4 Posts

Tournay» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of Resolving Cards with Monk or Templar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion adds characters (Monks and Templars) that let you activate another building - which can then lead to drawing a Town Crier.

Consider the following.

I activate a Building that triggers two Characters: a Monk and a Lawyer.

Applying the Lawyer first could get me Deniers. Then applying the Monk, I could activate another Building that causes me to draw cards so as to expose a Town Crier. That might trigger an event, causing me to lose the Deniers.

If I apply the Monk first, I may be protected because I wouldn't get the Deniers till after the event was applied.

Similarly with a Monk and a Knight (from expansion) if, for example, there are no Deniers on the Event cards. The Monk might lead to a Town Crier putting Deniers on the events that the Knight could then combat. If the Knight is applied first, there are no events to combat.

Maybe say that Monks and Templars are always activated last?

Or maybe let the active player choose which Character to apply first? The player would need to completely resolve that Character (along with any triggered Events, additional Characters, etc.) before moving on to the next Character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted one of the designers, Alain Orban, and he answered the question as follows: "you resolve the character cards in the order that you want."

Thanks, Alain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Poland
Warsaw
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this example a little broken? The Lawyer is a character activated after you PLACE a building. The Monk activates when you ACTIVATE a building. Placing and activating buildings take place in two different phases. How can you choose then to use the Monk first and the Lawyer after that? Don't you have to earn deniers in phase 1 after you've placed a building and then use the Monk during phase 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that example with Monk and Lawyer is broken.

What about Monk and Prior?

Activating a white building on a corner between a Monk and a Prior could trigger both of them.

Suppose that you use the Monk to activate a Barn (draw a Level II yellow card), leading to an event that results in your paying Deniers.

Suppose that you have no Deniers initially.

If you resolve Prior first, you get 2 Deniers that you then lose to the event.

If you resolve the Monk (and thereby the Barn), you have no Deniers to lose - and then resolving the Prior leaves you with 2 Deniers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.