$10.00
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Mainly due to our familiarity with it from the session a few weeks ago and because it looked to be one of the easier quests due to the rewards, we decided to for the Fat Goblin. During the travel, we had a test which Mad Carthos handily past that let him look at the Overlord's hand and discard one card - but another event allowed the Overlord to draw another card. A bit of a wash, but then we knew about her Trip Wire.

During setup, the Overlord chose one of her classically favorite monster types - Beastmen - for the open group. She set them up with an open hole available for us to run through, which absolutely changed the way we were going to approach it. We also didn't realize that the Overlord reinforced first, which meant that if you can't kill two, don't try to kill at all.

Okaluk ran through first and the Overlord did nothing to stop them - after that Steelhorns tried and hit a trip wire on his first step. After that, he chose to move on and make an attack against one of the Beastmen with his hero ability, dropping the minion, but ending his turn in a less than optimal position.

Mad Carthos just ran screaming like a little girl.

It didn't help though - the Overlord spawned a Beastman to replace the one that Steelhorns downed and double-attacked him. It hurt a bit, but didn't bring the minotaur down. Then the master and the remaining minion went after Mad Carthos and dropped him. Then all the goblins double-moved to be in range of the crops next turn.

At this point, we had a few decisions to make - the first of which being how to get as many crops from being taken and the second how to get Mad Carthos back into the fight at the same time. We decided to let Okaluk run up and get the crop closest to the goblins and drop it off by fatigue moving once (or twice) and have Steelhorns run up and get Mad Carthos up. Mad Carthos would then raise Bob and get into the crop area.

This worked … to an extent - and Bob was able to take down one of the goblins, which was quite helpful - but the Overlord definitely took the momentum by downing Carthos again, as well as taking Okaluk, Rakash and Bob down as well. She also got two crops picked up and started out.

This left Steelhorns with the best move being to bullrush in and knock those goblins back, raising Carthos, who could make one action - raising Bob again and also standing Okaluk up. Okaluk then was able to attack, but missed anyway.

After that, it was all downhill. With the Beastmen in the garden, they kept downing Carthos and the goblins made it beyond the point of being able to be stopped. We decided after that point that our best strategy was just to get all the Searches. This turned out okay. Not brilliant, but we ended up with a Stamina Potion and a Power Potion, which are both pretty handy - but I think we would have preferred to stop the goblins for a better player feel.

This led us on to encounter two - which was a much closer deal without the Beastmen available to the Overlord.

---------------------------------------------

In encounter two, we started out pretty horrible for party state - with Steelhorns down to a single wound left and both Carthos and Okaluk at or around half health. The Overlord picked the classic monster for the open group in this encounter - Shadow Dragons. We had faced these the last time we played this encounter, so we were ready for them.

We opened by focusing on the Cave Spiders and wiping them out - including Mad Carthos' first usage of Corpse Blast, which unfortunately did a lacklustre three hearts of damage, that only killed off one of the spiders. After we got them down, we hung back at the end of our turn to make sure not to go far enough in where the Overlord would be able to hit us with the Shadow Dragon (for some reason, we thought he had a ranged attack).

All this while, the Overlord let the Shadow Dragon just chill in the first room while she had the goblins drop off the prisoners and had Splig interrogate. He never missed an interrogation check, but only found Frederic on the very last check.

By that time, we had pulled a maneuver that involved Okaluk opening the first door, which allowed Steelhorns to push through the goblins that had now made it to that room, leaving a path for Mad Carthos to follow through and duck into the hallway with the prisoners, leaving Bob to choke the hallway a bit.

Bob, unfortunately, is a flimsy thing to block a hallway with and the Shadow Dragon made it in with Steelhorns and Mad Carthos, while using goblins to close the door on Okaluk. Although the dragon didn't manage to take down either of the two heroes, it did hurt a good deal and left them at sort of a bad location to block the hallway and try to whale on Splig. They managed to get him down to half health in two shots (Heroic Feat for Carthos, ho!), but on the next turn, the Shadow Dragon dropped Carthos, leaving a hole for Splig to get through - which is when the Overlord pulled out her Dash cards.

In the first action, Splig made it all the way out into the opening hallway, but Okaluk managed to catch up and knock him down to three wounds remaining - but then was dropped by the goblins and the Overlord made it to victory.

This was a bit of a mixed bag - a few more lucky rolls and at least one slightly different decision (if Okaluk had used Prayer of Healing on herself towards the end, she might have been able to drop Splig), we might have made it. However, we did get another 125 gold out of it.

For Campaign stuff - Okaluk took Armor of Faith, while Mad Carthos took the Fury of Undeath. There was nothing terribly appetizing in the shop for another time - but it might be best to just bank our gold until Act II at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Detritus da Rock
Sweden
flag msg tools
I must say I really enjoy reading your resumes. We have just finished the exact same quests with just two heroes. The outcome was also the same. Altough playing as the overlord, I can't help but feel that the Fat Goblin quest is not favoring the heroes. Perhaps some other tactical choices on their behalf could have changed this. But if the overlord manages to draw some dash cards, the heroes will surely have a hard time. I also get the feeling that playing with four heroes would make it harder for the overlord, but I don't know if that is correct?

Anyways... Good luck on your continued journey. Pretty sure Mad Carthas will prevail in the end (screaming like a girl)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, Detritus! I'm enjoying writing them! I wish I had taken some notes though to get some of the details down. Although I hit the biggest points, I think there were some other bits I might have missed.

I think our biggest failure (which my wife, who played Okaluk and Rakash pointed out), was that we didn't consider the important part of the quest. The important part is not to stop Splig from getting out with Frederic - it's to kill Splig. If we had bum-rushed through the spiders and gone straight for Splig, we might have had a better time of it.

Or we might gotten pinched between the spiders on one side and the Shadow Dragon on the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
falarransted wrote:
We decided to let Okaluk run up and get the crop closest to the goblins and drop it off by fatigue moving once (or twice) and have Steelhorns run up and get Mad Carthas up. Mad Carthas would then raise Bob and get into the crop area.

This left Steelhorns with the best move being to bullrush in and knock those goblins back, raising Carthas, who could make one action - raising Bob again and also standing Okaluk up. Okaluk then was able to attack, but missed anyway.

That's one of the cool things about Mad Carthos. When you're knocked out, you take Fatigue up to your Stamina, and when you get back up, you only have about a 30% chance of recovering Fatigue, but with his Hero Ability, he can still do one Fatigue-costing ability (such as Raise Dead) per turn, right after getting up. Just to be sure, however, Carthos should have still been able to have two actions on his turn if Steelhorns revived him, not just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Dexter345 wrote:
falarransted wrote:
We decided to let Okaluk run up and get the crop closest to the goblins and drop it off by fatigue moving once (or twice) and have Steelhorns run up and get Mad Carthas up. Mad Carthas would then raise Bob and get into the crop area.

This left Steelhorns with the best move being to bullrush in and knock those goblins back, raising Carthas, who could make one action - raising Bob again and also standing Okaluk up. Okaluk then was able to attack, but missed anyway.

That's one of the cool things about Mad Carthos. When you're knocked out, you take Fatigue up to your Stamina, and when you get back up, you only have about a 30% chance of recovering Fatigue, but with his Hero Ability, he can still do one Fatigue-costing ability (such as Raise Dead) per turn, right after getting up. Just to be sure, however, Carthos should have still been able to have two actions on his turn if Steelhorns revived him, not just one.

It was more of an artistic use of the word action than an actual game one. You'll notice that he did two things - summoning Bob from the depths of the earth to rise again and strike fear into the hearts of Beastmen and Goblins - and also he helped Okaluk and Rakash get back into the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falarransted wrote:

It didn't help though - the Overlord spawned a Beastman to replace the one that Steelhorns downed and double-attacked him. It hurt a bit, but didn't bring the minotaur down. Then the master and the remaining minion went after Mad Carthos and dropped him. Then all the goblins double-moved to be in range of the crops next turn.

Only lieutenant can double action, the other monsters are doomed with only move + strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
IKerensky wrote:
falarransted wrote:

Only lieutenant can double action, the other monsters are doomed with only move + strike.

Beastmen have Ravage, which allows both actions to be an Attack.

The rules don't say anything about monsters being allowed to only take one movement. The only thing they say is that they can take two actions and only one of those can be an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ashrad
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Good write-ups. Thanks Jesse! Since you did the hard work, I'll just add my thoughts.

I'm the Steelhorns player in this campaign and I have to say I found this quest frustrating (first of many I'm sure). I chose Steelhorns specifically because of his heroic (bullrush through monsters) and the reports I've seen online about how Overlords will commonly block narrow hallways with monsters.

In the first encounter, I think my first error was in attacking that Beastman after getting stopped by the tripwire instead of going for the search token in the starting area. As Carthos' player indicated, the beastman just respawned immediately. Our bad for not checking how reinforcements worked first.

I don't recall exactly how Mad Carthos got caught by the beastmen, but I don't think they had to use a dash. Had Carthos fatigue-moved farther up, he may have survived that 1st round. As we're coming to realize, Carthos is going to need to play it more safely as he's just too squishy. The OL is targeting him specifically and gaining cards as well as slowing us down by constantly killing him.

Overall, I think the first encounter here is stacked against the heroes. The goblins just move too damn fast to reliably stop. Had we all double-moved (and not been trapped) and fatigued as far as we could to get to the farm ASAP, we might have been able to kill the goblins before they got away, but by arriving piecemeal and battered from Beastmen, we were lucky to save the one crop we did. As the OL pointed out, we did have an opportunity to save a 2nd crop, but we thought we could kill the one goblin left in the farm area and ending up missing twice. I still think it was the correct tactical choice to try to kill the goblin, but the dice screwed us.

Ultimately we went for getting all the search tokens as a consolation prize, but the beastmen beat us down hard in that last turn and specifically left me up with 1 HP remaining rather than kill me because it would mean I would go into the 2nd encounter near-death. Good play by the OL, but kinda crappy for the heroes that you can't heal up between encounters.

---

In the 2nd encounter, I think the heroes lost for a couple reasons. First, we didn't go for Splig aggressively enough. Had we made a hole in the spider group and simply charged in, we probably would have taken casualties, but at least we could have gotten to Splig when he was still trapped in the interrogation chamber unable to run away. However, if the OL had gotten lucky and discovered the correct prisoner earlier, we might have ended up charging into the Shadow Dragon just as Splig came out and really screwing ourselves over.

Ultimately, we lost because of the Shadow Dragon being such a great blocker (especially early in the campaign when your melee fighters can't realistically hit it). As Jesse pointed out above, we did get both Mad Carthos and Steelhorns into the interrogation chamber with Splig and got in some solid hits. The very next turn however, the OL was able to run Splig out of the room and place the Shadow Dragon in the hallway so that we couldn't pursue. It felt really shitty to be completely unable to do anything at that point. All we could do was cheer our healer on and hope she could take Splig down alone as she was the only one left on that side of the dragon.

In the end it was close, I think Splig was down to 3, but I'm still disappointed by being blocked in by the dragon. The OL told me afterwards that I probably should have saved my bullrush for the chase out instead of charging in. I'm not sure about that because stopping to fight around the dragon to make a hole in the goblins seems like it would have made things even worse, but it's hard to say what could have happened.

I'm fearful now that we're in the losing cycle where the OL gets to pick each quest. I'm betting we're going to get quest after quest that is stacked against us, but maybe we can turn it around with luck and good play.

Thanks again Jesse for doing the reports!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
They didn't need to dash, no. I was just in range of them and, well, there were two options - I could have fatigued further in, which would have had me alive and in a good position to start whaling on the goblins. Or I could have single-moved, triple-fatigued and moved my Reanimate in. I would still have died, but I could have been resurrected immediately by our healer and probably be able to get the Reanimate in a good location for a Corpse Blast on the goblins.

I think we have a fair chance to turn this around, depending on the Overlord's choice of next quest. I'm not going to say anything about that choice for fear of biasing her, but I think we might just have a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.