36.7% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: First ame that got you into board/grd game collecting and how you got started. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, I don't post much but come on to mostly read the posts. I really started getting into collecting games the last couple yrs slowly. I have bought Stratomatic sports games since 1990 but I didn't consider my self buying board games a lot besides that. My 1st game was Food Fight a couple yrs ago by Cryptozoic Entertainment. Thought my daughter would like to play different type of games then the local Wal Mart has. Shes now 8. She loved the game then I saw Killer Bunnies and over the course of time picked up the series of games. I ended up getting Thunderstone but sold them. Finally after a yr or so picked some smaller games up like Bohnanza, Carcassone. Again stopped for a ,then within the last few month have started again with getting Catan, Ticket To Ride, 7 wonders, Dominion. I research 1st then hope it's something my kids would love to play. My wife isn't much of a game player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Heroquest was the first game that grabbed my attention and realised that boardgames could be more than races to the finish line, but It was bloodbowl that first got me into the tabletop gaming hobby back in '98 x

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember if it was Heroquest or the AH Merchant of Venus. Then through college it was D&D (still wish I had a group for that), and then came back to board games recently after playing the classics (Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Settlers, etc...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror, which I believe is going to be a more common reply than expected. I heard about it from someone I know on twitter. "It's really complex" I was told and that this alone made me want it. I ordered Arkham Horror, Sid Meier's Civ, Dixit and Carcassonne; these four introduced me to the hobby.

The manual for Arkham Horror almost killed my interest in board games before it even started. Poorly written rule books are a massive peeve for me to this day. Thanks to YouTube, I managed to find a guide for AH and that was how I learned. To my mind, writing a good rule book is common courtesy: I've been good enough to buy your game, now have the same respect and tell me how to play it properly. Sadly, it seems FFG have still to learn this.

But anyway. Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
My first COOL game was Colosseum. Got me out of RPGs (I was never heavily into them) and into board game collecting. 7 yrs later and im the proud owner of 96 games according to BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
xibxang wrote:
I ordered Arkham Horror, Sid Meier's Civ

You jumped right into the deep end, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider myself a boardgame collector. I'm a boardgame player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Stratego a lot with a friend in the grade/middle school days. As an adult I accidentally bought Risk before realizing I had purchased the wrong game I had remembered playing. These two games single handedly started me down the Path of Rightousness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
No clue. At some point, my father started picking up
used games for me - I guess that's when I was starting
to actually collect. Mostly, the big name (Parker Bros.
and MB), but a lot of 3M stuff too. Wargames came later,
and THAT moment I do remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a wierd way to have it all started for someone but i clearly remember why i started buying games and getting into the hobby. My wife has friends of hers that we use to go over by quite a bit. We would have a good time just sitting around and talking as we had alot of the same interests. Boardgames never came up at all for the 1st 2 years we hung out. One day they asked me if i liked boardgames. I said sure thinking he meant risk or monopoly or something along those lines. Nope not at all. They brought a game out called Zombies. They told me it was like a video game on a board. Ok sounds cool ill try it out. We started playing and i liked it for about the 1st hour and after that i just wanted someone to win already. Not a good start for me with new boardgames but maybe it was just me and i was missing something.

About a month passed and we got called back over to play another game. This one was called Talisman. I remember looking at the board and some of the components and thinking wow this is beautiful i bet this is gonna be awesome! 5 and half hours later it was not awesome at all and i again was glad when it was over. But the beauty of the game still intrigued me so that night i got home and went straight to the computer to start researching boardgames to see what else was out there.

So believe it or not i got into the hobby by playing a few games that i thought were horriblegulp Within a week of research i found BBG and Tom Vasel and then it was game on no pun intended. Some of the first games i bought were Dominion,Shadows over Camelot,Citadels,Thunderstone, and Carcassonne. These werent all home runs but they were alot better imo then what i had been playing and they showed me the direction i wanted to go in moving forward.

Ive been steadily buying games ever since. As for my friends they have also switched over to these games and admit that they are far more fun then the games we use to play. That makes me smile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames: U-boat in 1968
Euros: Ursuppe in 2002

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought SPI's Napoleon's Last Battles Quadigame of the Waterloo campaign. Trying to find people to play it was a problem. Not many other teenagers in my area were interested. My friends occasionally indulged me. Eventually, I met other gamers and I stopped imposing on my non-gamer friends. Roughly a year after I bought that first SPI wargame, I started playing 25mm Napoleonics, thus adding the addiction (and expense) of miniature gaming to my hobbies.

bechidow wrote:
So believe it or not i got into the hobby by playing a few games that i thought were horriblegulp
This made me laugh! However, it worked out for you, so that was good!

Edit: BTW, I feel exactly the same way about Talisman game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
. It all started back in sept 19th 1990 on my 12th birthday, I can remember it like it was yesterday....( cue dream sequence), I awoke just like any other day, I was not sure what my parents bought me, but in the back of my mind i knew it was something special, the air was fresher, every sound was more clear, my toothpaste actually tasted good!? I was 12 remember!, I could not wait to open my b-day gift,s, all day i was like a bionic boy, running and jumping around. I had no clue what fate's behold me and my life from then on out. Until i open my present's

1.(record breakers) sweet! little cars you could upgrade and race on track's) Thanks mom/dad i screamed!, present #

2. what is this box i thought to myself is it "legos" is it a "model" as i shook the box some more it was heavy, oh well i couldn't guess so i "ripped open the paper to find "drum roll please" "Hero quest" what is this game? i thought to myself, wow it look's awesome!, how did my mom know? i liked fantasy stuff? well, I played zelda, final fantasy, read comics so she made an educated guess and i was oblivous to that fact. and boy was she right! loved that game!. So a long story short, on and off only recently joining bgg and finding all these great games since 1990.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan F.
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill was the game that first caught my interest and led me to BGG and to collecting, but I already had board games like Settlers and Bang!..I wonder why those didn't spark an interest..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
My family played a lot of games when I was younger, but I really got interested in buying my own games and figuring out what kind of games I personally liked when I was about 9 and we where visiting a friend of my father's for the first time.
We played a round of Inkognito, and I loved it. Games that required deduction, bluffing and analytical thinking where new to me, but it was right down my alley.
So of course I asked for it for my birthday, and got it, but no one besides my mother ever wanted to play it with me, since it was too different. I only got to play it about 5 times in total.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror as well thanks to Robert Florence. That was just over a year ago (November 2011) and it opened up a whole new world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van Eikeren
Netherlands
Hoorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started off with RPG's like Das Schwarze Auge and AD&D. After that I became part of a gaming group that lasted about twenty years. The host, a very good friend of mine, had a lot more disposable income than I did and had collected a respectable collection of games, so we always had something to play.

Right now I mainly game with my ten year old son when he's with me and I began with buying as much Heroscape as I could lay my hands on. Right now I'm branching out a bit. Bought Talisman 4th Edition and Castle Panic and I'm going to try and buy at least one game a month.

I do remember owning Adeptus Titanicus, HeroQuest and Space Crusade at some point, but unfortunately I was dumb enough to get rid of those when I moved. Still kicking myself for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of have two 'first' games:

My 'first first' is from way back when I was a kid - Escape From Colditz - I loved the board, the theme, the concept, the making a plan based on what equipment you had, the whole thing.

That was the game that planted the seed.

But then I grew up, and things like University, and work, got in the way, and I left the hobby behind.

I know, I know!

It was my time in the wilderness period.

Sure I bought games in those years, but they were just things - the passion wasn't there - it was just 'stuff'.

But the seed was still there, waiting to be re-awoken...

...by my second 'first'...

War on Terror: The Board Game - when I heard of this game, and the controversy surrounding I knew I had to get a copy, and eventually I did.

And that little seed, that was planted all those years ago by Escape From Colditz, suddenly sprouted back in to life, and whilst I've not yet bought a great many more games, I have re-found that passion, and know I truly am A Board Gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in early 1990's, in primary school I was playing Talisman and Monopoly a lot. After that I played some M:tG, Warhammer Fantasy Battle and role-playing games.

Then, 15 years later, in 2009, I was looking for Christmas gift for my wife. I though of crazy idea: why not a board game? (crazy, isn't it?). I have chosen Small World, because it featured elves, which she really likes. It clicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruddiger Sanchez
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
I played Hero Quest when I was a kid with my brother mostly but slowly lost interest in board games as I got older. Thankfully a good friend of mine re-introduced me to board games with Netrunner around a month ago and I haven't looked back since! I have started building on my collection with my own copy of Netrunner, Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, Call of Cthulhu LCG and Zombies!!!. My partner and I play Call of Cthulhu most nights now when just over a month ago neither of us had touched a board game for over 10 years. Arkham Horror has quickly climbed the list to one of the most challenging and favorite board games I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a complicated question for me. As a young child, I played all sorts of board games, like HeroQuest,Monopoly,Stratego, Clue and so on. As a teenager in the late 90s and early 2000s, I played table top RPGs and Warhammer 40,000, back when devoting 200 pages of rules to memory in order to play a multiple hour long game seemed reasonable.

Recently, I watched Wil Weaton's Table Top and saw all the wonderful things going on with modern board games. The first one I picked up was Elder Sign, which I loved. It's all been down hill since then and my game library keeps growing. Amazon and Cool Stuff Inc have been making a lot of money off me lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
My parents bought me this game at my 10th birthday.

It started an avalanche meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is The Settlers of Catan. My wife and I picked up a copy last year and now we have many more games and had the good fortune to start a gaming group that meets regularly.

Once we started playing more games it got me thinking about the games I played when I was younger. I played a fair amount of Axis and Allies and Risk as well as Blood Bowl and Space Hulk when I was a teenager. Before that, I had a copy of Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century and a close friend had Dragonlance that we played quite a bit of. When I was really young, I used to play a lot of games with my sister and grandparents (lots of Clue, Monopoly, and Solarquest!). I'll have to see if Grandma wants to play a round of Ticket to Ride the next time I'm in town.

It seems like there are a few of us with more than one chapter in our gaming history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can always remember liking games, the more 'sandbox' like the better. I got into war gaming in the 80's, but children, life, and video games, not to mention a lack of gamers to play with, made them fall by the wayside.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I got Ticket to Ride for iOS on my iPad. My son and I started playing (pass and play) on a summer vacation and really loved it. So we bought the hard copy, Europe first and then the original edition, and the rest, as they say is history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until last August/September I wouldn't have called myself a board gamer in the slightest sense of the word. My family to this day is still shocked that I'm as in to board games as I am now because they remember me HATING board games with a passion.

A couple years ago a friend of mine introduced me to Catan and while I wasn't overly fond of the game, it made me realize that there were other games out there than I didn't know even existed. Shortly after that, I stumbled on The Pillars of the Earth and bought that for my wife... not so much because I was interested in board games, but because that was her favorite book. I'm happy that I did buy it though because it turned out to be a great game.

Now... what game actually got me in to board gaming in August/September of last year was Mage Knight Board Game. I know that this game isn't the usual "gateway" game, but for me it was. I wanted something strategic with theme. Something that could be played solo or with a group of people because, up until that point, I had no idea who I'd be playing games with... if anyone. Needless to say, that was the tipping point for me and the beginning of more current obsession with board games. I have since bought about 11 games now of various types and mechanics... not just for me, but to introduce all the other people in my life to the wonderful world of games that I had been missing out on over all of these years.

Who would have thought that Mage Knight Board Game would be the gateway game to turn this board game hater to a board game lover. That's why I'd now bought a range of typical "gateway" games and not so gateway games to hopefully get other people that I know in to this hobby. The more variety that I have, the better the chances are of one of my games striking a chord and getting them in to this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.