$10.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Forced to use icons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you are forced to focus your partisipating units to strike but are you forced to use the icons (deal damage, put tokens and damage objects) if you can?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resolving the icons is a part of resolving the strike, which you correctly identify as mandatory.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't you want to use the icons? I can't think of any possible situation where I wouldn't want to use them. You only put them on enemy units/objectives, and if there are no units/objectives available nothing happens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gruntl wrote:
Why wouldn't you want to use the icons? I can't think of any possible situation where I wouldn't want to use them. You only put them on enemy units/objectives, and if there are no units/objectives available nothing happens.

Weird situations are always possible. For instance, killing an enemy unit may cause the Rancor to kill one of your units instead of that unit. But I agree with the interpretation that the symbols seem mandatory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gruntl wrote:
I can't think of any possible situation where I wouldn't want to use them.


Wounding but not killing with Boba. Or does it get captured regardless?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Neverfade wrote:
gruntl wrote:
I can't think of any possible situation where I wouldn't want to use them.


Wounding but not killing with Boba. Or does it get captured regardless?


Read his card text and you'll have your answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
gruntl wrote:
I can't think of any possible situation where I wouldn't want to use them.


Wounding but not killing with Boba. Or does it get captured regardless?


Read his card text and you'll have your answer.


Or you could just answer the question for those who want to be sure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not want to kill Leia (but if you can, you have to)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Neverfade wrote:
ScottieATF wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
gruntl wrote:
I can't think of any possible situation where I wouldn't want to use them.


Wounding but not killing with Boba. Or does it get captured regardless?


Read his card text and you'll have your answer.


Or you could just answer the question for those who want to be sure.


Reaction: After this unit damages a Character unit, capture that unit.

Just read the card. None of us are judges, all we are all doing is reading the cards and rules and coming to conclusions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
You may not want to kill Leia (but if you can, you have to)


This is why I wanted to know, my opponent "chump blocked" Leia with a guy with one blaster to win the edge and prevent the unopposed but then didn't wanna kill her. (Also you might know your opponent has a "lightsabre deflection" or wht it's called and wanna avoid it at that moment or you wanna hold off destroying an objective with 2 focus or a bad text but that's not important now )
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
ScottieATF wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
gruntl wrote:
I can't think of any possible situation where I wouldn't want to use them.


Wounding but not killing with Boba. Or does it get captured regardless?


Read his card text and you'll have your answer.


Or you could just answer the question for those who want to be sure.


Reaction: After this unit damages a Character unit, capture that unit.

Just read the card. None of us are judges, all we are all doing is reading the cards and rules and coming to conclusions.


If I do enough damage to a unit, it also goes to the discard pile after I damage it.

Your answer of 'just read the card' is ridiculous. This is a discussion forum, is it not? If everyone should just read the cards to answer their questions then why have a rules subforum?

As you don't want to answer the question (as you said you're coming to a conclusion but haven't stated what that is, only typed out the card, which I've already read) how about just stop pointlessly being condescending and let someone come in with some insight.

Much appreciated.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Destruction is a side effect of having enough damage, but the fact is regardless if the unit is destroyed or not it was still damaged and the reaction takes place. Both being discarded and being captured are "out of play" states, so it really doesn't matter where they went unless you had something to dig them out of the discard pile.

Edit: I was wrong, disregard this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boba Fett's ability is a reaction (and not a forced reaction) so you don't have to activate it if you don't want to. If given a choice between destroying and capturing, I may choose destroying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Boba Fett's ability is a reaction (and not a forced reaction) so you don't have to activate it if you don't want to. If given a choice between destroying and capturing, I may choose destroying.


Good point, but in the context of this discussion I believe the poster was worried about being able to use the reaction if he inflicted enough damage to destroy the character. The icon damage is mandatory, the capture is not (In this case).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:
Boba Fett's ability is a reaction (and not a forced reaction) so you don't have to activate it if you don't want to. If given a choice between destroying and capturing, I may choose destroying.


Good point, but in the context of this discussion I believe the poster was worried about being able to use the reaction if he inflicted enough damage to destroy the character. The icon damage is mandatory, the capture is not (In this case).


Exactly. I suppose the question was more 'Do the rules differentiate between a (partially) damaged unit and a destroyed unit in this context?'. I see that isn't particularly the case here. Thanks for the info, guys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown

Indiana
msg tools
The real problem with trying to capture a unit that Fett just destroyed (note that his ability is a reaction, so the damage happens first, and destruction is immediate): can he capture a unit once it is no longer a unit but a card in your opponent's discard pile?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only affect cards that are in play, unless the effect specifically says otherwise, so Boba can only capture things that he's damaged but not destroyed. Which makes thematic sense I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrennan wrote:
You can only affect cards that are in play, unless the effect specifically says otherwise, so Boba can only capture things that he's damaged but not destroyed. Which makes thematic sense I think.


So now we have two different rulings in this thread.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
You may not want to kill Leia (but if you can, you have to)


This is why I wanted to know, my opponent "chump blocked" Leia with a guy with one blaster to win the edge and prevent the unopposed but then didn't wanna kill her. (Also you might know your opponent has a "lightsabre deflection" or wht it's called and wanna avoid it at that moment or you wanna hold off destroying an objective with 2 focus or a bad text but that's not important now )


Ah ok, that makes sense of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
PBrennan wrote:
You can only affect cards that are in play, unless the effect specifically says otherwise, so Boba can only capture things that he's damaged but not destroyed. Which makes thematic sense I think.


So now we have two different rulings in this thread.



No, go ahead and drop it down to one. PBrennan is correct. I forgot about the stipulation that Reactions can only effect in-play cards by default, Page 25 for the actual rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown

Indiana
msg tools
karrde wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
PBrennan wrote:
You can only affect cards that are in play, unless the effect specifically says otherwise, so Boba can only capture things that he's damaged but not destroyed. Which makes thematic sense I think.


So now we have two different rulings in this thread.



No, go ahead and drop it down to one. PBrennan is correct. I forgot about the stipulation that Reactions can only effect in-play cards by default, Page 25 for the actual rule.


That's how I interpret Fett's ability as well... the way we could be wrong on that though: if there is indeed time for a reaction between the damage being done and the unit's destruction. Exactly how "immediate" works in the game is not really well defined in the rule book.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That I can help with ...

Damage is a two step process of being assigned and then applied. This allows the Protect keyword and other constants to work. Your opponent assigns damage (eg to Yoda). Then constants can kick in and re-direct the damage (eg Yoda's damage is re-assigned to a Guardian of Peace who has Protect Character). Then damage is applied.

Note that this all happens within the resolution of an effect, so there's no window for interrupts or actions or anything else to happen between assign and apply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.