Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After yet another game with a bunch of new players last night (just before the Melbourne grand prix) I found myself once again trying to teach that "ah ha" thing that turns Formula D from a dice-rolling guessing game into a faster paced push-your-luck strategy game, and that for me has been figuring out the longest routes through corners.

Despite taking some time to highlight these, and offer the rule of thumb of staying on the outside of the corners, some of my new players struggle to figure these out time and time again.

So I was thinking about finding a subtle pen (silver line ?) and marking the longest routes on the track ! So at least newbies have got a "basic line" to try and follow, just to get them started with at least a semi-optimal strategy (many get frustrated and end up going straight through corners, leading to sudden drops into low gears in multi-stop corners)

Any thoughts around this ? I'm obviously reluctant to mark my precious boards, but equally am having trouble getting new recruits to this classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Samford
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about a transparency sheet and dry erase markers?

I understand where you're coming from. When I teach new players, they tend to blow through corners. While there are run-away leaders and player elimination, I try to convey that the meat of the game can be that tight race between 2nd & 3rd. At least with my group. That and it's not a game unless someone rolls 6th gear and/or blows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gillman
England
flag msg tools
mb
I would advise against this.
I've been involved in games where experienced players have made mistakes and taken the route they thought was shortest, but was not.
Marking the route out would have stopped this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I like the idea of temporarily highlighting the routes via transparency film. Not sure whether to do this with one big, re-useable sheet, or cut out some smaller sheets to "attach" (or if heavy enough, just place) on the board. Might take experimentation I feel !

Certainly, in a pro game, perhaps you shouldn't have this helpful guide, but to be honest an experienced player who doesn't (a) know how to find the longest route in 2-3 seconds and (b) doesn't use the "longest / shortest route" distance flags on each corner is probably not yet an experienced player.

I know in experienced games, I'll usually just move my car next to the right part of the (empty) corner and then say "longest route is 8, so it's 8 squares to here" rather than move my car one square at a time, as it's accepted I'll find that longest route eventually, so lets assume I already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Formula De maps used to have the longest route highlighted on them in light blue. I think they do add a touch of class to help the new guys out. The publishers of the new game think they're not necessary but the old publishers think they were. Seems like your friends might have liked the older boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have all 2nd edition tracks and a few 1st edition.
None of them have routes highlighted in light blue.

It is correct, that such highligthed routes exist in the java version of the game, but I have never seen them elsewhere.

One problem that springs to mind immdiately with this is: How do you handle corners that have more than one 'longest route'?

Apart from that, I believe finding the longest routes in any given coprner is trivial, and something that is completely ok to go through with new players every time they go into a corner.

Experienced players are on their own, but will normally not make errors in the corners, but rather in placement before the corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to say, I have a LOT of older boards, and none of them are highlighted (indeed, we were playing on the old Melbourne track).

My current approach IS to point out the "longest route" of each corner for players as they encounter them, but I have found that a large number of first time players do not find it trivial to locate that route.

This may be a reflection of the accessibility of modern gaming - the gaming group I attend is full of people who I suspect 10 years ago would NEVER have been boardgamers, but as the hobby and games have become more accessible are now coming along. Some older games, such as Formula D, don't quite match up to modern designs in terms of "smooth learning curve", perhaps ?

Certainly on the surface, there is an easy game of Formula De - this is also not a particularly fun game though (as it's just roll dice, move, and react to what happened). A moderate step down is a fantastic push-your-luck, plan 2-3 moves ahead racing game, which I know and love. It just doesn't seem to come through in that first game, and I this idea of "cheat lines" for the corners might bridge that gap.

Corners with more than one longest route... you could draw the mutliple lines ? Or just draw the most obvious line and leave the rest as an exercise for the player ? After all, that line is going to get blocked, and people are going to have to go around them, potentially. But at least they will realise the compromise they have made in doing that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.