, and my enthusiasm for the game lead to my involvement with Hasbro, first as a playtester, then later as a freelance designer.

While I was active with Hasbro and Heroscape, I met Colby. We collaborated on many game design things, both for Hasbro, and also just for fun. There are a few game design things we both enjoy, so naturally, I wanted to be involved when he started Plaid Hat Games. In 2012, Plaid Hat published my first game Mice & Mystics.

I enjoy games, especially those that have a strong narrative. But mostly, I enjoy people. Games are an incredibly wholesome way to spend time with other people.

So that is what I am about.

Put on your deduction caps! Time for Two Truths and One Lie:

Poll
Which one is the lie?
I have eaten a partially full urinary bladder of a king cobra, and drank fresh cobra blood in a shot of three finger whiskey.
I constructed a catapult in my backyard by bending and fastening a sapling tree using twine. I then launched my younger brother across the yard in a daring display of high flying hijinx.
I wore leather shorts as part of a German dance troupe that performed various embarrassing dances at numerous Octoberfests around my home state. This all in an effort to appease my yodeling German language teacher.
      271 answers
Poll created by Pelvidar

Have a great week Jerry - hope you have a chance to enjoy meeting more excellent gamers from The Geek!

Here are some Q's to get the ball rolling:

d10-1 Ten years in the future, at the Plaid Hat Games Tower, Colby marches into your office and demands a theme/setting for a game, but it must be non-space, non-fantasy. What would you offer and why?

d10-2 You're a hair stylist. What do you love most about this job and have you ever, or do you currently cut your own hair?

d10-3 Do you have a workspace for when you are working on a game? If so, could you describe it?

d10-4 Dungeon Twister is in your collection on BGG, and it is the only game in your collection that you didn't rate. Is it lost in a pile of Heroscape minis? Has it gone unplayed? Did you order it, thinking it was a themed version of regular Twister, only to be disappointed?

d10-5 The Resistance. Tell us what you think of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger van den Braak
Netherlands
Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry!

Just set my first mousesteps yesterday and really enjoyed them!
So this is a great timing to see you announced as GotW.

My question to you: What did you most enjoy about the development process of Mice and Mystics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jerry! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RebelMage wrote:
Congratulations Jerry!

Just set my first mousesteps yesterday and really enjoyed them!
So this is a great timing to see you announced as GotW.

My question to you: What did you most enjoy about the development process of Mice and Mystics?

Thank you! This is an easy question I enjoyed the collaborative energy that connected me with all of the other talents associated with the game. Each person involved has a special part to play and they all are so generous with their time and support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ten years in the future, at the Plaid Hat Games Tower, Colby marches into your office and demands a theme/setting for a game, but it must be non-space, non-fantasy. What would you offer and why?
A journey inside the mind of a genius.

Quote:
You're a hair stylist. What do you love most about this job and have you ever, or do you currently cut your own hair?
I cannot cut my own hair, I've tried and failed miserably. I love my job because I spend my days chatting it up with beautiful women. I make them look and feel batter, and I come home from work smelling like women, and my wife doesn't mind. How awesome is that?!

Quote:
Do you have a workspace for when you are working on a game? If so, could you describe it?
No, the world is my office. You might find me sitting under a tree with my ipad, working away.

Quote:
Dungeon Twister is in your collection on BGG, and it is the only game in your collection that you didn't rate. Is it lost in a pile of Heroscape minis? Has it gone unplayed? Did you order it, thinking it was a themed version of regular Twister, only to be disappointed?
I love Dungeon Twister, but I suffer from AP really really bad, so DT is hard for me to play. Well, hard for others to play the game with me.

Quote:
The Resistance. Tell us what you think of this game.
I played it once. I don't know how long it took, but it was a considerable amount of time if you consider that I only interacted with the game one time in all of that. the rest of the time, I was observing an enormous argument that ended with somebody accurately pointing me out as one of the subverts. I still am not sure I even understand what transpired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
Upper Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Ask me about Kanban:Automotive Revolution
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry. Enjoy your weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! And thank you for giving the world Mice&Mystics, as a fan of the Redwall series by Brain Jacques I was instantly attracted to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry!

d10-1 Since the launch of Mice & Mystics, how much more e-mail/geekmail etc do you get?

d10-2 What is the most common question/comment from #1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Congratulations Jerry!

d10-1 Since the launch of Mice & Mystics, how much more e-mail/geekmail etc do you get?

d10-2 What is the most common question/comment from #1?

Thank you sir!

#1- I do get quite a bit more geek mail these days.

#2- most of the geek mail comes from nice people asking about foreign language versions of Mice & Mystics. I also have received some geek mails from parents who have bonded with their children through my game. This is doubly touching because, not only did they have a rewarding experience, but they also took the time to let me know about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry! This is a great choice and I look forward to many col questions/answers.

Here's mine:
d10-1 Can you share a pic of you favorite mini you painted possibly?
d10-2 You're on an island and can only play one game for the rest of time until Rodney and I come by in our super cool speed boat to rescue you... what game do you pray that you have with you?
d10-3 Just to continue it... Have you ever played the New Kids On The Block Gamegame and if so, who's your favorite. (PS, just for added pressure, Rodney answered this superbly )
d10-4 Any chances we'll see you on an episode of Watch it Played some day?

Congrats again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jerry! You are the best in the Plaid Hat Podcast! Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
squeek Congratulations Jerry! squeek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T. Huffman
United States
Gurnee
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats Jerry! Me and son love your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:
Congratulations Jerry! This is a great choice and I look forward to many col questions/answers.

Here's mine:
d10-1 Can you share a pic of you favorite mini you painted possibly?
d10-2 You're on an island and can only play one game for the rest of time until Rodney and I come by in our super cool speed boat to rescue you... what game do you pray that you have with you?
d10-3 Just to continue it... Have you ever played the New Kids On The Block Gamegame and if so, who's your favorite. (PS, just for added pressure, Rodney answered this superbly )
d10-4 Any chances we'll see you on an episode of Watch it Played some day?

Congrats again!

Thanks man!

d10-1I really like the dwarf with the sword in this pic:

d10-2 Heroquest naturally, and I would be Zargon
d10-3 What are you kidding me? I'm that game's one and only fan!
d10-4 Well, I have been a surprise guest on WIP and I would gladly do it again. Everyone got to see what a ham my daughter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van Eikeren
Netherlands
Hoorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A hearty battle squeak for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently became aware of the Geek of the Week threads in a Geeklist that I posted where some people were talking about it as "GotW" and I asked what it was.

From what I gathered, some people seem to think that the Geek of the Week has turned away from its original intent, which, according to the Wiki page is: "a way to get to know the diverse people in the BGG community" into more of popularity contest. And there seemed to be a lot of interest into reverting back to getting to know everyone on BGG, including "regular joes" instead of only a circle of friends, game designers, reviewers, ect.

It also seems that their are only 2 rules for "Geek of the Week" and they are:

The nominee should not be known personally to the current GotW
The nominee should be from a different continent (or country)

I have seem some discussion lately as to the disregard and/or oversight of these rules and its contribution to the tendency of the award to be given mainly to the "well-known" faces of BGG, or to friends of the current GotW.

So my questions for you are:

d10-1 How do you feel about this? Do you think that Geek of the Week should be an award for people who have contributed tons of things to the site, designed popular games, or are highly acclaimed reviewers/bloggers or do you think it should involve more variety of the types of people chosen for it?

d10-2 Do you think that awarding the "Geek of the Week" title to lesser known individuals could increase their desire to enrich the community by becoming more involved after their experience?

d10-3 What is the funnest game you have ever played? Not the "best" per se, but the one with the highest fun factor?

Congrats on being Geek of the Week!

Edited to fix a punctuation error and to add cute dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats!! Broke my streak as I knew the last 3 GotWs but I am sure you are worth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Olejniczak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry! This will be a cheesy week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congatulations on the nomination and for M&M. Great game, awesome story and outsanding desing and produccion values; the attention to the details, shows how much time and dedication was spent on it's realization. Kudos again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

My regular questions:

1.- Favourite game in my/your collection.
2.- Least favourite one in both.
3.- Have you ever been in Spain or The Netherlands?
4.- Blondes, brunetes or redheads?
5.- Can you recomend me a game?

Enjoy your week pal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
Congratulations !!!

And quick question: BattleLore - why is it special to you ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammer Man
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry!!

Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.