Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cheryll Adelt
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Pinkie Fail
mbmbmbmbmb
My boyfriend and I decided to play another session of Mansions of Madness. He was the Keeper, while I decided to play 2 Investigators, just to keep things a bit more interesting. We tried playing with just one investigator before, and that was pretty much a slaughter-fest on me.

I chose:
Jenny Barnes with “It's Personal” and “Armed and Fabulous” for a bit of girl power fight action

Harvey Walter the Professor with “Professor's Instinct” and “Artifact Collector” as my puzzle solver

Jenny and Harvey arrive in the garden. They build a small camp fire to keep warm, but decide to explore a bit first. Harvey searches the garden. He finds a cabinet, but can't open it without a brass key, so he goes in the direction of the small house by the front path.
In the meantime Jenny walks into the other shack and searches the entryway, but finds nothing of interest there.
Both feel an ominous presence in the area.

Jenny goes on to search the bedroom beyond the entryway and finds a bottle of whiskey, good to keep the spirit up. Then she tries to go into the small storage room beyond, but sees it is locked by a rune puzzle, which she manages to open without much thought. She steps into a small storage space.
Harvey walks towards the small structure and stumbles over an old knife on the way, which he pockets. It might be useful, since he did not come armed. Fighting is not his strong point, but it's good to be able to defend oneself. He then goes on to open the door to the small house. Upon entering it he feels a dreadful passage and his mind slips a bit. (he takes one horror, now 13)

Suddenly the fire from the campfire starts to spread on the dry grass. First the garden is aflame, then it spreads to the front porch as well as the entryway of the shack Jenny is in.

As the flames crackle just one room from Jenny she hears a strange voice speaking in her head, asking her to honor a pact her uncle had made. She does not trust any supernatural beings and declines. The ominous creature speaking to her is not too happy with that and a Mi-Go manifests in the closet beside her.

Jenny, levelheaded as she is, manages to grab a small book she can spot on a shelf before running from the room. Sadly she isn't fast enough and the monster slashes at her back as she exits the room. (She takes 2 damage, now 8)
Harvey sees the flames erupting and makes for the front yard, out of harms way. He stumbles upon a small container, sealed with a rune lock, which Harvey manages to unlock without much trouble. He has experience with this sort of spells, after all. Inside he finds an interesting artifact, an elder sign, which he immediately hangs around his neck. Better safe than sorry.

The Mi-Go follows Jenny into the bedroom. Caught between a fire and a monster she decides to make a dash for it. She takes her courage in both hands and runs from both the fire and the monster into the graveyard, and arrives there unharmed.
Harvey meanwhile tries to take shelter in the mud room, but finds it barred with a complicated electrical lock. He makes good progress on circumventing it, but it takes him a while to reroute all wires.

Now also the front yard around Harvey catches fire. The Mi-Go tries to follow Jenny but only reaches the burning garden, and gets burned. (It takes 2 damage for ending his turn in the flames. Now at 4 health)

A buzzing noise can be heard from both investigators from the isolated shack in the south and another Mi-Go manifests there.

Jenny takes a shot with her .45 automatic pistols at the burned creature following her. She manages a splendid shot right into its eye and the creature falls to the ground, defeated. (5 damage to the Mi-Go kills it)
Harvey now manages to wire the lock as to let him pass and enters the mud room to hide from the flames. He spots a bright, gleaming crucifix on the wall of the dirty room and decides he might just need that at some point.

The Mi-Go in the shack moves east to the patio. The fire slowly creeps to the back yard, surrounding the Mi-Go's former hiding place.

Jenny decides she might as well have a look around the graveyard and finds a .38 colt just lying around. As the flames have pretty much cut her off from her companion and any safe place she decides to take a risk and runs to the flaming back yard, getting a few burns from the blazing heat. (She takes 2 damage for ending her turn in a burning room. Now at 6 stamina)
Harvey decides that, with the spreading fire, the shack is hardly a safe place and makes a mad dash for the as of yet flame-free patio. The cellar entrance might prove to be a more reasonable hiding place from the inferno.

The Mi-Go advances on Harvey, and before he has time to defend himself, rips out a few strands of hair and makes of through the cellar door into the root cellar.

Jenny, still surrounded by flames tries to find temporary shelter in the storage shack. It's locked by a padlock, but she finds this is no match for her nimble fingers. In the shack she finds a clue as well as a crowbar, which might come in handy. Just as she picks up this instrument lightning flashes and a zombie rises from the ground right beside Harvey.
Startled by the zombie Harvey pulls out the crucifix he just found in the mud room and shoves it into the zombies face. The creature shrieks and falls to the ground startled. But it is not dead yet, just temporarily disabled. Harvey cannot move away from the patio, since the rest of the garden is in flames, so he huddles into the farthest corner, and hopes for the best.

Meanwhile the Mi-Go makes its way through the furnace room.

Jenny runs to the patio to help Harvey out. She attacks the zombie with her .45 Automatic. The shot hits it square in the chest and the zombie stumbles back into the burning front yard. (The shot deals 3 damage, zombie is now at 3)
Harvey searches the patio and finds a manhole cover that might be used as shelter, but he has no way to open it. Therefore he moves to the entrance of the cellar, to find shelter there.

The Mi-Go makes it's way to the first cave and it's altar. He places Harvey's hair on it. This fuels the evil presence surrounding the estate.
The zombie, now recovered from the holy symbol, shambles towards Harvey and also pulls out another strand of his hair. It moves quite fast for such a decrepit creature and follows the Mi-Go into the cellar.
Both investigators feel waves of dread run over them as they have a feeling of not one but two evil presences around them.

Jenny uses the crowbar she just found to lift the manhole cover. She finds the next clue as well as a brass key. There is also a subterranean way further south, which she does not want to follow right now. (A ladder token is placed on that space)
Harvey tries to open the cellar door to follow the creatures. They obviously plan nothing good with the hair taken from him. But the way is barred by a magical lock for which he does not yet have the proper password. He goes back to Jenny. They counsel what to do and Harvey decides that he will run back through the fire to open the cabinet, for which he assumes they now have the proper key, which Jenny gives to him.(Trade the brass key during keeper trade phase)

The zombie shambles through the furnace room while the Mi-Go enters the chasm. The investigators feel again the evil presence. They have to hurry.
Jenny remembers suddenly a long forgotten phrase: ”As you are, I once was. As I am, you shall be.” She decides that this sounds very much like a death sentence and does not repeat the whispering in her head.

As Harvey moves to make a dash through the flames the skies darken. The zombie and Mi-Go move. (Keeper plays “Strange skies” and uses a keeper action)
Harvey runs into the flaming backyard. Suddenly he hears strange voices calling his name, but he can see no one but Jenny. His mind falters and he panics (He takes 1 horror from “Who is there” and gains a trauma “Panic”). Wildly he runs in the opposite direction he wanted to go to the burning front yard. But he manages to control himself and runs back to the garden where he wanted to go, but he gets burned for 2 damage in the progress. (He has 4 stamina now)
Jenny meanwhile decides to explore the manhole and finds a way into a cave. She emerges right besides the Mi-Go. The feeling that something from below is lurking makes her shiver (She takes 1 horror from mythos-card “From below”). This triggers Nyctophobia, a severe fear of darkness.(Keeper played Trauma “Nyctophobia” on Jenny) But not only that, she's unlucky enough to stumble over a corpse on the ground and wake another zombie. (She fails a luck check and a zombie appears) This startles her so much she pulls out her gun and tries to fire, but the gun jams. (She fails her horror check and gains 1 horror for a sanity of 7. Keeper plays “Gun Jam” mythos-card on her) She then decides to attack the Mi-Go with her crowbar, but the monster anticipates her attack and trips her (She fails the intelligence check for her attack and takes 2 damage for now 4 stamina. She gets the trauma “broken leg”), and the fall breaks her leg.

The Mi-Go rips a few hairs out of Jenny's head and both the Mi-Go and the first zombie shamble towards the altar. The zombie that Jenny awoke tries to attack her, but she manages to evade it even with her bad leg.

Harvey has made his way through the flames to the cabinet and opens it with his brass key. Here he finds the next clue as well as the magic phrase he needs to enter the cellar door. He makes a mad dash to the patio.

The first zombie and Mi-Go move onto the altar and place the ripped out hair there. The other zombie tries again to hit Jenny, but she is nimble and evades him again.

Harvey goes to the cellar door and opens the magical lock. He searches the root cellar and finds the penultimate clue as well as a silver key.
Jenny shoots at the zombie with her .45 automatic. She hits it square in the chest and deals 5 damage. It's obvious this creature is badly wounded.

Suddenly the ground rumbles. The ritual is completed. Jenny and Harvey fall dead to the ground. The ritual has been completed and Jenny's uncle will live through the death of his blood-relative.
(The zombie activates his sample first. The objective is revealed. 3 samples need to be placed and the keeper wins. The Mi-Go can place his sample immediately after, without the investigators being able to react to it at all. They both die and the keeper has won.)

The game table just after our terrible and sudden defeat.

Conclusion:
I really enjoyed the scenario, but I found the very sudden conclusion disappointing. I assumed he needed at least one more sample to complete, and as such did not pursue the monsters as fast as I perhaps could have done. Since he got 2 samples to the altar at the exact same time, I had no chance to react to the revelation of the objective, which I assume was exactly his plan, but it would have been so much more fun if I could have at least tried to make a crazy dash to safe the day in the last minute

P.S. I have never done any session reports, so I'd be grateful for some comments and tips what I could improve or change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic D
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really a beautifully written, thematic game report !

Thanks for taking the trouble to write and post it for us to enjoy !

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Greetings, cosmic children of the universe. Welcome to my serenity circle. Please leave all bad vibes outside the healing vortex. Now prepare-I knew I should have got that warranty.
badge
The days of our kind are numberèd. The one God comes to drive out the many gods. The spirits of wood and stream grow silent. It's the way of things. Yes... it's a time for men, and their ways.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the better ones I've read recently. It was detailed enough to make it a fun read and included a few relevant illustrations. Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tore Halvorsen
Norway
flag msg tools
The play summaries from Dam the Man are also quite entertaining...

http://boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/83330?userid=166107
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe N.
msg tools
Great report, but I think there was a rules error here:

Quote:
Jenny meanwhile decides to explore the manhole and finds a way into a cave. She emerges right besides the Mi-Go. The feeling that something from below is lurking makes her shiver (She takes 1 horror from mythos-card “From below”). This triggers Nyctophobia, a severe fear of darkness.(Keeper played Trauma “Nyctophobia” on Jenny) But not only that, she's unlucky enough to stumble over a corpse on the ground and wake another zombie. (She fails a luck check and a zombie appears) This startles her so much she pulls out her gun and tries to fire, but the gun jams. (She fails her horror check and gains 1 horror for a sanity of 7. Keeper plays “Gun Jam” mythos-card on her) She then decides to attack the Mi-Go with her crowbar, but the monster anticipates her attack and trips her (She fails the intelligence check for her attack and takes 2 damage for now 4 stamina. She gets the trauma “broken leg”), and the fall breaks her leg.

Isn't the Keeper limited to playing only one Mythos card per investigator's turn? Here, the Keeper played two Mythos cards on Jenny during what I think was a single one of her turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Adelt
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Pinkie Fail
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. We didn't notice it, thank you for pointing that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.