Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking around at what other people have done with the Plano 5231 I went to the hardware store last night and picked up two for $10 each. I wanted to have all the Imperial stuff in one case and all the Rebel stuff in another, and it looks like this is going to work out perfectly.

That Falcon in there is a Hallmark ornament I was using to see how well the X-Wing Falcon will fit in there. I'm guessing the X-Wing one is a bit bigger, so it should fit perfectly as there was room to spare with the ornament.

I was also worried that there would be no place to put the rules and the printed sheets I use for team builds, but they fit in the top compartment just fine.

This will make setup so much faster. Thanks to everyone who suggested it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Kwekkeboom
Germany
Münster
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone found something similar in Germany?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emperor1103 wrote:
Someone found something similar in Germany?

They don't have tackle boxes in Germany?

Tackle boxes (of which Plano is a brand) are usually over near the fishing stuff in any store that sells that kind of thing.

Alternatively, I'm sure Plano ships abroad.

--EDIT LINE--

Ah, looks like these might actually be screw boxes. Oh well, same idea. Small compartments and stuff.

So, basically, your local sporting goods or hardware store will probably have the local equivalent of Plano boxes. Same story for any large store with a sporting or hardware section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also vote for this Plano box. I've been looking in many of the local stores and sport stores and couldn't find anything really usable until I found this at Menards (a home improvement store.) It works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
badge
"No matter how low your opinion of Washington DC, it's nothing compared to Washington DC's low opinion of you."
mb
I have one of these, but those ships seem so fragile, I just can't imagine they'd survive even the slightest movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I have one of these, but those ships seem so fragile, I just can't imagine they'd survive even the slightest movement.

They're sturdier than they look, and do fine in there. The only real worries are the lasers on the X-Wings, but I'll probably make some custom foam inserts at some point.

As long as you aren't drop kicking this case the models should be OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Q
msg tools
I'm using one of these, too. I've got 14 ships total so far and they fit in with plenty of room for wave 2.

I'm using tissue paper to pad the models a little. You don't need to go nuts wrapping them - just 1 layer around them keeps them nice and snug so they won't rattle around. I'll try to post a pic tonight.

The only 2 things I'm not thrilled about are:

1) The clear container section seems like it could accidentally open up and spill out if I dropped it or if I caught its latches on something... I solved this fear by putting sticky velcro on the top and bottom and using velcro straps to keep it shut tight.

2) It doesn't come with enough orange dividers to fill in every slot. I'm not actually sure that's a problem (I'll find out when I need to fit the rest of the ships in) but it's noteworthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find the below thread useful, as several users have suggested great ways to maximize the use of the 5231. Near the bottom of the thread I also uploaded a picture of the FFG Faclon in the case, if you want a size comparison:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/889313/the-37th-storage-solu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much on record as loving my 5231... I don't worry about breakage because the ships are all pretty snug in their compartments - there's not enough room for them to jostle around very much (I put the maneuver dials in with all the ships except the T-A where they won't fit).

I might upgrade to a 2-box system when Wave 2 hits... We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have all my plastic ship holders, so I guess I get to spend some time cutting them down now so they fit in the compartments. That'll be much easier than making custom foam holders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gertbert wrote:
I still have all my plastic ship holders, so I guess I get to spend some time cutting them down now so they fit in the compartments. That'll be much easier than making custom foam holders.

It's very quick, if you just use scissors. I tried to cut the first few with an exacto knife (no idea why) and it was difficult and took forever. With scissors you can cut down one of the ship holders in less than a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG Falcon doesn't really fit the same way as that ornament. You have to move the red wall over one slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Q
msg tools
Here's mine as it stands right now. The cards are going to have to move to make way for the Falcon when I get it. The things to point out here are the velcro straps that keep the top well closed and the tissue paper keeping the ships safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The velcro straps are a nice addition. I've been wanting to reinforce that top lid with something, since it seems so precarious (though I'm sure it's stronger than it seems), and the velcro is a simple and effective solution. I think I'll be upgrading mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mattes
msg tools
I now have two of the Plano 5231 cases and four Stack On, 17 compartment cases that hold 24 ships on one peg stands. I purached also one of the Zeikos ZE-HC36 Medium Hard Case with the pick and pluck foam. I am doing my own markers so the top compartments (which I purchased extra dividers for) will hold most of those. I like the hook pile tape idea (Velcro) for added security. As for storing the ships in the compartments I think they should be padded anyway. I carried both cases back and forth to the East Coast on Delta Airlines twice over the holidays and they were in my checked baggage. I have had two wings on the Tie Advance pop off. The first was me steping on it. The second was from bouncing around in the case on the return flight to Chicago.

VR
James Mattes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you guys got bum 5231s, but the top on mine snaps shut securely. I have zero concerns about it randomly popping open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the FFG Falcon does not fit as cleanly as the Hallmark Falcon in the first image in this thread. It'll fit well enough that you can close the box without damaging it, but it will not rest flat on the bottom; it will have to be titled slightly. But there's still enough depth for the base and templates to fit underneath it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taun T. Taun
msg tools
Can you show what your FFG Falcon looks like in that compartment? I'm planning to use that area for both the Falcon and Slave I, if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tauntauntaun wrote:
Can you show what your FFG Falcon looks like in that compartment? I'm planning to use that area for both the Falcon and Slave I, if possible.

I can try to take some pics later, but I won't be home until well into the evening.

If you remove the divider, they both fit with room to spare (probably need some for or something to pack them with because they'll slide around). With the divider, the Slave I is fine (probably still needs foam though), but like I said, the Falcon is a little snug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how the Falcon looks in the 5231, first without the divider, then with.

Note that the divider is sort of bent on its own, that's not from the Falcon pushing against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
Trumpy, you can do stupid things!
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
Here's how the Falcon looks in the 5231, first without the divider, then with.

Note that the divider is sort of bent on its own, that's not from the Falcon pushing against it.

Looks like that works perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wayne
msg tools
gertbert wrote:
After looking around at what other people have done with the Plano 5231 I went to the hardware store last night and picked up two for $10 each. I wanted to have all the Imperial stuff in one case and all the Rebel stuff in another, and it looks like this is going to work out perfectly.

That Falcon in there is a Hallmark ornament I was using to see how well the X-Wing Falcon will fit in there. I'm guessing the X-Wing one is a bit bigger, so it should fit perfectly as there was room to spare with the ornament.

I was also worried that there would be no place to put the rules and the printed sheets I use for team builds, but they fit in the top compartment just fine.

This will make setup so much faster. Thanks to everyone who suggested it.

what hardware store did you pick these up at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaster Mereel
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
I got mine at K-mart for $11.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Menards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find it anywhere, even our Menards. I wound up getting it on Amazon. Of course, it came broken, so I had to send it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.