10 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Pressure of time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Otto
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think about buying Mice and Mystics, because I love coop-games like Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon and Pandemic. I watched several Reviews about M&M and liked most of it, expect the time tracker, which makes you loose the game at a certain point of time. I hate this time pressure element, it's stressing me out. Is it really that annoying like I assume? Can you play without this element, or does it break the game and it rules completely?
Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Morse
Wales
Penarth
vale of glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not annoying and it works just fine. I've played four chapters and have never felt that time is terribly tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FASTER wrote:
It's not annoying and it works just fine. I've played four chapters and have never felt that time is terribly tight.

Agreed..it's a rare situation when I've found myself pressured by the clock. I certainly wouldn't recommend playing without the minion cheese wheel, it's a huge part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a major mechanic in the game ... and without it things would just be way too easy. There'd be no pressure to move on; you'd just sit in each area 'till each mouse had found all available items. Various items, abilities and effects would become pointless. Also, as you stated, it's one of the reasons that you can lose the game.
So Yes, it would break things.

As FASTER says above, It's not annoying and it works just fine.
It certainly does work fine, in fact it works especially well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Kristensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It serves more or less the same function as the Infection Deck in Pandemic. It makes the experience intense (in a good way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works great. If you didn't have it, then you'd be able to win easily unless you got all the mice captured at the same time.

There are ways to move the End marker up the track and thus extending your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Otto
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sounds good, I guess the purchase is inevitable now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you lose the game due to time running out, it would be a heroic loss anyway, because that means you've either had a ton of surges (very dangerous) or a lot of characters were captured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot better than the "deck of random bad things" that drives the pressure in most cooperative games.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Keele
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do purchase and play the game, I suggest using Filch (one of the mouse characters) in most of the chapters. When he kills a rat, he gets to take a cheese off the wheel and add it to his personal stash. So not only does Filch get cheese that he can spend to do cool stuff on future turns, but he also buys you some time in the game. It can make a big difference sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.