Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik and Don are joined by the amazing Scott Nicholson and a host of others to celebrate 100 episodes. In the round table, they discuss podcasts and other media and how it relates to boardgames, as well as answer listener questions.

You can view the unedited video feed of this episode at YouTube at :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeAuUyfrXpw&feature=youtu.be

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-100-on-board-games-with-s...

Random trivia. This episode is being released on Feb 3, 2013 which is Super Bowl Sunday in the US. Our very first recording (episode 0) was recorded on a Super Bowl Sunday as well.

RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Wayne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on 100 episodes!!! One of my favorite podcasts!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to second the Congratualtions! Love this podcast keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here's to another 100 On Beard Board Games!

Did I hear that an RPG spinoff is in the works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
Here's to another 100 On Beard Board Games!

Did I hear that an RPG spinoff is in the works?

You did, we've recorded episodes, the website is being made. In all, it's late. That's probably my fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjo Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this show a lot, especially the section about "cult of the old" vs. burn out. We had a great member of our gaming group that purchased new games each week for over a year. While it was wonderful to have new things to try each week, I found myself getting a bit burnt out on this type of gaming after a while.

This member has since moved away, and our group is smaller now, but we're really diving into playing our current collection all the time now. Scott has a great point; it is so refreshing to sit down with a group of people that all know how to play the game you pull out. We're now logging tons of plays on Castles of Burgundy, Agricola, Catan, and a few other classics that the whole group really enjoys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have to agree about board game burnout. New game reviews are coming way faster than any single human being could possibly play them. If I actually stayed on top of "board game current events" I would never have time to play any games.

On Board Games does a "what we're playing" section that can include any game from anytime and I love hearing about the old games that have stood the test of time.

The Dice Tower is even running entire "Best of _____" shows going back to specific years. I just tried coming up with the some nominations for best of 1998, and to be honest there is not much that has stayed with us to the present day.

Love hearing about old games, will keep listening to you guys and Scott's inplay videos to get my fix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to burn out on my blog about a year ago. I realized at the time it was the pressure I was putting on myself to produce content. It helped while I was at Father Geek, but then I felt like I wasn't holding up my end of the bargain. Now, I just write when I feel like writing. I don't even have any idea how many people are reading my blog now that vampirestat and zombiestat have corrupted the count.

I think that's a big factor in burnout - the expectations we put upon ourselves. That's true whether it's to play and review games or just to get through our collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on 100 episodes! There are few podcasts that can compare to On Board Games for content, and I'm thrilled that there's no end in sight!

One thing that I want to mention, however, is regarding Scott's little comment about how nasty BGG is now compared to the "good old days". Now in the big picture, there may be a marginal decline in civility over the last few years, but I think that there may also be some rose-tinted glasses in play looking back. Because back in that period was when the whole Ameritrash/Eurosnoot wars took place, and I don't think that you could call anything about that whole period very "nice" or "civil".

But anyway, thanks for 100 great episodes, and keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
Congratulations on 100 episodes! There are few podcasts that can compare to On Board Games for content, and I'm thrilled that there's no end in sight!

One thing that I want to mention, however, is regarding Scott's little comment about how nasty BGG is now compared to the "good old days". Now in the big picture, there may be a marginal decline in civility over the last few years, but I think that there may also be some rose-tinted glasses in play looking back. Because back in that period was when the whole Ameritrash/Eurosnoot wars took place, and I don't think that you could call anything about that whole period very "nice" or "civil".

But anyway, thanks for 100 great episodes, and keep up the great work!

Great point Chris, though there was a period before the 'civil war', where things seemed pretty darned cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jeffers
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh I just spent 15 minutes searching iTunes and then Googling for where to find On RPGs. Well, at least the answer is here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.