BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mage Wars or expand Summoner Wars? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have and love Summoner Wars. We have the Master Set only. Part of me thinks I'd like to get some more of the factions and reinforcements to change things up and add some new challenges, but another part of me thinks that I might be better served by stepping up to Mage Wars, which looks like the best of SW, plus more.

So I'm wondering which I should go for. Do the reinforcements and extra factions add enough to SW to really change it up, or would I be better off spending the money on Mage Wars? I really like this type of card combat gameplay and just wonder where I should put my money this time.

Any thoughts from those who've played any or all are welcome. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love Summoner Wars, then you need all sixteen factions.

If you think you'd like the deckbuilding dimensions of Mage Wars, then you must be wanting Summoner Wars reinforcements for the factions you have (not to mention the forthcoming second summoners).

Also, if this is a money-driven either-or, it seems like Summoner Wars can be expanded a lot more incrementally and affordably than jumping into Mage Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly... both. They're definitely similar but both are great in their own unique way. However, for your next purchase I would buy Mage Wars. You can always expand Summoner Wars later. Mage Wars is the better game in my opinion, but I appreciate them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars for sure.

Mage Wars takes too long for a card game and is harder to teach and learn. So you probably won't be introducing to a lot of new people.

Summoner Wars you can basically play with any one new to the game in about 5 minutes of teaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the extra factions worth it? Absolutely. Are the reinforcements worth it? Not as much although they are nice to help round out decks. The nice thing about the SW packs is you can get 6 faction packs for about the cost of Mage Wars. Even if it is just 5 factions, that's one more than what Mage Wars offers. Normally getting a new game beats out expansions, but the cost of SW's expansions is cheap enough to counter that. If you add in Spell Tomes, it swings even more towards SW.

For Mage Wars, I would look at the videos from the publisher and decide if it is worth getting or not. I can't say for you. I know they scratch different itches within the same theme but for me SW just works. Maybe things would be different if I hadn't been 12 factions in when Mage Wars came along as I don't deny Mage Wars looking like a stellar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'd second the call for both; while thematically the same, they both play very differently IMO.

Mage Wars is definitely the longer game, especially when first playing it and toying with all your options. Most of my first games ran 3+ hours, though to be honest, it was gripping enough that I never felt it to be overly long. Still, the Deck/Magic mechanic in Summoner Wars is brilliant for putting a time limit on the game.

I enjoy the ebb and flow of Summoner Wars; it gives you a handful of interesting tools and forces you make the most of them before your resources run out.

In Mage Wars I find there is a lot more in mind games. You have numerous options but can only select a few each turn as available. A well timed spell can absolutely turn the tables in the game. I find myself feeling clever most games I play in it, even when I lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the opinions. You all pretty much confirmed what I was leaning toward, which was expanding SW. I might get Mage Wars in the future, but I agree that it will likely be a hard sell with most of my group, due to the time factor if nothing else. I'm not so sure I'll find my group willing to spend the time to build decks, either. I suspect they'd prefer something like SW where it's just grab and go. It still looks cool, though, and is in my "someday" list.

I think I'll sink some money into additional factions first, and then see if I want any of the reinforcements. Everything I've read and watched leads me to believe the reinforcements may be more trouble than they're worth, but they might still be fun to try.

But for now it's off to order more factions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon neadles
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you make sure you play the apprentice decks for your first game with mage wars, it won't go that long but you'll then know how to play well enough to play full decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.