Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used this opening in several games to good effect, both in a 2-player game and a 4-player game. It sacrifices early growth a little bit to setup trade routes as early as possible. The extra 1-2 food every turn for the rest of the game will quickly make up the gap, and should you put you well ahead of your opponent's for resources by late game. The trick is finding safe spots to park your settlers or ships to use as traders. Use terrain and/or barbarian cities as shields.

Turn 1
Action 1: Build Settler (-2 Food)
Action 2: Move both settlers (towards an opponent as much as possible)
Action 3: Collect 1 Food

Turn 2
Action 1: Continue moving towards an opponent (unless you found a good site last turn, then you can skip this). You want to end with one settler in a good spot to build, and the other within two spaces of an opponent's city, preferably protected by forest/mountain
Action 2: Build a city
Action 3: Collect 1 Food

Turn 3
Action 1: Advance: Bartering (-2 Food, +1 Happy)
Action 2: Make a city happy
Action 3: Collect 1 Food + 1 Ore

Free Advance: Trade Routes

Assuming you got your extra settler within 2 spaces of an opponent's city, you are now getting 1 free food per turn. Priorities for the second set of turns are

- If there is water near you and an opponent, get Fishing, build a Port, and send a ship over to setup another trading route
- If you can't get a ship trade route, build another settler and walk towards a second opponent city.
- Get Currency so that you can take your trade routes in gold and not have to worry about the 2 food max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like something similar as that as well, which was why I was similing a bit when everyone said there was only one opening

However I would not dare get too close to the opponent early on. Too easy to get attacked if he spots what you are up to. But again, as always, it depends on the terrain and other factors.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really like about this game is the incredible amount of possibilities you have.

Entering a game with a pre programed way of playing is dangerous, because there are so many factors to compute.

In an ideal scenario, this could work. But, in other scenarios, like beeing sorrounded by barbarians, or mountains etc., tour culture must adapt to this threats, or die.

My first game I tried the Naval way, but then I was sorrounded by three barbarians, so I had to go Military.

Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out that settlers can also be used for trade routes. I overlooked this. I played a four-player game the other day and went for relatively early trade routes, but I invested in ships to activate them. I had several settlers just standing around doing nothing for half of the game and could have used them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FaveDave wrote:

-- Sometimes other players see you getting gold every turn and want to attack you. I point out that they have to 1. build armies, 2. move armies (twice) and then they get NOTHING from their attack since they've only removed a settler. They could've used those two/three actions to do something much more productive for themselves. So far, they've not attacked.

If I were in your games, I would then point out to these players that they actually do have something. They have armies within a few moves of your cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also deprive you of quite a bit of gold over the course of a game, so it still isn't "nothing".

I'd probably also mention to them that you have won the last three games after convincing the other players to follow your advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct about needing some more move actions. At the time of writing this I had played with the incorrect rule of allowing a unit to move multiple times in the same Move action. Playing correctly slows this strategy down a bit, although I think it can still be quite useful. I was waiting to revise it until I had a bit more experience playing with the correct rules. It's good to hear that it is working for you even without the "fast movement".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.