Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Campaign Decisions

Some months ago, one of the gamers in my group bought Descent 2e based on a love of the previous edition and a desire to bring it back to our group. She was an experienced 1e Overlord and wanted to have a similar play experience once again - a play experience that revolved around mercilessly crushing the heroes for great pain and pleasure.

Although I wanted to take part in this (in my mind, the heroes would, for great justice, seek to defeat the Overlord once and for all, of course), we didn't get around to starting our campaign until last night. We also made the possible mistake of convincing our Overlord to purchase the Conversion Kit which left her with options that could possibly be far over the board - but it also opened up some options for us.

Hero selection went fairly quickly, even with all the available options that the Conversion Kit opened up. It helped that we were fairly sure we needed a Healer and a Warrior and I was pretty hot to trot on the Necromancer, which left us without a Scout - but then we didn't need to examine this.

Although there was a debate over using Varikas the Dead paired with Elder Mok as our Warrior and Healer, our party ended up being the following:

• Mad Carthos the Necromancer (along with Bob the Reanimate)
• Steelhorns the Knight
• Okaluk the Disciple and Rakash

Those decisions made, it was time to draw First Blood!

-----------------------------------

First Blood

A few weeks prior had been our Overlord's birthday party and we played through First Blood at the beginning of the night, then we had played Fat Goblin later in the night. Both of the times we got absolutely smoked, although the First Blood defeat was more due to not being aware that we'd lose once the fifth goblin left the map.

This time, we came at it with a fairly decent strategy - we'd take out the three goblin minions as quickly as we could so that only the master stood a chance of making it out. Then it would be fairly easy to keep up with the goblins that spawned while focusing most of our damage on Mauler. We also worked into our strategy that Okaluk would provide the necessary mobility to get the treasure in the goblin's garden, while Mad Carthos would drop Bob off in the combat and retreat to grab the opening treasure.

Of course, no plan survives first contact with the enemy. The first thing we realized is that, although Mad Carthos was well acquainted with death through the study of Necromancy, the madness also came with his close acquaintance with the ground while being knocked out for one reason or another. Mad Carthos the Mostly-Dead became his other moniker.

The Overlord tried to keep Mauler in the way of us getting at the Search in the camp, but trust Steelhorns to be able to make a hole wherever he can. There were some discussions about what counted as "adjacent" for a large monster and how the shrink-move worked for that, but we worked it out and Steelhorns picked up that Search.

Okaluk followed their part of the plan to a T and got the Search back in the goblin garden on the second turn, as well as helping out Bob with the minion that popped up. At some point, Carthos died and the wolfrider stood him back up so that he could fire off a magic blast and move towards the initial search.

Though Mad Carthos bit the dust two or three times, we still managed to come out pretty clean. Almost as expected, the master goblin archer made it away clean. Although we downed all three of the opening minions, one of the later spawns got through with a timely Dash (oh, Dash, how we hate you). When Mauler went down and gasped out his cryptic statement, there was only one other goblin archer on the board.

We ended up with 75 gold worth of treasure and everyone picked up their single point of experience. Mad Carthos grabbed Corpse Blast, Okaluk took Blessed Strike, while Steelhorns decided to bank his experience for the future. Our options in the store were Chain Mail, Leather Armor, Luck Trinket and an Iron Shield - nothing appetizing enough to go for with the amount of liquidity we had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report.
falarransted wrote:
Hero selection went fairly quickly, even with all the available options that the Conversion Kit opened up.
I wish I could say the same for my group. They are notoriously slow at choosing characters, so much so that I dread the nights when we do one-off quests rather than campaign quests.
falarransted wrote:
...the First Blood defeat was more due to not being aware that we'd lose once the fifth goblin left the map.
Just to be sure, you guys know that all quest information is open to all players unless otherwise stated, right? The Overlord shouldn't be intentionally keeping quest information from the heroes, and especially not victory conditions.
falarransted wrote:
Mad Carthas the Mostly-Dead became his other moniker.
I'm actually playing as Mad Carthos in our current campaign. He is a great damage dealer (better as a Runemaster than a Necromancer, in my opinion), but yeah, he's super squishy. We try to keep me at the back behind our tanks whenever we can.
falarransted wrote:
We ended up with 75 gold worth of treasure... Our options in the store were Chain Mail, Leather Armor, Luck Trinket and an Iron Shield - nothing appetizing enough to go for with the amount of liquidity we had.
Those are actually all pretty good shop items--Chain Mail especially. Of course, you wouldn't have been able to afford the Chain Mail with only 75 gold, but the Iron Shield would be a decent, cheap upgrade for Okaluk. Since he can sell his Wooden Shield for 25 gold, he could have picked up the Iron Shield for just an extra 25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Dexter345 wrote:
Nice session report.
falarransted wrote:
Hero selection went fairly quickly, even with all the available options that the Conversion Kit opened up.
I wish I could say the same for my group. They are notoriously slow at choosing characters, so much so that I dread the nights when we do one-off quests rather than campaign quests.

This is probably more due to the fact that I knew I wanted to go for Necromancer and Mad Carthos being one of the standout best for that - even if he is rather squishy. I did think about Loric though, because that -Heart is pretty awesome.
Dexter345 wrote:
falarransted wrote:
...the First Blood defeat was more due to not being aware that we'd lose once the fifth goblin left the map.
Just to be sure, you guys know that all quest information is open to all players unless otherwise stated, right? The Overlord shouldn't be intentionally keeping quest information from the heroes, and especially not victory conditions.

After not knowing that the first time, we made sure to read the quests ourselves. We were just trusting the Overlord to tell us more or less what was up. ... Trusting the Overlord was probably our first mistake.
Dexter345 wrote:
falarransted wrote:
We ended up with 75 gold worth of treasure... Our options in the store were Chain Mail, Leather Armor, Luck Trinket and an Iron Shield - nothing appetizing enough to go for with the amount of liquidity we had.
Those are actually all pretty good shop items--Chain Mail especially. Of course, you wouldn't have been able to afford the Chain Mail with only 75 gold, but the Iron Shield would be a decent, cheap upgrade for Okaluk. Since he can sell his Wooden Shield for 25 gold, he could have picked up the Iron Shield for just an extra 25.

I think we wavered on the Shield. On the one hand - reroll. On the other hand, the only DEFINITE thing it gets you is the same as the wooden shield, so it's only better on a good roll. I think banking the money was decent, but it could have been handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ashrad
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
falarransted wrote:

falarransted wrote:
I think we wavered on the Shield. On the one hand - reroll. On the other hand, the only DEFINITE thing it gets you is the same as the wooden shield, so it's only better on a good roll. I think banking the money was decent, but it could have been handy.

As the Steelhorns player, I really was hoping I could have gotten that chainmail. While I have alot of HP, I could have stacked that with the Knight ability to force attacks to hit me to really be a tank. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it, so I lobbied to bank our gold for better items. The shield could have been a good upgrade for a mere 25gp, but not enough to make me deviate from my plan to go straight for the Level 3 Knight inspire ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virko Jõelaid
msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
Just to be sure, you guys know that all quest information is open to all players unless otherwise stated, right?

I have not found anything like that so far... could anyone point me to the encounter where something should be kept secret from heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition Quest Guide, Page 2, Setup wrote:
In some quests, a unique search token is used. This usually represents a quest-specific item the heroes must find. The possible locations of this item are shown as "*" on the quest map. When placing these tokens, the overlord takes the unique search token with enough generic search tokens to cover each space marked with a "*" on the quest map. He then secretly places one token facedown on each of these spaces. Unless specified, the overlord may choose which of these spaces contains the unique search token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.