Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-revie...

Conclusion:

Atlanteon is a odd game that comes in a purple box with some evil, weird creatures on the front attacking a castle of some sort. The game is very different than the box; okay, not different, but not what I expected. I expected a war game or at least a battle system, what I get is math, counting numbers type of game.

But do I like it? The answer is yes. For some reason, I really like this game. The rules are simple (just two pages), yet there are a lot of decisions in the game. This game (especially the last few moves) are a real brain burner, but AP should never hamper the experience. In most ways, this is a light game with some hard decisions. The components are top notch for the type of game it is.

This game will survive the purge because it plays quicker than the fun. What I mean is, the game is fun even when it is over so you don't mind playing again.

Components:

This is not your normal Fantasy Flight game (i.e. no minis). You get a few tiles for each player and some wooden components that are used throughout the game. You get a blue and white (and not black and white) rule book that is sufficient. As is the case with most Knizia games, the components are far and few, but not horrible by any means. They do the job.

Rule Book:

The rule book comes in a few languages and use an odd blue and white tint to everything. It includes plenty of examples and pictures. The game is rather easy to understand and the rules do not get in the way of the simplicity.

The rules are two pages (although the book is longer due to multiple languages).

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is simple. You may place one of your tiles on the board in an empty square. After placing the tile, you check to see if any tiles/towers are surrounded.

Each of your tiles have a number on it and are exactly the same of your opponents save color and artwork (i.e. the numbers are the same).

If a tile is surrounded orthogonally, then you score a tile. Basically to score, you calculate the number on the tiles around it and whoever has the highest numbers scores the tile/tower.

The game ends when the king tile is surrounded, you get all 3 towers, or most likely, you control 11 control markers and your king is in play.

You get one point, at game end, for each of your opponents control markers not on the board and you play two games total.

To be honest, we normally just play one game.

Should I buy this?:

It is hard to recommend this game. You can literally make it with paper and a pencil, but I am sure the game is cheap. You can read the flow of the game and see if it would appeal to you. It is a simple, math-type game that will turn some people off. I'm not sure it was designed to be a big seller, but it is a fun little game that scratches an itch for me.

This survives the purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won this in an auction and haven't played it. I'll have to dig it out now.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
Australia
wollongong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, it's a Knizia therefore I like it. But actually it's good, a numbers abstract (a sub-genre not everyone enjoys). I think the theme does a little disservice to the game (people might expect something with a stronger theme) but otherwise I think it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.