Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finster Dexter
United States
Orem
UTAH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the units (up to 5) inside a stronghold that is under siege count against stacking (up to 10) of the region?

We had a situation where someone moved a full army of 10 units into the region. The way we handled it was finishing the battle between this army of 10 and the besieging army. When that battle was over, there were more than 10 friendly units in the region, so we removed units to get back down to 10.

I guess I'm not totally clear on what should happen in a situation like that.

More specifically, 5 Sauron units were inside Minas Morgul while some number of Gondor troops were in the Region. Shadow player moves an army of 10 Southrons/Sauron units into the Region to do battle. Should 5 units of that army be removed BEFORE the battle to honor the 10 units per Region rule, or can they fight first, then when the siege is relieved, combine all the Shadow units.

Hope that makes sense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 10 Units (or five if inside the stronghold) for each side, not total for the region. So, If the SP were besieging a FP stronghold, the SP can have up to 10 units, and the FP five. If a field battle, each side can have up to 10.

Edit: apologies, as I misinterpreted the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You played it correctly, but with bad strategy and without actually knowing the rules. When you launch an attack, the units don't move into the area they're attacking, so there was no stacking issue between them and the 5 in the Stronghold. You simply had 5 army units in the Stronghold and 10 in an adjacent region. After the attacker won, however, he can choose to only move some of his attacking Army into the region. He should have moved 5 (or fewer) in, to join the 5 in the region, so as to not have to remove any from the board. The others would stay behind in the adjacent, non-battle-location region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finster Dexter
United States
Orem
UTAH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
Región Metropolitana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
After the attacker won, however, he can choose to only move some of his attacking Army into the region.

If the attacker wins, he must move every surviving unit that participated in that battle to the region. Just rearward (units that don't participated) should stay behind.

Now, since the attacking (rescuing) army won, units that were inside stronghold (max. 5) are not considered under siege anymore, so they 'go out' to the region and stack with the winning army (max. 10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbnaulin wrote:
MattShinners wrote:
After the attacker won, however, he can choose to only move some of his attacking Army into the region.

If the attacker wins, he must move every surviving unit that participated in that battle to the region.

No. Matt is correct. All, some, or none of the attacking units may move into the region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
Región Metropolitana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
fbnaulin wrote:
MattShinners wrote:

If the attacker wins, he must move every surviving unit that participated in that battle to the region.

No. Matt is correct. All, some, or none of the attacking units may move into the region.

Oh, I have checked rules: "If the defending Army is eliminated or retreats, the attacker may immediately move all or part of the units participating in the attack into the embattled region." (p31)

I was wrong. I never have had the need to split and attacking army, but it's always good to know in future cases! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbnaulin wrote:

Oh, I have checked rules: "If the defending Army is eliminated or retreats, the attacker may immediately move all or part of the units participating in the attack into the embattled region." (p31)

I was wrong. I never have had the need to split and attacking army, but it's always good to know in future cases! Thanks.

You should also bold the word may, to indicate that the attacker may choose to not move at all.

This could be useful in allowing you to attack (and hopefully wipe out) a FP army that is in a region with a city or settlement without forcing you to move into the area. Thus that nation would only advance 1 space on the political track ("Army was attacked") instead of 2 spaces ("Army was attacked and City/Town/Stroghold was captured).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This could be useful in allowing you to attack (and hopefully wipe out) a FP army that is in a region with a city or settlement without forcing you to move into the area. Thus that nation would only advance 1 space on the political track ("Army was attacked") instead of 2 spaces ("Army was attacked and City/Town/Stronghold was captured).

Ooh - very crafty James. this is what i love about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.