Hide
11 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: My DIY box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eetu Peltomäki
msg tools
Hi everyone! This is my first post and actually signed up just to show you the box I just finished for this fantastic game.

I measured and cut each separator by hand plus the labels which I glued on the separators. The task was very arduous but I like the outcome and the fact that it actually looks self-made.

There it is! The fit with three columns and card sleeves is a bit snug but not too tight. Figuring out how to divide the box into smaller sections was more of a challenge but I was able to create simple but effectie enough resolution. No glue was needed and it's still stable enough.

A closer look.

The separators are slightly smaller than the cards to make picking them up slightly easier.

I used different colors for money, points and actions. I could have used even more colors but my wife laughed at having different at all. Notice that the separators are two sided so they can be used both ways.

I have the original game plus prosperity and could fit at least another full expansion in the box. It might take a while tough before I get any more cards. The task was quite a bit more painstaking than I guessed... surprise

Give your comments!

P.S. Yes, I did borrow ideas I saw posted here. They worked nice, thank you!

If you want more pictures, I'll be happy to post them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Tuxedo Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I like the dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schm0
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping this old thread, as I'm not sure why it hasn't gotten more thumbs (you have one more now.)

Could you give me more information?

For instance, what were the materials used for the dividers and row separators?
How much did this cost?
How long did it take you to do the labels on both sides?
Are you looking into purchasing more expansions, and if so, do you have plans to reconfigure your storage methods?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Peltomäki
msg tools
schm0 wrote:
Bumping this old thread, as I'm not sure why it hasn't gotten more thumbs (you have one more now.)

Could you give me more information?

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments and sorry for answering this late. I kinda forgot to follow this thread after a while.

For instance, what were the materials used for the dividers and row separators?
I bought the thickest cardboard paper I found from the local hobbyist store, 300g I think. It could have been slightly thicker to make the dividers more sturdy but not much because it would be tough to cut. 300g works fine, no tear or wear so far.

How much did this cost?
Not much at all. With a good pen-like gel glue about 10€.

How long did it take you to do the labels on both sides?
It was an arduous task, I have to admit. I'd say roughly around 10min per each if you count all the measuring, drawing etc.. That times 50+..

Are you looking into purchasing more expansions, and if so, do you have plans to reconfigure your storage methods?
If I'm ever to get another expansion, I will have to make custom boxes too. I might be able to squeeze in another set of cards there but I'm already worried about the weight. Also, having a few one-card-wide boxes would be much more handy to carry around.

Planning, cutting and gluing some boxes isn't a task at all. But I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with some boring brown cardboard boxes. Plus, I'd have to make another set of dividers for the new expansion cards. I can easily see it becoming another much more time consuming task than I originally thought it would be.

But I haven't made any plans or decisions about any custom boxes. Some poker-like case would be nice, or wooden..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eetu wrote:
Thanks for the compliments and sorry for answering this late. I kinda forgot to follow this thread after a while.

You can subscribe to the thread by clicking the Subscribe link near the title. Then go to the subscriptions page.

It's the main way I view BGG now. I just go straight to that, and all the games, guilds, users, threads, and geeklists I've subscribed to are in one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne Bruinsma
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this looks great! Where did you get the "card names" on the deviders from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzanne24 wrote:
Wow this looks great! Where did you get the "card names" on the deviders from?

While it looks like the OP cut out the long strip that came in the box then taped them down, I urge you to check out Sumpfork's Dominion Tabbed Divider Generator.

You can print out the labels onto the precut Avery return address stickers and they work great for purposes such as these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne Bruinsma
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's great...thanks for the tip!! I prefer Dutch deviders though.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzanne24 wrote:
Wow that's great...thanks for the tip!! I prefer Dutch deviders though.....

Here's the thread - maybe you can help him add the Dutch

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/926575/web-page-generate-ta...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne Bruinsma
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hhmmm I don't think we should rely on my translation skills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.