Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Adarga
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This solo variant is in development. I have tried it a few times, and it seems to work. If you try it, let me know how it worked: modifications and recommendations are welcomed.

My goals were to make the variant, (a) streamlined, (b) as close to the normal game as possible, and (c) to minimize "thinking for" the dummy player.

SET UP

• Set the supply and events normally.
• Player 1 (you): take 2 citizen of each color and 9 Denier.
• Player 2 (dummy) takes 2 citizen of each color. No money. One rampant. Take the town crier out of the level 3 decks. Shuffle each pile and give the Player 2 one of each level III cards face down. You will not look at them until scoring.
• Put back the town criers and set the decks up normally.
• Player 3 (even more of a dummy). 1 citizen of each color. Player 1 (for 2 Denier) and Player 2 (for free) can borrow from Player 3. Player 3 never has actions.

GAME PLAY

Player 1 starts the game, playing normally. You can borrow citizens from Player 3 but not from Player 2. Nonetheless, the 2 coins you pay when you use Player 3's citizens are given to Player 2. When you bring your citizens back to your square, return any from Player 3 to its square as well.

Player 2 is controlled by rolling a die. When something comes up that is not specified here, Player 2 would do the most logical action (this applies especially for events, but Player 2 will never buy a rampant, it will only have the one given during set-up).

Every turn, roll a die for Player 2 and consult the following:[/i]

1 Draw and play a card (for free: Player 2 never pays to build in his district. Also, building is not a separate action for Player 2).

Which deck does Player 2 draw from? Roll again:1 Yellow I; 2 White I; 3 Red I; 4 Yellow II; 5 White II; 6 Red II

• The deck has a face-up building? Take it.
• The deck has a face-up character? Take the first card underneath it, and put the character in the bottom of the deck.
• The deck no face-up cards? Take the first one and build it.

Where does Player 2 build? The dummy player will build three rows, one of each color, each containing a maximum of three cards. Build left to right while there are available spaces.

If there are no spaces: build on top of a card if and only if the new card provides more PP. Otherwise discard.

2 Lay down a Player 1 figure of the color you have the most standing. If tie: roll a die, 1 and 4= yellow; 2 and 5 = white; 3 and 6 = red. Re-roll if necessary.

3Player 2 buys a random figure. roll a die, 1 and 4= yellow; 2 and 5 = white; 3 and 6 = red. Re-roll if necessary. Player 2 cannot buy the last citizen of each color. If so, its turn ends.

4 5 6 Activate building. No buildings available AND Player 2 has 5 or less buildings in its district? Act as if the roll had been a 1

Which building is activated?
• Is the last built building empty? Yes: activate it if Player 2 has available citizens. No available citizens? Borrow: first from Player 3; if not available, borrow from Player 1 (you get two Denier, unless Player 2 has no money, in which case you do not get any, but it still uses your citizen.)
• Last built building is not empty: activate building most to the right for which it has available citizens.

If all P2 citizens of two colors are down. Bring all of them to the square. If he was using any from the Player 3, put them in its square.

How to activate abilities for Player 2:
• Draw and build a single card following dummy building rules (if it allows to draw two card, just draw and build only one). If player 2 draws a level III card (Barn, Bishopric, etc.), draw a III card and put it aside but face up (scoring this face-up III cards will be optional).
• Actions requiring money will be accomplished if Player 2 has money. Otherwise, discard.
• Cards that indicate “Any” card/citizen: roll a die, 1 and 4= yellow; 2 and 5 = white; 3 and 6 = red.
• Other actions: do whatever is most logical and beneficial to Player 2 (this includes whenever it can use your buildings.)

END OF GAME AND SCORING: [edited]

Conditions apply as in the rules, with the following exception: if at the end of the game player 2 has less than 9 cards, fill all empty spaces by drawing level II cards of the color corresponding to that row.

Scoring--pick a difficulty:

-Easy: Player 1 scores his prestige cards and also those of Player 2 as in the normal rules, but Player 2 only scores its prestige cards.
-Medium: Follow the rules.
-Hard: Player 2 scores your prestige cards, but you do not score Player 2's prestige cards.
-Harder: Player 2's III cards that are face up (because they were drawn by activating a building) are scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Adarga
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made some edits to the rules above, which now have difficulty levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chien
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for creating this solo variant. I'm new to the game, and just have a couple of questions about the solo rules:

When you roll a 3 for player two, do you purchase the random figure (i.e., meeple) from the board or could it come from the players as well?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.