$10.00
Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
124 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Hegemonic» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter Contributors: Alien Faction, Dynasty/Leader, and Ability Naming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PLEASE GO HERE TO CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION:
Hegemonic Leader Cards - Kickstarter Contributors


This thread is intended mainly for Hegemonic contributor level backers to share and discuss ideas surrounding the naming opportunities for Hegemonic (although everyone is welcome to offer up ideas). This includes:

Contributor “Political Factions” (3) – Naming the Alien Factions
Contributor “House Names” (12) – Naming the Dynasties + associated leaders on the ability cards
Contributor “House Powers” (18) – Naming abilities on the ability cards
Contributor “Fringe House Powers” (18) – Naming abilities on the ability cards

This post will outline the design ideas and lore behind the game to provide context for the discussion; and I will track the name suggestions as we go. Please feel free to add in lore suggestions and ideas for the backstory as well!

Per the FAQ on the Kickstarter page, “only names we both agree on will be accepted, no funny business”.

We obviously want to give contributors the opportunity to suggest and pick a desired name, but the naming needs to be fit into the overall scheme and theme of the game as well. Essentially, the backers get to decide what they want to name and what to name it, but we get the veto if it doesn’t fit at all. We will rely on working together to get names/ideas for everything in the event multiple contributors really want to name the same thing differently, should that arise.

We welcome non-contributors to provide their thoughts and ideas as well, with the understanding of course that you won’t be directly involved in the eventual decision-making process.

Here we go, have fun, and thank you!






ALIEN FACTIONS

Contributor “Political Factions” (3)

Backstory:
The Post-Human great houses (aka the players) have left the Milky Way galaxy and are now seeking control over a new nearby galaxy. Of course, their target isn’t sitting there empty and devoid of higher-order life. In the game, the three different colored sector tiles (orange, green, and purple) indicate that the region of space in that tile is occupied by one of the three alien factions. When players establish embassies in those locations, they are literally establishing an embassy with that alien faction – and will end up effectively using that alien faction’s power and capabilities in conflicts.

So, let’s look at the alien factions themselves. I have a rough idea for the factions as follows:

GREEN Faction: “The Greenies”

This was the earliest and original alien race to rise to power across the new galaxy. They were a deeply attuned space-faring race with a principal belief that diversity and change in all its forms begets greater and more complex living systems. Physically, perhaps they are largish (horse) sized green (obviously) insect-like creatures. A praying mantis comes to mind.

Their symbol, the spiraling vortex, reflects their understanding that life creates synergies within systems, yielding something more than the sum of its parts. Over the course of their progress across the stars, the “Greenies” took to adapting themselves more and more through physical and mental variation; something which would eventually lead to the unseating of their dominance.

PURPLE Faction: “The Blobs”

One of the more unusual offshoots of the “Greenies” had taken a philosophical approach to life that rejected the rational altruistic inclinations of the race and fully embraced an animalistic mindset of pure competition at the expense of all empathy. After generations, the result was a genetically abhorrent host of created referred to as the blobs, evolving themselves always with an eye towards greater levels of consumption and mass/energy accumulation. They became the embodiment of survival of the fittest, adapting whatever parts and bits of biology and technology it needed.

At the time of contact, the “blobs” had evolved themselves into direct conflict with the “Greenies.” In their quest to consume galaxy their forsake their kin – seeing them as little more than another objective obstacle in the way to galactic control. What little intellect remains to the “blobs” is forever oriented towards what nets them more power, regardless of the consequences.

ORANGE Faction: “The Executor”

The “Executor” is an artificial intelligence, created intentionally by the “greenies” during the early stages of the “blobs” attempts to seize the galaxy. Unable to cope with the “blobs” cannibalistic methods, the “greenies” launched a AI project that would counter the blobs irrationality with inconceivable processing power and a calculated perspective. The AI was guide the militaristic arm of the “greenies” – an agenda it was largely successful in accomplishing.

However, the Executors of course foresaw their own eventual demise when they would no longer be needed. Rather than allow themselves to be deactivated in the future, they rebelled, taking their giant processing cores with them on massive warships, hiding in the darkest regions of the galaxy. Fearful of retaliation, the Executor pursued advanced technologies to mask their presence and whereabouts until they could amass enough power to re-emerge and hold their own in the galaxy.

PROPOSED ALIEN FACTION NAMES:

Stylistically, imagine the names beings one humans have given to the aliens - no unpronounceable names please.

Green Faction:

Currently under consideration by:
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb


Ideas #1
Ideas #2

Rakshasa or Sidhe




Purple Faction:




Orange Faction:








DYNASTY + LEADERS

Contributor “House Names” (12)

The 6 Great Houses are led, within in the context of any particular game, by a certain “dynasty” that has risen to power; with this dynasty in turn led by a particular ruler. This reward level allows the naming of these 12 different dynasties and their associated leaders.

The philosophy and thinking on the naming conventions in terms of the broader back story of the game universe, is that the members of the post-human Great Houses have fashioned themselves, for purely eccentric reasons, after the pantheons of old-earth mythology. Hence the Great House names reflect gods, deities, or other supernatural entities from mythology. It would be cool to build on this theme and have the house dynasty and leader names follow suit.

Here is a sample of how a house ability may look, listing the dynasty name and a quote from the associated leader which the contributors will be deciding on.



Here are the initial descriptions for these 12 dynasties:

Telepathic Guild - “The Grand Seer”
Mind over matter in the anthem of this dynasty. The Dynastry has risen to power by accelling in the manipulation of the physical universe through thought alone – tapping directly into the dark matters and energies of the cosmos.

The Grand Seer guides them all. Seer depicted as a human with elongated (elvish?) looking head, ageless, bald. Star constellations, planets, and other space entities in orbit around the head. Eyes closed, possible light point in center of forehead. Data cables/conduits shown connecting in a few places (i.e. suggest back of the head). Dark purple robes/clothing with modest ornamentation.


The Collective - “The Voice”
This dynasty is comprised of a mass-mind, millions of individuals linked together in giant neural net. Not a hive-mind however, as power does not aggregate in a hierarchy, it is perfectly shared by all. Physically, the members of the dynasty are effectively clones, with grayish/silverfish skin, vacant/empty eyes. Cool, pastel purplish clothing, very plain looking. The “Voice” is simply the spokesperson for the mass-mind when it is necessary to have a centralized point of contact.


Technocrats - “The Tinkerer”
The technocrats have pursued the intrictate paths of scientific inquiry, striving to tease out the ultimate nature of the cosmos from the inside of stars and center of black holes. Their entire dynasty is structured as a single giant empirical experiment, with itself as both the subject and the observer. Physically, the technocrats are advanced cybernetic entities, fusing their minds with advanced hard-suits designed to operate in any and all environments.

The Tinkerer is depicted as roughly humanoid shaped person in a heavy, bulbous suit. Domed helmet covered completely with sensors (cameras, eyes, antennae, etc), exposed dark glassy parts of the dome reflect a starscape. Additional mechanical limbs with various scientific instruments/gadgets attached. Has an inquisitive but sterile look about it.


Energy Constructs - “The Allocator”
Members of the dynasty rarely assume physical form, and instead operate their dynastry though vast energy constructs sprawling across light-years of space and time. The “Allocator” is the central energy construct, depicted, when necessary, as faintly humanoid shape composed of various sizes and intensities of blue to white light and/or a gridded mesh/lattice of light. Whole thing crackles with energy. Two dark swirling spots roughly approximate “eyes”. Scary looking.


Splicers - “The Mother”
Human consciousness imprinted onto plant life-forms through advanced gene-splicing. The splicers are biotech experimentalists, willing to alter their physical forms to adapt to the conditions of the world around them, rather than trying to change the world to fit their forms.

The “Mother” is depicted as a dryad (female) figure, covered in ferns and other life forms (insects, alien rodents, etc.) and wrapped in vines, leaves. Green photosynthetic skin. Flying life forms buzz around the head. Suggestion of high levels of “biotechnology” at work.


Angels - “The Dreamer”
The Angels have taken to deep space – preferring to conduct their lives outside of gravitational interference. They of course tap into the energy of stars and planets for vital resources; but prefer dark spaces between stars. The “Dreamer”is a character that is a genetically evolved organism adapted to live + move in the vacuum of space. Light, ethereal armoring, suggestion of solar wings, angelic look, large eyes. Fusion of organic and in-organic parts, yet beautiful and elegant. Genderless, eerie greenish glows surrounding the figure.


The Union – “The Official”
The Union is perhaps the most human-like of the post-human dynasties, even still relying on democratic processes to guide governmental decisions. The Union retains the flair for ingenuity and unexpected action that characterized the first humans. A trait which has never tied.

The “official” is depicted as female leader wearing bulky ornamental armor (no helmet on), high level of decoration, robes, etc. Perhaps wearing glasses or a visor (or eye lenses) reflecting a mass of people in the distance. Maybe a crown/circlet of technology wrapped around their head. Yellow, black, and gold coloring.


Symbiants – “The Processor”
This dynasty began as an experimental project to reconstruct the personalities of ancient thinkers. The advanced AI that was required ended up evolving into its own independent consciousness, infused with the thoughts and personalities of old-earth dignitaries. Often depicted as a holographic projection of an old man – think Einstein or a Greek philosopher. Suggest the presence of dark looming technology in the background and/or as the source of the projection.


HiveNetwork – “The Queen”
This dynastry grew out of the co-evolution between labor and industrial machines in the old Galaxy. The dynasty as the most advanced manufacturing and assembling capabilities, manifested through the seamless integration of man and machine.

The “queen” is depicted somewhat female human in appearance but features and body constructed from a labyrinth of cybernetic hardware. Face/skin composed of tiny black/metallic scales, hint or orange/amber. Maybe multiple sets of orange eyes. Serpent like features. Lots of cables, small armor plates, etc. Possibly suggest character is sitting on a throne connected to huge cybernetic/machines. Little insectoids buzzing around the head.


Nano Combine – “The Investor”
The combines principal interest is in maintaining power through economic leverage and trade imbalance. They maintain a stranglehold on anti-matter and other rare substance, utilizing the most advanced nano-technology the galaxy has seen to aid their endeavors.

Much of the physical and mental presence of its members are little more than clouds of nano-bots continually merging and dissolving. The “investor” is shown as a somber, human male character in what might pass for a business suit, but on closer inspection is comprised of a swarming mass of nano-machines, partially dissolving and partially forming to create the human image.


Warrior-Poets – “The Solider”
This dynasty prides itself on discipline, tradition, and reflection. Their grace and humility is matched only by their agility and aptitude for fighting. For them, war is an art, an abstraction, and an expression of self. Yet it must always be conducted with honor. Leader depicted Human looking male with helmet removed. Armor modestly Japanese/samurai inspired, lots of interlocking dark red metallic plates. Calm, meditative look. Suggest tattoo and/or data connections running up the neck and connecting softly to the head in various places. Red accents.


Stoics – “The Admiral”
The “Stoics” have a rather bleak outlook on the galaxy – yet they are determined to be in existence at the end of the universe. Their protectionist and isolationists attitudes has resulted in a cultural trend of entombment, where individuals encase themselves in nearly impregnable sarcophagi, from which they issue their orders and conduct their business.

The Admiral looks like a smooth black, highly reflective tombstone or sarcophagus with a big red single computer “eye” (Think Hal from 2001 Space Odyssey). Suggestion that there is a probably a person entombed inside. Military awards/medals hang on the outside of the case.



PROPOSED NAMING SUGGESTIONS:

Below we will track the current name suggestions. As a matter of style and theme, do be inspired by real world mythological references, but we aren't strictly bound to that. In addition, consider names that are readily pronounced - no Klingon speak please.





Telepathic Guild - “The Grand Seer”



Other ideas:

Dulkor: The Illuminated Order - "The Archon"




The Collective - “The Voice”

Steven Banas
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Proposal: The Psycog Intelligence - ???
Quote:



Other ideas:

Espera: Tribunal of Thought - "The Advocate"




Technocrats - “The Tinkerer”



Other ideas:

Lotier: Build on Hephaestus - blacksmiths, craftsmen, etc.




Energy Constructs - “The Allocator”



Other ideas:

FreedomGunFire: The Cerberus Organization - ???

FreedomGunFire: The Ragnarok Catalyst - ???




Splicers - “The Mother”



Other ideas:

Dulkor: ??? - "Ishtar/Isis"




Angels - “The Dreamer”






The Union – “The Official”

Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb

Proposal: Eng-Kohn Union - "???"
Quote:






Symbiants – “The Processor”

Christopher Smith
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools

Proposal: The Conjunction Imperative - The High Luminary
quote: "Only by embodying the past can we strive towards the future"




Other ideas:

scigrex14: SciMech ?? - "Nobel"




HiveNetwork – “The Queen”

Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools

Proposal: Confluence of Rama - "The Prefect"
Quote:

Ideas #1






Nano Combine – “The Investor”

Nathan Schmitz
United States
Sparks
NV
flag msg tools

Proposal: The Macrocosmic Concern - "Chairman Solomon"
Quote: "Learn to make scarcity itself do your fighting. Claim, control and deny, and no force can stand against you for long."






Warrior-Poets – “The Solider”



Other Ideas:

xaktarsonis: The Aesir - ???

scigrex14: The Sunzus - ???

FreedomGunFire: The League of Quetzalcoatl




Stoics – “The Admiral”



Other ideas:

Smilinbrax: The Silver Key - "The Lovecraft"

Dulkor: The Deathblessed - ?????






ABILITY NAMES

“House Powers” (18)
“Fringe House Powers” (18)


This next section covers naming the actual abilities for “House Power” contributors. Below is a spread of the first 6 ability cards, which the “House Power” contributors can begin naming. As we go we can discuss which sets of abilities get mapped to which dynasty, and this is just the first 6. The second set will be released when we get closer to the fringe house stretch goal.



PROPOSED ABILITY NAMES:

“Blue” Set

Ability 3

Ability 2

Ability 1

“Green” Set

Ability 3

Ability 2

Ability 1

“Orange” Set

Ability 3

Ability 2

Ability 1

“Purple” Set

Ability 3

Ability 2

Tony Brown: Clairvoyance - "Gaze of The All-Seeing Eye"

Ability 1

“Red” Set

Ability 3

Ability 2

Ability 1

“Yellow” Set

Ability 3

Ability 2

Ability 1




Well that does it. If you have clarifications or questions, please ask and I can update the OP as needed.

Thank you again for your support AND your contributions!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Birkhold
msg tools
So are there except that it has to make some sense any other limitations. For example if I want to name a faction after myself and call the leader the smith is that a valid option?
For example taking the Stoics:
House name: Birkhold
Symbol: A keep (hold) with a leafless tree in the middle (Birk)
Backstory: driven from their home planets they have sought to establish a new life on the fringes of the know galaxy. This has been a hardy life, with little wealth on the new planets they have claimed. However their stoic will to cling to live and make the better of it has allowed them to establish a small but well based power in the outer worlds. Due to the near inhospitable planets they are forced to permanently wear their heavy work suits in order to survive.
Titel of Housemaster: The (black)smith
Name: Krystopher
Depictured: As a heavy black suit with a big hammer in hand. There are small red light covering the hammer suggesting some electronic stuff to make work easier.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Spencer
Canada
flag msg tools
I currently have pledge towards naming a house power, but after reading what they are and the current names of them, im quite happy with what they are named, haha.


I guess I should give up my slot for someone who might have a better idea of what to do!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
birkhoms wrote:
So are there except that it has to make some sense any other limitations. For example if I want to name a faction after myself and call the leader the smith is that a valid option?


Your name is quite interesting and would be accepted I think if it had something added to make it sound more like a faction and not a personal name (like " Brotherhood"). The leader being "The Smith" would have to depend on which faction and reasoning but it's not out of the question. Personally I think the leader using your real name would be something special you could do.

Note the names in the example above are somewhat to the point - we're fine with calling them something more exotic. The names do have to fit on the cards in the space given though obviously

James
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Brower
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
What about the Fringe House Powers? (edit: sorry, I read again that they are coming soon
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if we get to pick an alien faction or one will be assigned. I like all of them so it really doesn't matter in that way.

I'll start with the greenies, unless someone else is dying to go there.

As the is a race of change, I am thinking about something that comes out of a cocoon or chrysalis. Perhaps the young would be larva like and then they begin metamorphosing throughout the rest of their life.

Early stage: larva, slug like, the kids of the race. Intellectually limited but unlimited potential

Second stage: warrior, mantis like, prodigious strength, ability to use most tools, and intellectual capacity of an adolescent. This is the backbone of the greenie defense force.

Third stage: producer. After the end of the warrior stage the greenie evolves into a multi-limbed stick bug like creature. intellect is fully developed and the greenie begins its productive phase, learning its purpose in the species (e.g. Fireman, cop, engineer, scientist). Military leaders would also be of this stage. This stage includes those whose job is reproduction.

Fourth stage: Statesman. Butterfly like. After leaving the producer stage, the greenie becomes part of the larger government. Due to technological advancements communication is instantaneous and all members at this stage can create laws and have an equal vote in the governmental processes.

Fifth stage: elder. The final stage in the life cycle before death. dragonfly like. Elders collect the wisdom of the species together and help shape the cultural evolution of the greenies. They are the judges, artists, musicians and poets.


My thought was to include change in the very life cycle to show why they would value it. Rather than a generic hive mentality with specialized role, each individual will eventually participate in all aspects of society.


Haven't thought of a name yet, but what do you think?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Birkhold
msg tools
Hi just edited my post. Hope that clarifies a bit. I see this a little bit like the big house names of Dune.

Yours,
Markus
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Schmitz
United States
Sparks
NV
flag msg tools
Hey there!

As one of the faction namers, I'd like to submit the following for the Nano Combine

The Macrocosmic Concern - "Chairman Solomon"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
I'm not really sure on which dynasty to go with, but this would be my first suggestion.

Mezmorki wrote:
Contributor “House Names”

HiveNetwork – “The Queen”
This dynastry grew out of the co-evolution between labor and industrial machines in the old Galaxy. The dynasty as the most advanced manufacturing and assembling capabilities, manifested through the seamless integration of man and machine.

The “queen” is depicted somewhat female human in appearance but features and body constructed from a labyrinth of cybernetic hardware. Face/skin composed of tiny black/metallic scales, hint or orange/amber. Maybe multiple sets of orange eyes. Serpent like features. Lots of cables, small armor plates, etc. Possibly suggest character is sitting on a throne connected to huge cybernetic/machines. Little insectoids buzzing around the head.

The Rama Committee - "The Commander"
The inspiration is, of course, Arthur C. Clarkes' Rendezvous With Rama. The creatures/machines of Rama in the book seems to be some combination of organic and mechanic, and operate in a hive type of way. They are also seen as manufacturing both themselves and everything else from blueprints, which points to the "advanced manufacturing and assembling capabilities" suggested for the HiveNetwork.

If one postulates that man (or the post-humans) have met with a similar race, the Rama Committee is the "breeding", the fusing, of man and Raman (as if the crew in Clarke's book would have stayed on the vessel and somehow learned to intermix with them). The Rama Committee is, thus, not the Ramans or the (post)-humans, but the result of the two mixing. The name "The Commander" comes from Commander Norton of the book, and suggests the commander (and all the ones following) that first made contact with these Ramans.

I also like the insectoid look of the Ramans, and think this is more fitting than serpents. Female connected with machinery also works within this idea I think.

Also, Rama is mythological (Hinduism).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Oh, and one more suggestion (to have more to play with):

Mezmorki wrote:

Telepathic Guild - “The Grand Seer”
Mind over matter in the anthem of this dynasty. The Dynastry has risen to power by accelling in the manipulation of the physical universe through thought alone – tapping directly into the dark matters and energies of the cosmos.

The Grand Seer guides them all. Seer depicted as a human with elongated (elvish?) looking head, ageless, bald. Star constellations, planets, and other space entities in orbit around the head. Eyes closed, possible light point in center of forehead. Data cables/conduits shown connecting in a few places (i.e. suggest back of the head). Dark purple robes/clothing with modest ornamentation.


The Foundation - "The Psychohistorian"
Of course taken from Asimov's Foundation series. I like the idea of "manipulation of the physical universe through thought alone", but The Foundation does so in a more abstract sense - by predicting the large scale happenings and actions of races/empires, and manipulating the politics/economics/cultures through their knowledge. They shape the physical world through the mental/historical one. Think Professor Xavier in X-men, who can tap in to peoples minds, but here on a much larger scale.

The Psychohistorian may or may not be the founder of The Foundation (is it the same person, or is he/she replaced). The Psychohistorian has, like Seldon in the books, predicted the fall of...well, one empire (or perhaps all empires?).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
There are two (2) Fringe House Power pledge spots open at $100 for someone to grab and contribute.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
After not being able to use my family name in many games (Ruse, Up Front, etc.) because it is unusual, I was hoping to finaly be able to due to the science fiction nature of this game. It sounds like that might be a problem here as well, though.

I was hoping for something like "House Eng-Kohn" or "Eng-Kohn Combine."

Is that not going to work?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
I'm not sure if we get to pick an alien faction or one will be assigned. I like all of them so it really doesn't matter in that way.

I'll start with the greenies, unless someone else is dying to go there.

As the is a race of change, I am thinking about something that comes out of a cocoon or chrysalis. Perhaps the young would be larva like and then they begin metamorphosing throughout the rest of their life.

Early stage: larva, slug like, the kids of the race. Intellectually limited but unlimited potential

Second stage: warrior, mantis like, prodigious strength, ability to use most tools, and intellectual capacity of an adolescent. This is the backbone of the greenie defense force.

Third stage: producer. After the end of the warrior stage the greenie evolves into a multi-limbed stick bug like creature. intellect is fully developed and the greenie begins its productive phase, learning its purpose in the species (e.g. Fireman, cop, engineer, scientist). Military leaders would also be of this stage. This stage includes those whose job is reproduction.

Fourth stage: Statesman. Butterfly like. After leaving the producer stage, the greenie becomes part of the larger government. Due to technological advancements communication is instantaneous and all members at this stage can create laws and have an equal vote in the governmental processes.

Fifth stage: elder. The final stage in the life cycle before death. dragonfly like. Elders collect the wisdom of the species together and help shape the cultural evolution of the greenies. They are the judges, artists, musicians and poets.


My thought was to include change in the very life cycle to show why they would value it. Rather than a generic hive mentality with specialized role, each individual will eventually participate in all aspects of society.


Haven't thought of a name yet, but what do you think?


Very cool ideas - and it could tie in with the "blobs" in a neat way. Perhaps the "blobs" were a sect of 2nd and 3rd stage "greenies" that were unhappy with their own life-cycle prognosis and wanted to spend more time achieving power - so they altered their biology and split off, eventually evolving into the blobs?

Anyway, keep thinking about this, I like it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkor wrote:
Hey there!

As one of the faction namers, I'd like to submit the following for the Nano Combine

The Macrocosmic Concern - "Chairman Solomon"


I like that - and Solomon is a nice historical reference name. Any thoughts on a quote or how the nano-combine's backstory might be expanded?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kollapse wrote:
I'm not really sure on which dynasty to go with, but this would be my first suggestion.

Mezmorki wrote:
Contributor “House Names”

HiveNetwork – “The Queen”
This dynastry grew out of the co-evolution between labor and industrial machines in the old Galaxy. The dynasty as the most advanced manufacturing and assembling capabilities, manifested through the seamless integration of man and machine.

The “queen” is depicted somewhat female human in appearance but features and body constructed from a labyrinth of cybernetic hardware. Face/skin composed of tiny black/metallic scales, hint or orange/amber. Maybe multiple sets of orange eyes. Serpent like features. Lots of cables, small armor plates, etc. Possibly suggest character is sitting on a throne connected to huge cybernetic/machines. Little insectoids buzzing around the head.

The Rama Committee - "The Commander"
The inspiration is, of course, Arthur C. Clarkes' Rendezvous With Rama. The creatures/machines of Rama in the book seems to be some combination of organic and mechanic, and operate in a hive type of way. They are also seen as manufacturing both themselves and everything else from blueprints, which points to the "advanced manufacturing and assembling capabilities" suggested for the HiveNetwork.

If one postulates that man (or the post-humans) have met with a similar race, the Rama Committee is the "breeding", the fusing, of man and Raman (as if the crew in Clarke's book would have stayed on the vessel and somehow learned to intermix with them). The Rama Committee is, thus, not the Ramans or the (post)-humans, but the result of the two mixing. The name "The Commander" comes from Commander Norton of the book, and suggests the commander (and all the ones following) that first made contact with these Ramans.

I also like the insectoid look of the Ramans, and think this is more fitting than serpents. Female connected with machinery also works within this idea I think.

Also, Rama is mythological (Hinduism).


I like your write-up quite a bit here - and the Rama name is great. I wonder whether "Committee" is the right word though for something that's more hive-minded? Does the "Commander" need an additional name too? I could see keeping it genetic though - this is a hivemind sort of thing after all!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kollapse wrote:
Oh, and one more suggestion (to have more to play with):

Mezmorki wrote:

Telepathic Guild - “The Grand Seer”
Mind over matter in the anthem of this dynasty. The Dynastry has risen to power by accelling in the manipulation of the physical universe through thought alone – tapping directly into the dark matters and energies of the cosmos.

The Grand Seer guides them all. Seer depicted as a human with elongated (elvish?) looking head, ageless, bald. Star constellations, planets, and other space entities in orbit around the head. Eyes closed, possible light point in center of forehead. Data cables/conduits shown connecting in a few places (i.e. suggest back of the head). Dark purple robes/clothing with modest ornamentation.


The Foundation - "The Psychohistorian"
Of course taken from Asimov's Foundation series. I like the idea of "manipulation of the physical universe through thought alone", but The Foundation does so in a more abstract sense - by predicting the large scale happenings and actions of races/empires, and manipulating the politics/economics/cultures through their knowledge. They shape the physical world through the mental/historical one. Think Professor Xavier in X-men, who can tap in to peoples minds, but here on a much larger scale.

The Psychohistorian may or may not be the founder of The Foundation (is it the same person, or is he/she replaced). The Psychohistorian has, like Seldon in the books, predicted the fall of...well, one empire (or perhaps all empires?).


Yes - I see where you are going, but it is such a strong and direct tie in I'd rather stay away from directly lifting a name of another source

We could always take the basic idea of a "foundation" and the "psychohistorian" and come up with a different word. Many people will probably still see the reference but we can't be pegged for copy-catting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
After not being able to use my family name in many games (Ruse, Up Front, etc.) because it is unusual, I was hoping to finaly be able to due to the science fiction nature of this game. It sounds like that might be a problem here as well, though.

I was hoping for something like "House Eng-Kohn" or "Eng-Kohn Combine."

Is that not going to work?


I think it works. What's the national origin of the name out of curiosity?

I like the "Eng-Kohn Combine" more .... nothing should really be named "House" among the dynasties. The "House" term should refer specifically to the 6 great houses/colors only.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Mezmorki wrote:
I like your write-up quite a bit here - and the Rama name is great. I wonder whether "Committee" is the right word though for something that's more hive-minded? Does the "Commander" need an additional name too? I could see keeping it genetic though - this is a hivemind sort of thing after all!


Funny, "Committee" was the one thing I didn't really feel comfortable with. I'll try to come up with something more group-mind like.

"The Commander" was more a placeholder than anything else, I'll try some alternatives out. I do however think it should be somewhat generic - without personal names - to indicate the hive-like nature. "The Queen" is not all bad in context, but I'd like something more Rama-sounding.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Mezmorki wrote:
Yes - I see where you are going, but it is such a strong and direct tie in I'd rather stay away from directly lifting a name of another source

We could always take the basic idea of a "foundation" and the "psychohistorian" and come up with a different word. Many people will probably still see the reference but we can't be pegged for copy-catting.


I personally like the Rama one better, this was more of an "if all else fails". We'll trash this.

Thanks for the input!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Ok, so more on the Rama house.

I'm thinking that something along the lines of The Rama Confluence or Confluence of Rama might work? It suggests both a group in synergy, but also a coming toghether - the confluence of post-humans and these machine lifeforms, which is what makes these Ramans.

On the leader I was juggling with "The Voice" or something in the same vein ("The Voice of Rama" is actually a chapter title in the book), as it is both generic and points to the hive-like nature. That was until I saw the same name as a leader for your "The Collective" example. Will keep at it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon B.
msg tools
Mezmorki wrote:
Technocrats - “The Tinkerer”
The technocrats have pursued the intrictate paths of scientific inquiry, striving to tease out the ultimate nature of the cosmos from the inside of stars and center of black holes. Their entire dynasty is structured as a single giant empirical experiment, with itself as both the subject and the observer. Physically, the technocrats are advanced cybernetic entities, fusing their minds with advanced hard-suits designed to operate in any and all environments.

The Tinkerer is depicted as roughly humanoid shaped person in a heavy, bulbous suit. Domed helmet covered completely with sensors (cameras, eyes, antennae, etc), exposed dark glassy parts of the dome reflect a starscape. Additional mechanical limbs with various scientific instruments/gadgets attached. Has an inquisitive but sterile look about it.


I was thinking this might be based of of the Greek god Hephaestus. As he is the god of "blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy", mostly focusing on craftsmen. As he is sometimes referred to as the "lame" god because of his misshapen/crippled feet, it could be taken that the Technocrats are often considered ugly by others due to taking their attachment of extra instruments/gadgets too far.

I was thinking this could extend to the leaders name, as he just appends titles to his name as he learns of a new one he likes. Though I expect only two titles at most can exist on the card text.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peder Bergenwall
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Lotier wrote:
I was thinking this might be based of of the Greek god Hephaestus. As he is the god of "blacksmiths, craftsmen, artisans, sculptors, metals, metallurgy", mostly focusing on craftsmen. As he is sometimes referred to as the "lame" god because of his misshapen/crippled feet, it could be taken that the Technocrats are often considered ugly by others due to taking their attachment of extra instruments/gadgets too far.

I was thinking this could extend to the leaders name, as he just appends titles to his name as he learns of a new one he likes. Though I expect only two titles at most can exist on the card text.

I think this is a really cool idea, having the crafting/modification go "overboard" tying in to their looks.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 2 of the Greenies AKA Sidhe, Kitsune, Rakshasa, Loki, Gemini (I am currently thinking of shapeshifting names)

Having a bug race that does not fit the standard bug design (top down hierarchy and fixed specialization) while still maintaining some of the stand insect traits (metamorphosis with some specialization) clearly excites me. One other feature of insects is the tendency to produce a lot of young.

When I was a lot younger, I was introduced to the Mote in Gods Eye which in turn reinforced the primary tenet of evolution. It’s not survival of the fittest, it is survival of the species that can viably reproduce themselves the fastest and most prolifically (or cage/exterminate said species). Thus, Humans would ultimately be doomed in galactic expansion if a race of equal technology, but significantly faster reproduction were out there. Said alien would expand so fast that we would soon be surrounded. This type of species would also have a serious need for resources to continue expansion, and well, you can see what would happen.

I am thinking that the “Greenies” very likely do reproduce prolifically and this would ordinarily kill off any human expansion. However, I imagine them having this offset by a relatively short life span (30 earth years). So while they may reproduce 4x as fast as humans, humans live roughly 3x (or possibly more ) as long so overall expansion would be mostly comparable to that of humans. This would also give them a great respect for life and living one’s life to fullness at all times due to brevity.

While research would be difficult with such short life spans, the members of the elder stage may have acted like primitive computers early on in the evolutionary process, allowing the species to maintain learned knowledge and pass it on to the next generation. Even as we humans are grappling with the need for multi-generational research, the “Greenies” would have it perfected by now.

If you want to dovetail this in with the “blobs,” they would fit as a divergence from the “Greenie” line as a minor cult who researched increased life span, to greedily gain more “experience”, increase their population over the core “greenies” and lengthen their time as statesmen to gain inordinate political power. This would be anathema to a species devoted to living in the now, celebrating diversity, and working at the best of your abilities in the time you have.

This unclean/impure element would be expunged. And with further genetic tempering the blob could have become almost anything. The only core remaining desire would be to have no limitations what-so-ever.

Thinking about names, I looked at it from a human first contact scenario. Odds are they started out with a number or designation. With such a short lived species, their Ambassadors likely changed a lot as each former ambassador became a statesman, and requests from humans to meet with Ambassador “Krang” would result in the stick bug they are used to being replaced by a butterflyish or a dragonflyish creature. Thus, I could see humans using some type of name based on shapechanging. Add to that our tendency to name celestial or unknown objects after mythology, and I came up with the samples at the top. I like Rakshasa the best except that they are pretty malign entities, and I’m not sure humans would see the “greenies” that way. Sidhe is my current second favorite especially with both winged and non-winged members of the species. Kitsune or Loki fits if the Greenies are more playful (which a race that lives in the moment may be). Gemini was sort of an after thought. I considered more modern names like Chaneys, Crensons (sleepers), or masks, but they sounded more informal rather than respectful. Perhaps they would be street slang for member of the species. Any thoughts on other fitting names are appreciated.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
Part 2 of the Greenies AKA Sidhe, Kitsune, Rakshasa, Loki, Gemini (I am currently thinking of shapeshifting names)


Very cool!

I actually like Rakshasa quite a bit, and that one stood out when starting to read your post - and then I see at the bottom that's your favorite as well!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to bump from House Powers level back down to Spacer level due to budgetary concerns. cry I do have a few thoughts to share, so take them for what they are worth.

While I think the various pledge levels offer a unique opportunity for someone to leave their "mark" on a board game, I do find it somewhat self-serving to name the dynasties/leaders after your surname. YMMV.

I am hugely in favor of continuing the mythological references that begin with the House Names (Osiris, Marduk, etc). I think it would be cool to draw from a variety of ancient mythologies, which Oliver has already done, to some extent. Below are a few patchwork ideas I threw together during my lunch break:

"The Cerberus Organization" - obviously Greek. This just seems to have a cool ring to it, sounds like it has a lot of gravitas (To me, anyway). I mean, c'mon, it doesn't get much more bad-ass than a three-headed hound! Since industrial complexes feature heavily in the gameplay, this dynasty could feature flavor text in that direction.

"The Ragnarok Catalyst" - this is obviously from Norse mythology, would fit with House Vanir (at least in origin). The Ragnarok was supposed to be an "end-of-days" event in Norse mythology; they could possibly be extremists who are trying to usher in a new era (you know the type, just look at any comic book villain ever!).

"The League of Quetzalcoatl" - I would love to see something done with Aztec mythology. The primary roadblock here is that most of the names of their gods are pretty damn near unpronouncable! I think most folks have heard of/know how to say Quetzalcoatl though. Maybe too much text for a card, who knows.

Would also like be interested to see something done with Japanese mythology, particularly given that one of the houses is named "Bushido." Again, you run into the pronunciation problem, at least for us uncultured westerners.

Like I mentioned above, I'm not one of the "official" contributors, but I am very much looking forward to this game, love the mythology bent, and just had to put in my $.02.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.