Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Keller joins Erik and Don to talk about what it takes to be a good playtester.

In the review-a-palooza, Erik and Don review:
* DC Comics Deckbuilder
* Marvel Legendary
* Talk a bit about Sentinels of the Multiverse
* Zooloretto

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-102-pass-your-playtest

RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik mentioned playing an expansion for Space Cadets in this episode. More details? I love the base game so I'm curious what this expansion is and when/if availability is on the table. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own Zooloretto, you don't need to own Coloretto, and vice versa?
Hogwash!

In all seriousness, I love Coloretto, but dislike Zooloretto. The basic mechanic is so fun, but I don't like all the fluff that Zooloretto adds to it. On the other hand, I can imagine people disliking Coloretto for being too light / short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R. Keller
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to thank Don and Erik for making me feel so welcome. I hope I was able to impart some wisdom to other designers/playtesters out there.

Prime Time, I was actually the one who got a chance to try out the Space Cadets game. It's more of a standalone sequel/spinoff than an actual expansion, since they don't play together. I don't know exactly what I'm allowed to say about it (I don't want to steal Geoff's thunder).

But I think I can say that it's a very fast, very frantic dice game with two teams facing off to destroy the other team's ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rellekmr wrote:
I'd like to thank Don and Erik for making me feel so welcome. I hope I was able to impart some wisdom to other designers/playtesters out there.

Prime Time, I was actually the one who got a chance to try out the Space Cadets game. It's more of a standalone sequel/spinoff than an actual expansion, since they don't play together. I don't know exactly what I'm allowed to say about it (I don't want to steal Geoff's thunder).

But I think I can say that it's a very fast, very frantic dice game with two teams facing off to destroy the other team's ship.

Gotcha. Looking forward to hearing more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Svejda
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting discussion of playtesting...
What I always wonder about when thinking about playtesting, is how to account for the fact that the game experience will change after having played a game more than just once or twice. The examples you discussed seemed to focus more on "first impressions" and learning game sessions, which obviously are also important.

Another thing that makes my mind boggle, is how to analyze / playtest a game like Smash Up or Summoner Wars, in order to catch any strong imbalances between factions. How can you separate game design from other factors like how well a test player can play the game?

Maybe things to talk about another time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
If you own Zooloretto, you don't need to own Coloretto, and vice versa?
Hogwash!

:D

In all seriousness, I love Coloretto, but dislike Zooloretto. The basic mechanic is so fun, but I don't like all the fluff that Zooloretto adds to it. On the other hand, I can imagine people disliking Coloretto for being too light / short.

+1 Absolutely. I on the other hand love Zooloretto precisely because the theme is so appealing to my son so we play it together. Coloretto (which I love just as much) has no appeal to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting - I listen to a lot of people talk about this 'Jones Theory' of games knocking other games out of a collection. I don't subscribe. If I like a game or a style of game I might have several games that hit a similar spot. I like fantasy fiction as well as games - and I own more than a single copy of Lord of The Rings.

Here are the qualifiers for me keeping a game -

if I like it.
if I am likely to play it.
if it serves purpose (x number of players, doorstop, whatever).

For the -retto discussion - I own Coloretto, Zooloretto, Aquaretto, Mini Zooloretto - I'm happy with that and don't really feel I need to get rid of any of them - I don't mind them, and my wife likes them. Simple!

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:

if I like it.

And that pretty much works with Jones Theory. If it's going to get to the table, despite the other games you own, then keep it. If it won't get played because it's been replaced in the hearts and minds of the owner/group, ditch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
caradoc wrote:

if I like it.

And that pretty much works with Jones Theory. If it's going to get to the table, despite the other games you own, then keep it. If it won't get played because it's been replaced in the hearts and minds of the owner/group, ditch it.

And that's fair enough - but I always viewed the Jones Theory as a concept that indicates redundancy in your collection - particularly linked to a games theme or mechanisms - if it's as simple as getting rid of games you don't play any more than I'm all in (well - I should be all in - I need the space under my bed back for all the miniatures I've been buying lately)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.