Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Least visited locations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New to the game, but I notice their are locations that I almost never have an encounter at, especially in The northern part of the map.

What are your least visited locations on the base map and why?
What are your most visited locations on the base map and why?

I would love to visit them all, but their just isn't enough time in the game.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the stable locations in Arkham, apart from the shops and the Newspaper, just don't get visited that much. There's no time for sight-seeing when the apocalypse is about to happen.

They tried to address this a bit in some of the expansions by occasionally having clues appear at stable locations so you'd usually have an encounter there if you moved to collect the clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what is said above.

Quickest way to have some encounters there is to use Hypnos as a Guardian, and hope for some mythos cards to spawn clues on stable locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
As was said, the stable locations without any special ability don't get visited a lot. Also, I can't remember ever going to the administration...

If you have expansions, you will ocassionally find yourself at the train station on the way to another town, but that's about it.

I myself play with a few house rules that give these locations a special ability, that makes these locations ocassionally worth visiting (and allows you to see their fun encounters).

At Velma's diner, you can spend $1 to gain 1 sanity and 1 stamina, good for healing if you're just down a little and it's not worth going to one of the specialized healing places.

At the Library, you can hire a researcher, and buy up to two clues at $3 apiece.

Finally, at the Rail station you can spend $2 to use some public transport and your entire move (that is to say, you have to start you move at the station) to move to any location in the city of Arkham, ignoring any intervening monsters.

I also rule that if you're arrested, you have a police station encounter that turn, as most of them make sense for happening as you are processed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune,

As was stated previously, the stable area see few if any visits due to the need to jump into Gates at the first opportunity. Having said that, Adelphophage's comment about House Rules is something you may want to consider. My brother's gaming group in Philly always starts with a full round with all Phases, opening the 1st Gate at the end of this round, allowing the players to delve into some of the areas around the board. Also, as I play with all expansions, I often play with the Guardian Hypnos who adds one or more Clue Tokens to the board, specifically in stable locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
For the stable locations (aside from hospital and asylum), I would rank them in the following order from most visited to least visited in our games:

Newspaper
Curiosity Shoppe
Train Station (Can find good items there)
Library (Safe rest stop for slow characters, can get tomes)
General Store
South Church (blessings)
River Docks
Velma's Diner
Bank of Arkham
Police Station
Ma's Boarding House
Ye Olde Magick Shoppe (only visit if clue is there or The Great Ritual is in Play)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having all that unused location text really bugs me, so I usually play with an easy set of house rules that I feel address the problem:

1. The "Prologue Variant" where each investigator has an encounter at their starting location, not sure who thought this up, but it is fun, flavorful, and guarantees at least a few stable-location adventures each game on it's own. That is enough for some people on its own.

2. At the start of the game, put a clue on each stable location NOT occupied by an investigator, rather than on all the unstable locations. I do think this makes the game a tad easier (they can't vanish due to gates) but the number is usually comparable and the time wasted running around having stable adventures is worth it, IMHO.

3. To take a clue, you MUST have an adventure at the location, rather than just end your movement on it. This makes things a bit tougher again, and ensures you can have adventures at the Asylum and other places you'd always prefer to use the ability rather than the adventure.

P.S. Using these, you see most locations in most games, so having an expansion after the first 10 game or so can really add a lot. It goes from not using these enough to almost using them too much for the base game alone. With an expansion I don't feel this is a problem though, and it won't be a problem otherwise until you play with the same people a dozen times. Depending on the variability and frequency of you play group, it may never be an issue even with the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

Smyrna
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
As was said, the stable locations without any special ability don't get visited a lot. Also, I can't remember ever going to the administration...

Administration with Amanda Sharpe is great first turn action. ... but yes in general the locations are not visited often and I appreciate your house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this the other day whilst looking through the location cards for the Asylum and Hospital and trying to come up with a reason to ever have an encounter at these locations.

Has anyone come up with a reason the visit them and not use the special abilities?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. These weren't the answers I had anticipated. I thought someone would say you visit this location for this reason, and visit that location for a different reason, etc.

To hear that the stable locations are rarely visited at all AND that this has only been partially addressed reeks of poor game design. I do not mind if SOME locations are better visited than others, but to have HALF of the locations with little to no purpose is VERY disappointing.

I understand house rules can fix issues, but I wouldn't mind if FFG finished the game, would you? I'm coming from A Touch of Evil, that has fewer locations to visit, but each serves a purpose and reason for visiting.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Wow. ...To hear that the stable locations are rarely visited at all AND that this has only been partially addressed reeks of poor game design. ...but I wouldn't mind if FFG finished the game, would you? ...

It's not FFG! You have to understand that is really an old, old game! The fact that it exists at all today is a testimate to its staying power!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Wow. These weren't the answers I had anticipated. I thought someone would say you visit this location for this reason, and visit that location for a different reason, etc.

To hear that the stable locations are rarely visited at all AND that this has only been partially addressed reeks of poor game design. I do not mind if SOME locations are better visited than others, but to have HALF of the locations with little to no purpose is VERY disappointing.

I understand house rules can fix issues, but I wouldn't mind if FFG finished the game, would you? I'm coming from A Touch of Evil, that has fewer locations to visit, but each serves a purpose and reason for visiting.

Jorune

I see the existence of an extensive set of Encounters for locations that are seldom used as OVER-design, not UNDER-design.

"Finish the game"? Seriously? Its pretty well gelled as is. Over time, we have used, eventually, every stable location... but usually, they are just another distraction dangled before you by the game, one more way to misuse your time. Of course you want to visit them; you're supposed to want to visit them. That, however, is not how one wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is that if the locations only serve as a distraction, and you figure that out, they no longer are a distraction, they are just spots on a board that take up space. If no one's regularly visiting the places you could remove them from the map. Smaller map less table space. Than you would also need less decks. A more refined game. A Cheaper game.

Their are 26 locations on the board, 11 of them are unstable locations and get visited. 5 of the others are useful (Hospital,Asylum, 3 shops, but not for encounter reasons). That leaves 10 locations practically useless. that's just too many.

I'll obviously use house rules eventually to fix the issue, I just wish FFG had an official fix. My gaming group tends to shy away from house rules.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisitorgoody wrote:
I was thinking about this the other day whilst looking through the location cards for the Asylum and Hospital and trying to come up with a reason to ever have an encounter at these locations.

Has anyone come up with a reason the visit them and not use the special abilities?

Thanks

Sometimes an investigator will go to get healed and then get trapped by an unbeatable monster. As someone mentioned, Hypnos drops a clue at those two locations.

There's a Rumour in one of the expansions (Virulent Disease) that requires the investiators to go to the Hospital within three Mythos phases or be reduced to one Sanity/Stamina.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
Most of the stable locations in Arkham, apart from the shops and the Newspaper, just don't get visited that much. There's no time for sight-seeing when the apocalypse is about to happen.

I totally disagree. You know? Pamper yourselves. Sure ... sure ... cultists might have you cornered and there's Yig to worry about, but truly take some "me time."

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I don't win often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:

Jorune

With the base game, I used to go to the unstable locations if an investigator had nothing else to do; i.e., no clues on the board or no monsters to fight. The expansions made this almost impossible, since time is very much of the essence.

I try not to go the The Police Station because of one particular encounter (no spoiler).

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play for the win. The only fix I could see is for clue tokens to pop up on these locations, since if you're not trying to close/seal a gate, than you should be collecting clues. However, this may make the game way too easy with all those clues everywhere.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypnos pops clues on stable locations, and he is statistically the best guardian, yet with the increased difficulty of expansions win rate with him is still only 59%, compared to 64% that base game has.

And you get to have encounters on stable locations, isn't that sweet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
I like to play for the win. The only fix I could see is for clue tokens to pop up on these locations, since if you're not trying to close/seal a gate, than you should be collecting clues. However, this may make the game way too easy with all those clues everywhere.

Jorune

I think you're right that starting with clues on ALL the locations does make things too easy. But I think the house rules I proposed above keep the difficulty similar, and if you add an expansion, time is even more of the essence and I think lack of efficiency evens things out again. It doesn't have to be way too easy.

11 Unstable Locations vs.
15 Stable locations -4 investigators = 11 Stable locations with clues.

So using my set of house rules, there are only extra clues in that they don't disappear when gates open under them. But there is less efficiency in that it is less common for clues to double up on one locations. I think this evens out, roughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think this is a problem with the game design, it just allows for different play styles or a bit of roleplaying.

If I can't get to my destination in one turn, I tend to plan a route that means I can drop in to a location (preferably stable) on the off chance that the encounter will give me a useful item/clues etc, basing my decision on the symbols for the locations. It's better than just staying on the streets and having nothing happen, particularly if Ithaqua is the ancient one. At least in my opinion, but I tend to play 2 investigators solo a lot, so I'm in town for the adventure, not the win!

Bert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of putting clue tokens on stable locations at the start of the game and having an encounter at a location in order to obtain the clue token.

The second thing I think I would do is that when a mythos card calls for a clue token to be placed on a location that already has a gate, the clue token instead gets evenly distributed on a neighboring stable location.

I would also house rule that train station idea, have an encounter than use it as a public transportation system.

I think this would only slightly decrease the difficulty in the base game, and an expansion would offset it.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
orange cox
msg tools
Try playing with 8 or even 10 characters, you will find that you usually have an investigator or 2 spare to have encounters at stable locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.