Hide
11 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » Variants

Subject: My SMB Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Criss Horst
msg tools
I saw a topic awhile back about using a Gashapon Bowser figure as a boss and figured I'd take it a step further. I found the Bowser fig down at my local Target, but for the rest of the figures I had to search around the web and ebay. I'm still looking another Koopa Troopa but I refuse to pay $8 for one. For now the shell will just have to work.
Most stats and abilities are based on Mario RPG or the Paper Mario series.

Originally I was thinking of doing something similar to Turtle(change to shell form and get Kicked!), but then the expansion came out and I didn't want to copy too much. So I gave them Lance to represent them going into their shell and sliding at the enemy.

I wanted something simple but in large groups can do some damage. Theyre kind of right in the middle of a Knucklehead and a Gouger.

In my playtesting, Bob-omb has been the most fun to use. He's one the heroes want to get rid of quick due to his explode ability. His low move stops him from being overpowered but if left alone can cause some major damage to a team early on.

Similar in fashion to Starfire but I think just enough difference to need a different strategy to take out. Opinions? Too powerful? Too underwelming? Let me know

The Luigi in the background will be used for a campaign I'm working on. Something along the lines of, first mission will be something small where you have to rescue Luigi. After that he runs the shop inbetween missions where you can buy and sell gear with the gold coins you earn everytime you hit LOOT on the Loot-O-Meter.

I still need to put together Bowser's Adventure Effects and some special Loot cards to finish my expansion completely. Any ideas throw them my way.

Let me know what you guys think. See any typos or errors, let me know and critiques are more than welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

Very cool idea. I just did a quick glance over them. My ideas are that the Koopa Troopa would be better at an armor of 1 and the Bob-ombs should be at a zero, since anything sets them off. Also their explode should be dangerous, and possibly have a set backlash status that auto-triggers an explode at a smaller scale. (Not sure how to word this best for the game).

Actually a more accurate way to do it is to leave them on the board until next activation and then auto-explode them. That would make more sense to the actual SMB series.

Another thought with them is to make them insignificant too, so it isn't a wasted attack to "ignite" them.

Just a few quick thoughts...i don't know how balanced they would be tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fen
Wales
Cardiff
The Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:

Very cool idea. I just did a quick glance over them. My ideas are that the Koopa Troopa would be better at an armor of 1 and the Bob-ombs should be at a zero, since anything sets them off. Also their explode should be dangerous, and possibly have a set backlash status that auto-triggers an explode at a smaller scale. (Not sure how to word this best for the game).

Correct, 2 white armor is way too good for a generic minion type, these guys are too tough. You're right with the Bob-ombs as well.

To be honest, all three minion types are unbalanced. The Troopers are too tough, should not have and also shouldn't really have lance (Also, why aren't there Red Koopas and Green Koopas?) The Bob-ombs - sheesh - I don't know where to start. 4 movement is not enough of a drawback, they should advance the power gauge when you Explode them, otherwise frankly I would be exploding that puppy every single turn - no point leaving it on the board for the heroes to kill. Dangerous is a must have drawback on it if you're going to have that green dice.

The Goombas are also too good, but here it's an easier solution - they shouldn't have two actions. With two actions they're significantly better than Knuckleheads, you're describing them as being between Gougers and Knuckleheads - but they're actually far more threatening than either.

Finally, drop Mob from them, it doesn't suit their style and unless they're designed to not ever be played alongside Kobolds, it's one boost too many.

However, Bowser is pretty well designed, no issues there at all, so good job on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Super Dungeon Explore: Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
Styfen wrote:
Correct, 2 white armor is way too good for a generic minion type, these guys are too tough.

They are a 2-skull minion, comparable to that of the Kobold Ironscale. The Ironscale has 2 white armor, along with an ability that boosts that even further. It's not too good...it's quite in-line with the official models for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Koopa-Troopa isn't what I would picture as a tank tho like an Ironscale. Perhaps a Buzzy Beetle?

And I didn't notice the mob. That doesn't bother me as much apart from I am not making the connection to mob and SMB.

Actually it might be better to add something like a Buzzy Beetle, or Spiney as a tank, and also Hammer Bros too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
demondude777 wrote:
A Koopa-Troopa isn't what I would picture as a tank tho like an Ironscale.

I'll give ya that, but that isn't the point I was contending. The comment I was responding to was "2 white armor is too much for a generic minion".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh, that's super cute -- I may break down and steal this and go hunting for these figures too ^,^

If only the turtles in Roxor had any of the cuteness of Koopa Troopas!
Sadly, the cute factor was pretty low in that set compared to SDE and what we've seen of Drakk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_O wrote:
If only the turtles in Roxor had any of the cuteness of Koopa Troopas!
Sadly, the cute factor was pretty low in that set compared to SDE and what we've seen of Drakk.

But but but... the turtles are so cute! ^-^!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Criss Horst
msg tools
So I had a long post about some changes and other things when the site went down on me. Lets see how much I can remember. Most of my reasoning with my design was SDE is based on old RPGs so I based my mario characters mainly on the Paper Mario series.

I agree with the Koopas armor being only 1. I actually playtested them that way not realizing it. When I was designing them, I thought about how you have to hit them twice, once to knock them into their shell and a second time to get rid of them. Realized it was better to just give them 2 health instead. It makes a lot more sense that way. They have Lance because that was the best thing I could think of that wasn't to close to the Turtle and Thwack! combo, but still represented them going into their shell and sliding at the Hero as in Paper Mario. Theres no hate towards the green Koopas. I would perfer one of each. I just can't get ahold of any...

The Goombas have Mob because I wanted them to still work with other enemies in SDE and in the Paper Mario series they seem to always try and gang up on you. Maybe I'll drop their activations to 1 and change Headbonk to 1. I've honestly never seen anybody use 2 seperate activations though. I guess thats why it never really occurued to me. Good catch.
Everybody seems to want to compare all the stats to the Kobolds but I looked at the Drake Denizens and used those as starting points with Kobold influence. Thats also why theres only 6 baddies, just like the dragons egg clutch spawn point.

With Bob-omb, I play the Consul 99% more than I do heroes so I was probably bias towards him. I tried playing with ideas for a timer but the best I could come up with was an ability where you activate and if bob-omb gets killed while active he then explodes with the Explode ability. Without an option to explode on demand bob-omb just becomes an easy target for rangers and something melee guys would completely avoid. I like having Dangerous in there for theme. I added the no advance on the power gtrack was the way I look at things, the power track is there for the Consuls advantage, not the heroes. The Consul wants to attack just as offen as the heroes so he can get out more, bigger baddies quicker and before the heroes grabs to much loot. You still advance the track for every hit on a hero, just not for the hit that destroys bob-omb.

Keep feeding me the inputs guys. With everyones help I think we could make a decent expansion and once we're done Ill upload it to the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronin 4life
United States
flag msg tools
Bah, My comment is gone... because my tablet reset!! O[]O//
Is.. is it spreading? The bad luck of comment deletion? O.o

Anyway...

I had some thoughts(on this already awesome Idea) about the bob-omb.
Perhaps if you gave it a special ability(I forget the in-game terminology... but I think it is the Blue button action type) that triggers explosion upon the bob-ombs next activation, you could achieve a timer like effect? When a figure uses a specially ability(or potion) it's effects stay active until its next activation. Only in this case, activation causes explosion!
Further, the ability could give Bob-omb a WILL buffer(say, 1G) that gives the console an initiaive advantage that allows for bomb placement and activation. 
(Example: The dark console activates its last minion, the bob-omb. He moves him towards the heroes and activates "Timed explosion". During the next round, the WILL bonus helps give the DC the initiative needed to go first, activating Bob-omb which results in detonation) In this scenario, the loot and adventure trackers do not advance.

And perhaps giving the Bob-omb a trait that force activates its timed explosive attack upon dropping to 0 hearts instead of removing it or giving it extra health(or both combined) can allow for death based explosion. And, of course, its explosion would be dangerous...^,^;;
(Example: A ranger shoots a bob-omb, killing it. Instead of removing the minion, "Timed Explosion" activates. Unfortunately for the DC, it is the only minion not yet activated this round, and is surrounded by Kobolds...) In this scenario, the adventure and loot trackers advance.

Some example text could read like...
(Timed Explosion: WIL 1G Bob-bom has 0 hearts. Upon next activation, bob-omb uses Explosion)
(Volatile: If Bob-omb is defeated, leave it in play. It automatically uses Timed Explosion)

Just some thoughts...^,^
I too love Video games, and Use the same user name at Destructoid and Siliconera in case anyone here visits those sites. ^0^/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.