Tournay» Forums » General

Subject: Tournay or Troyes for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Troyes with 2 and 3 players, and I enjoyed it, but it feels best with 3.

I was thinking on ordering Troyes to play just with my partner, but recently noticed about Tournay (which is far cheaper than Troyes), and feels it suits pretty good with 2 players.

-How deep/strategic is Tournay compared to Troyes?
-How much playtime has Tournay with 2 players?
-Which one would reccommend me to play with my partner?

Thanks in advance,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is my number 2 game and I have enjoyed it playing with 2 as well as 3 players. Though I like Tournay, I've only gotten it to the table once and though I like it, I've debated whether or not to sell it on multiple occasions. My only play was with 3 players and my biggest issue with it is that it doesn't feel as intuitive as Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Troyes.

I got Tournay recently, in part because my most frequent opportunities are to play with my daughter. According to BGG, it seemed that Tourney might be a better 2-player game than Troyes.

We played Tournay last night. (Not our first time, but our first time after really mastering the rules.) I think that the whole game took 25-30 minutes.

My daughter is not (yet) a deep and strategic player. Nevertheless, she was able to enjoy playing Tournay.

The various cards interact in different ways, and there are opportunities for strategies based on combinations of cards. Thus, I think that the game may appeal somewhat to deeper players (who look for those strategies) as well as more casual ones (who don't).

It seems clear that Tournay is quite a bit simpler than Troyes. In Tournay, each turns offers a variety of choices, but not so many as in Troyes (I think) - and each action in Tournay is relatively simple and quick to perform.

Tournay is a game whose length depends on the number of players. The game-end rules seem to be such that a 4-player game will tend to be less than twice as long as a 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigrevasco_2003 wrote:
I have played Troyes with 2 and 3 players, and I enjoyed it, but it feels best with 3.

I was thinking on ordering Troyes to play just with my partner, but recently noticed about Tournay (which is far cheaper than Troyes), and feels it suits pretty good with 2 players.

-How deep/strategic is Tournay compared to Troyes?
-How much playtime has Tournay with 2 players?
-Which one would reccommend me to play with my partner?

Thanks in advance,

1. Tournay is a lighter game than Troyes. It feels more akin to other card games than a meaty euro. Tournay has you building an individual tableau, but unlike most games of this ilk, there's plenty of player interaction. It feels as if Glory to Rome/RFTG had a baby with Troyes.

2. About 30-45 minutes.

3. I think Tournay might possibly be best with 2, Troyes isn't best with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
Troyes isn't best with 2.

It may not be BEST with 2, but it is still quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
blakstar wrote:
Troyes isn't best with 2.

It may not be BEST with 2, but it is still quite good.

I agree. If Troyes were only a 2P game, with the rules as presented, it would still be one of my favorite games... I've said other places I like it with 3 best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tournay is a great game for 2, but please note they're very different games. Tournay feels more like Roma than it feels like Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caught in a mechanism
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
It feels as if Glory to Rome/RFTG had a baby with Troyes.

Precisely my feelings about Tournay, which I do not own (yet): it reminds me a lot of RftG. I've only played it with three players, but my guess is that it plays nicely (better?) with only two.

On the other hand, I think it may be a little MORE involved than its older brother Troyes, which I do own and adore. I see the board in Troyes as one big "tableau" shared by all the players. In Tournay, every player has his own tableau, but they may interact. So, a winning strategy demands attention to the tableaux of your opponents as well as to your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshdewa Anderson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RFTG and Tournay only have that tableau build in common, really.
Though both tableau builds work toward an 'engine', (in my opinion)the mechanics are really too diverse and dynamics too obtuse to fairly relate the two.

Tournay as a 2 player game, after tens of plays, has a such a strong pressurized game end mechanic with needing only 3 city criers--bittersweet. Many games will end short in highly competitive or highly gambled games but it provides very strong interesting priority switches throughout. (This game seems best as a 4 player game. Players tend to gravitate together more and usually ends with the other game end mechanic. The game feels more fulfilling.)

This is not to say this game is bad as a 2 player game, my wife and I love it. It's a very refreshing worker placement card game akin to William Attia's Caylus Magna Carta and new Spyrium. Both are very similar in dynamics, and I guarantee the appeal in Tournay translates into these games very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.