Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing like the feeling of contentment I get when I've had a fun evening of playing games. Last night I had that feeling in abundance. A kind of bliss wherein I float along in a cloud of euphoria and the pervasive vibe is that all is right in my little corner of the world. In a word I am "happy" and feeling happy is a pretty great thing on any given day, but it is especially significant in my life, which has been beset with debilitating pain day in and day out for the past 10 months.

I know it is not just the games that build to this level of enjoyment, it is the culmination of the general enjoyment of the camaraderie of an evening that begins with preparing a meal and enjoying it with friends followed up with several hours of spirited game play.

Last night was such an evening made even better by several factors. Since I received a humongous amount of games for Christmas I wanted to start to make a dent in getting some of these to the table. I set a goal of playing 4 new games and we did indeed play 4 new games. We even played 2 of the games twice.

We started with Wildlife Safari and followed that with Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus. We played these first two games as a foursome with my son before he went to bed. Afterward I brought out Cartagena and the group of 3 proceeded to play this one twice so that we could compare the two versions. For the final game of the evening I opened up Tsuro and we ended up playing this one twice as well.

Second only to enjoying the view of a tower of new games waiting to be played is watching the tower diminish and soaking up the thrill of removing shrinkwrap and opening a fresh game box for the first time. Heady stuff.

All of these things was coupled with the knowledge that earlier in the day I had used a gift certificate (that I got for selling CSI some of my unused MtG cards) to buy 3 more VERY exciting games—Space Cadets, Suburbia, and Agents of SMERSH. Visions of more awesome gaming experiences in the near future were filling my imagination. Yep, not doubt about it I was nearly giddy with joy over another great gaming day.

Next weekend I will celebrate my first anniversary as a registered user on BoardGameGeek. This happily coincides with my monthly game group night so I will be able to celebrate in style with my little troupe of gaming buddies. I can hardly wait for next Saturday night.

The games go on...

edited to add:

Doh, I got my dates wrong. My gaming group is this coming weekend, and my anniversary is the weekend after. I guess I will have to play games both weekends! The good news is that my game order from CSI should arrive by my anniversary weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

The vast majority of my gaming is with my wife. Unfortunately, the range of games she really enjoys is much narrower than mine. Therefore, when I get a pile of new games she may only really enjoy a couple of them. I try to gear my purchases to games we will both enjoy. But there are some games I want regardless of whether she will like them. Those games don't get to the table very often unless there is a solitaire variant that I can play.

In fact, just yesterday, we played Constantinopolis for the first time. It's one of the games I got for Christmas. I enjoyed it (although, admittedly, it would probably be better in a streamlined version . . . it's sort of long for a "deliver goods" game). My wife did not like it at all.

But when we BOTH enjoy a gaming session, my feelings of euphoria are similar to yours. Carry on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Nice!

The vast majority of my gaming is with my wife. Unfortunately, the range of games she really enjoys is much narrower than mine. Therefore, when I get a pile of new games she may only really enjoy a couple of them. I try to gear my purchases to games we will both enjoy. But there are some games I want regardless of whether she will like them. Those games don't get to the table very often unless there is a solitaire variant that I can play.

In fact, just yesterday, we played Constantinopolis for the first time. It's one of the games I got for Christmas. I enjoyed it (although, admittedly, it would probably be better in a streamlined version . . . it's sort of long for a "deliver goods" game). My wife did not like it at all.

But when we BOTH enjoy a gaming session, my feelings of euphoria are similar to yours. Carry on!

Joe, if I could I would grant everyone the awesomeness of a spouse/partner who willingly and enthusiastically joins in ALL the games that they want to play.

I have such a heavenly situation. I have NO limitations on what games I buy based on my husband. My only limitations have to do with time and what is likely to go with my game group (and of course money). I am the game buyer/provider for my group and they are content to let me pick what's on the menu most of the time. Fortunately my group seems to be shaping up to be pretty fond of co-op games. This past year we played Elder Sign, Castle Panic, and Mansions of Madness. Currently, I avoid games that require a commitment of more than 3 hours, but other than that it is pretty wide open.

P.S. I'm glad to hear that my euphoria is not a singular sensation. There ARE other gaming fools like me. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.