England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
Big damn heroes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse

I say this a review by a monkey, because when reading many game rules for the first time I feel as though a monkey would have better chance understanding them than I do. So this is a first play review from a simpleton - that's me.

I bought the first printing of this game the week it came out for no other reason than I wanted to own another 'big game' to take to my local games club. Being a sci-fi fan this seemed appropriate.

Opening the box/contents
Oh! This is what took me six months to get it to the table. The amount of bits is staggering, and I found totally confusing. I punched out all the bits and separated them as I saw best but found the contents somewhat overwhelming.
9/10 Lots of it, but confusing.

Quality
The plastic spaceship are great, one of the things that sold me the game.
The wooden blocks are solid, they're wood, but there are also a lot of them and I don't think there were any spares. Considering the amount of bits you'll have on the table a few spares bits would have been nice.
The card pieces are pretty solid too so should stand up to repeated play well.
The only weak pieces being the character boards which are on thin card. Considering they are the bits of the game that will get the most wear I will most likely get these laminated.
8/10 Decent except for the character boards.

Understanding the rules
Hands up, I was totally bamboozled by the rulebook. But I'll add that I'm not the best for understanding new game rules. One of the other players set the game up, this took around 20 minutes, remembering this was first play.
Turn 1. Make an action; Explore, Research, build, etc. We went around the table slowly, and it was, well, pretty easy. I can't believe I couldn't understand the instructions. This is a very easy game to understand. Everything you need to know is pretty much in front of you.
Turn 2. We were away. Exploring, building, making alliances and preparing to fight off pirate/aliens or whatever.
8/10 Overwhelmed by the rulebook, but it's actually very simple.

Fun
Yes, it is. Lots of fun. Players have plenty of options yet there is enough randomness to please myself and the group. You can expand your empire, build a powerful star fleet or go to war with other players. The modular game board means that you're extremely unlikely to ever have the same galaxy map twice which will surely make the game a new experience each time you play it.
8/10

Overall 8/10
A great Empire building sci-fi game with an epic feel to it.
This is just based on a single play, but this game is sure to get to the table again very soon. and with the ganging up and back-stabbing opportunities available I'm sure this will be a hit at our games table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little note there, in the photo, blue is the ONLY home sector oriented correctly. Make sure you check the setup diagram in the rulebook again, as the direction of the wormholes matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Olver
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get away with it for the first few games! Where the nuances of hex placement, & wormhole placement are not obvious.
When you get to the alien's (especially Planta, and Descendants) the starting hex orientation can make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bossko B.
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
Big damn heroes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
A little note there, in the photo, blue is the ONLY home sector oriented correctly. Make sure you check the setup diagram in the rulebook again, as the direction of the wormholes matter!

Cheers. I'll look at that for next time.
I'll just blame my mates this time, they set it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.