Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective» Forums » General

Subject: My second case and suggestions for play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, some friends and I delved into the second case of the Ystari edition "The Tin Soldier."

Two of us were return players from the first case, while two others were new to the game, though my enthusiasm in talking up the first case gave the new players some idea of what the game would be like. It's one of the easiest games to learn and play that I know of.

We did some things well and some things not-so-well. This post is to share some tips on play.

1. For example, an experienced player, even after one case, will always know to

Spoiler (click to reveal)
visit the scene of the crime as the very first thing they do.

2. Before the game, I gathered some small, coin-sized chips in different colors with a black or yellow dot on one side. I used these to mark the various places on the map representing various leads to visit. I used black for the crime scene. They were placed dot-side down. When the lead was visited, they were turned dot-side up to show that they had been visited and that we could refer to these locations again without penalty in the case book. It might be good to use a number in place of the dot. It can serve the same function and be short-hand for folks taking notes.

3. I had plenty of paper ready for the investigators to use, but now I think index cards would serve better for taking and keeping track of information. Mainly because it's a handier format.

4. Take the time to read The Times issues and make sure everyone gets a chance to browse them. The single best time is right after the case's introduction.

5. If playing cooperatively, take a short break after all players have had a turn as the lead investigator before starting a new cycle. Use the time to refresh yourself (snack, bathroom, calls) and relate to one another about where the case stands. It's also a good opportunity to scan The Times again.

6. It's good to discuss the next step with other players, but it's your right as a player to do what you want to do when it's your turn to be the Lead Investigator. Nagging doubt and the resolve to follow through in the face of domineering or group-think is in the spirit of Holmes' admonishment to make sure the theory fits the facts rather than forcing the facts to fit the theory.

7. Have fun, but don't take the game too lightly. Interruption or inserting funny asides while reading from the case-book can cause everyone to miss an important clue. Just be glad you can always review clues and the places you've been without penalty. Take full advantage of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.L.W.
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
.... and that we could refer to these locations again without penalty in the case book.

I'd have to go back and look, but I think in the original it is counted again with another visit if you go back to one you have already scene. That is why it is important to take good notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to go back and check again, too. I could be wrong. But I thought you could. We did go back to one place to reconfirm a character description. Even if it would have cost us another 5 points (or more), it would have been worth our while to revisit a particular location we later groaned over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
I'll have to go back and check again, too. I could be wrong. But I thought you could. We did go back to one place to reconfirm a character description. Even if it would have cost us another 5 points (or more), it would have been worth our while to revisit a particular location we later groaned over.

The Ystari version does allow you to revisit locations without penalty. When I have played the original, we have always counted revisits again so I think this is a rule change. I say I think because I have always played someone else's copy of the original and haven't read the rules myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the first point. It's something our team of crack detectives didn't do. shake

I've gone and purchased 6 shopper jotter notepads for next to nothing, from my local stationary shop. So there will be plenty of err...semi-authentic Victorian style note taking.

And just to also confirm, yes you can go and visit previously visited sites with no penalty.

Looking forward to the other 9 cases and the 5 expansion cases mentioned on a previous thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Lloyd
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steve perkins wrote:
I agree with the first point. It's something our team of crack detectives didn't do. shake

I've gone and purchased 6 shopper jotter notepads for next to nothing, from my local stationary shop. So there will be plenty of err...semi-authentic Victorian style note taking.

And just to also confirm, yes you can go and visit previously visited sites with no penalty.

Looking forward to the other 9 cases and the 5 expansion cases mentioned on a previous thread.

Fancy bringing this on Friday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
BradyLS wrote:
.... and that we could refer to these locations again without penalty in the case book.

I'd have to go back and look, but I think in the original it is counted again with another visit if you go back to one you have already scene. That is why it is important to take good notes.

You're right there. In the original version you can only visit one clue point per turn. If you want to revisit it, the rules say it must be on your turn.

As a couple others have noted, the Ystari version is specific that while you can only read one new lead each turn, you can revisit the previously read leads as often as you like.

If folks want to dial the difficulty up a notch and recreate the feel of the original game and make careful note-taking paramount, then play that only one lead can be read on a turn and that revisiting a previously read lead must be done on the desirous player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:

Then I prefer the Ystari rules. I understand that you could note everything given in the lead to make sure you don't miss anything but I don't see what it brings into the game besides much more time spent on writing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garrylloyd wrote:
steve perkins wrote:

Fancy bringing this on Friday?

Why do you think I bought the notepads. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazyn wrote:
Phytoman wrote:

Then I prefer the Ystari rules. I understand that you could note everything given in the lead to make sure you don't miss anything but I don't see what it brings into the game besides much more time spent on writing

But if you are playing competitively, then taking notes might give you the edge when answering not only the main questions 25pt questions, but the secondary knowledge 10pt ones as well. Unless you have a Holmes like memory.

Mine is more like the note taking Dr Watson. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Pepper Adams - Encounter! // Nick Brignola - Raincheck // Serge Chaloff - Blue Serge
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazyn wrote:
Phytoman wrote:

What it brings to the game is that some of us are drawn into the story by acting as we are travelling around London to visit the locations, and time is of the essence. The point system is really a measure of time; can we find the solution as quickly as Holmes?

If it's purely an abstract puzzle to you, then by all means teleport back whenever you please, but if you're playing as if you're in the story, you'll curse yourself for having to waste time and double back because you forgot to ask a question when you had the opportunity in an earlier interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Ystari edition out, you now have a choice. If you want to play hard and role-play as serious investigator(s), play by the original Sleuth Publications rules. If you want a little slack if a thought occurs to you later on in the investigation, you're still within the bounds by the Ystari rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Listening to: Pepper Adams - Encounter! // Nick Brignola - Raincheck // Serge Chaloff - Blue Serge
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
With the Ystari edition out, you now have a choice. If you want to play hard and role-play as serious investigator(s), play by the original Sleuth Publications rules. If you want a little slack if a thought occurs to you later on in the investigation, you're still within the bounds by the Ystari rules.

We always had that choice; I can remember the same discussion decades back when the game first came out. Some people liked the rule and used it, while others thought it was silly and ignored it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.