Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Giles joins Erik & Donald to talk about teaching games.

In the review-a-palooza, Erik and Don review:
Spaceteam
Droidippy
Lords of Waterdeep
Train to Nuremberg
Labyrinth
TieBreaker
Alibi

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg99-teach-me-obi-don

RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik there is Clue Express, or Clue the Card game I don't remember that is Clue, but just with the cards, there are no dice or movement, it's very fast.

About Doridippy, the problem of playing something like that is that the fun of Diplomacy is the time you spend talking, and negotiating, I don't see myself writing long emails each turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true on that, but I think the Driodippy will develop it's own game style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised that Alibi got a green light - I've tried it twice, but it bombed both times. I find that questions asked in the early game provide hardly any info after a few cards have been passed around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that Alibi got a green light - I've tried it twice, but it bombed both times. I find that questions asked in the early game provide hardly any info after a few cards have been passed around.

I've never played it, but from how Erik discussed in the review I'd be willing to believe that it was given such a good review because it was a band-aid on the deep wounds left by Clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:

I guess, but then that is not Diplomacy. It's Guess-where-theotherplayerswillmove-macy

I only play Chinese Mahjong (not the solitaire Shangai that everybody knows as Mahjong) on the Android, and Go, two games I love, but I don't find oponents, and I'm very bad at those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

I guess, but then that is not Diplomacy. It's Guess-where-theotherplayerswillmove-macy

I only play Chinese Mahjong (not the solitaire Shangai that everybody knows as Mahjong) on the Android, and Go, two games I love, but I don't find oponents, and I'm very bad at those.

What Go app have you found? I'm horrible at Go, but I'd love to give it a... I'd like to get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very bad at Go, I use to play with Handicap 5 on the small board and lose, I play with:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ligi.goban...

I also recomend the Mahjong game, I'm way over 100 games on that, and still don't know all the possible scores you can do

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epoint.and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Wyckyd wrote:

I've never played it, but from how Erik discussed in the review I'd be willing to believe that it was given such a good review because it was a band-aid on the deep wounds left by Clue.

I played Clue a lot when I was little, and have fond memories of it. I do agree that moving around the board detracts from the fun.
But because you don't pass cards around, I find the deduction aspect of Clue a lot more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear a review of a game which isn't a Euro. Labyrinth rates amongst my favourites and is different every time you play it. I've even suggested that non-Wargamers play it as a way to introduce the CDG genre. If only they would make an update which contains card covering the events which have happened since the game was published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
scopa wrote:
Good to hear a review of a game which isn't a Euro. Labyrinth rates amongst my favourites and is different every time you play it. I've even suggested that non-Wargamers play it as a way to introduce the CDG genre. If only they would make an update which contains card covering the events which have happened since the game was published.

We'd love to review more blockbuster games, but what I review is limited to what I receive or my friends purchase. (Due to some unplanned for expenses last year I have zero entertainment budget for the foreseeable future.) Recommend us to any companies that which produce the non-Euro games you'd like us to review. We can't guarantee a green light, but we will try to make sure the game gets to the reviewer who plays, and can best evaluate, that style of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The proper name for the side of the moon we don't see from Earth is "farside", and as mentioned it gets the same amount of sunlight as the nearside (arguably more, since that side will never be eclipsed by the Earth).

Since we have sent many spacecraft in orbit around the moon (and have photographed teh farside), and Aliens would have to be well hidden or underground.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all in on a civilisation of Lizardmen at the center of the moon. They're seeding the surface with He3 in the hope of luring us from our mother planet so they can claim to the galactic council that their attack was provoked.

I read it on the internet, so it's probable.

On a different note - I wonder how long it will be before the increase in the moons distance from Earth affects the tidal lock mechanism that keeps the far side the far side? Because I'm sure that would convince my wife that we need to buy a better telescope if the answer was 'soon'.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
The proper name for the side of the moon we don't see from Earth is "farside", and as mentioned it gets the same amount of sunlight as the nearside....

Seems like I knew that at one point.

N9IWP wrote:
Since we have sent many spacecraft in orbit around the moon (and have photographed teh farside), and Aliens would have to be well hidden or underground.

unless it was dark when we went... alright that was stupid.

Unless the aliens arrived AFTER we quit going, or perhaps they demanded we quit flying over their swimming pools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, First Train to Nurembergis a revamping of Last Train to Wensleydale, and is what is on the other side of the board (with less garish colors than the original Wensleydale map)
The other difference is the addition of first class passengers (there may be other differences, but I don't know them off the top of my head)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the expression "dark side of the moon", "dark" is the sense Merriam Webster lists at 1 dark 4b:

not known or explored because of remoteness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for talking about SpaceTeam. I picked up the app and my son and I have been having a blast playing it. Talk about INTENSE! Well worth supporting. Fun, fun, fun iOS game. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Cullop
Oman
flag msg tools
"There is no dark side in the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. (The only thing that makes it look light is the sun.)"
-Gerry O'Driscoll, doorman at Abbey Road studios. Part of this answer appears on Eclipse from Pink Floyd's 1973 album The Dark side of the Moon so it must be true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
I'm all in on a civilisation of Lizardmen at the center of the moon. They're seeding the surface with He3 in the hope of luring us from our mother planet so they can claim to the galactic council that their attack was provoked.

On a different note - I wonder how long it will be before the increase in the moons distance from Earth affects the tidal lock mechanism that keeps the far side the far side? Because I'm sure that would convince my wife that we need to buy a better telescope if the answer was 'soon'.

Cheers,

Giles.

Don't be silly Giles, if you watched Dr. Who, you'd know the Lizardmen (and women) live at the center of the earth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indhra wrote:
caradoc wrote:

Cheers,

Giles.

Don't be silly Giles, if you watched Dr. Who, you'd know the Lizardmen (and women) live at the center of the earth!

So you're saying that the moon base was just what they wanted me to think? Curse those Lizard men - it wouldn't be the first time they've tricked me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Cullop
Oman
flag msg tools
caradoc wrote:
Indhra wrote:
caradoc wrote:

Cheers,

Giles.

So you're saying that the moon base was just what they wanted me to think? Curse those Lizard men - it wouldn't be the first time they've tricked me!

Lizardmen are everywhere. they just don't look like lizardmen.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.