6 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Tile Usage Monitor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spoon Unit
msg tools
Hi,

I recently started playing and enjoying Carcassonne. One thing that crops up all the time is the question of whether a given tile type has been used up yet, or how many more of them are left. It seems to become an essential part of any strategy.

So I created a little mobile web app to allow you to monitor the tiles used. It combines the SVG tile design I found on Wikipedia with some Javascript and HTML to allow you to click the tiles to indicate usage, and had an Undo button in case you click the wrong one.

In any case, I'm handing it over to you just in case you also find it useful. Here we go:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5577985/Carcassonne/CarcassonneTile...

Comments are welcome. You're also free to take what you find and re-purpose it.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spoon Unit
msg tools
Well I figured that as the game instructions tell you exactly how many of each tile there is, it's essentially in the domain of every player to keep count anyway.

Feel free not to use it too :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, it basically comes down to what skills you want your game to be based on. If you only want it to be based on strategic planning and knowing where to put tiles/meeples, then use this app. If you want to include memorization, quick counting, and familiarity with the numbers of each components, then don't use this app.

I like the idea of the app because it benefits people who have the skills the game requires (strategically placing meeples/tiles and predicting your opponents' moves) but lessens the advantage of being familiar with the game component pieces, which to me seems like an artificial advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I probably wouldn't use this app myself, I can't see anything wrong with using it. The base game includes a sheet showing all the available tiles, and I have printouts of the tiles from the expansions as well, so that during a game I can check to see how many there are of a particular type.

It's possible I'll fail to notice that a particular tile has been used, but I don't think knowing precisely which tiles are left is a huge advantage anyway, because if you rely too hard on getting the tile you want you're likely to be disappointed. I guess knowing if there are none of a particular type of tile left can be useful, but that's simply made easier with the app; it's already possible anyway.

The last game I played (using one large and two small expansions), my wife needed a specific tile to finish a city she started early in the game. There were four of them left in the bag, but I got one of those fairly quickly, and the other three didn't turn up until the last half-dozen tiles. She did finish the city in the end, but her meeple was trapped for most of the game, which could not have been predicted just from the tile availablity.

So I don't see anything wrong with using this app; I just don't think it makes that much difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
Another feature the app may utilize:

You press the 'fill hole' button on the app and a blank tile appears. You can select each side of the tile and define which terrain type it has to be (road, city, field, etc). The App then tells you if there are any remaining tiles with matching features.

IE if you have a hole in the map and you want to see if it can possibly be filled with the remaining tiles, the app tells you. Should only take a few seconds to execute once programmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.