Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone.

I'm planning to host a Memoir tournament at the UK Games Expo 2013 in Birmingham.(New venue this year - see Expo website for details)...

http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/bookevents.php?category=bor

It would be great to see faces old and new.

I'll be posting more details here so watch this space.

Feel free to ask any questions here or via geek mail

Looking forward to another great day's gaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is a bit far for me to travel, I am very interested in the details of the tournament. What scenarios are being run, how scoring will be done, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dale

Thanks for the questions. I’ll try to answer as well as elaborate a little to help make this a one-stop 'shop' for anyone wanting to know more about this event and gauge whether it might be of interest.

Those familiar with my previous events and notices on these boards may be familar with what follows but it may help some so, here goes...

This will be my seventh straight Memoir tournament/event held at the UK Games Expo (yes, I’ve been there since the start!), and in every one of the previous years I have tried to make the event both open to new (novice) players and a challenge to veterans. I do this by making use of all of the expansion packs to give players the variety of scenarios covering the Eastern, Pacific and Mediterranean theatres as well as the 'standard' Western Front scenarios from the base game. The latter tend to be less 'complex', not that Memoir could ever really be considered difficult in wargame terms, but newer players can sometimes feel overwhelmed by some of the additional rules the expansions include. I therefore try, where possible, to allot the new players one of the western Front scenarios for their first round. This helps to build their confidence with the game mechanics before attempting the slightly more involved 'expansion' scenarios and I always make sure I'm around to help with any questions / clarifications.

I hope to make this year's event just as challenging to the veterans but every bit as open to players totally new to the game.

The tournament is solo and not team play. The format depends on the total number of players but I tend to structure the event into two distinct sections. The first preliminary rounds (morning and early afternoon) we split the participants (randomly) into two groups. One group takes the role of the Allies and plays all the preliminary rounds as the Allied side against a different Axis opponent in every round, recording their scores for each round. Players are then ranked in order of their group:- highest number of wins; highest number of medals won; lowest number of medals lost; highest numbers of casualties caused; lowest number of casualties taken, to find the highest ranked Allied player and the highest ranked Axis player. This way, as an Allied Player you are actually competing against your fellow Allied group members rather than your Axis opponents. I use this format because it helps to equalise the imbalance in many of the scenarios. It doesn't matter if you play a scenario as the Allied Player that particularly favours the Axis side since you are trying to beat the respective scores of all the other Allied players that play the same scenario. At the end of the preliminaries, normally 3 or 4 rounds, we then rank all the players with the top Allied and Axis player playing in a final round to determine the overall winner. This last round is the same scenario played twice with each player taking both Allied and Axis sides and the aggregate score over the two games determining the winner. Likewise all other ranks play off to determine the rankings for the event. Players can always skip this last stage if they'd rather spend time looking around the Expo but I have to say that in my previous 6 tournaments we have yet to have anyone drop out. Everyone seems to enjoy themselves to the point that they want to compete to the end to earn their tournament placing rank. We do also allow some ‘free’ time in between rounds for the attendees to go and enjoy the Expo. I would not recommend anyone spends the whole day shut away in a tournament event and miss some of the other great activities that the Expo has to offer.

As for the scenarios played I do tend to mix and match between all the expansions. There will be at least one Eastern Front, Mediterranean and one Pacific Theatre scenario (as well as the base game) for you to play so you get a good variety and it helps many players to try these expansions for the first time.

By the way, I follow exactly the same format for the C&C Ancients event that I run on the Sunday since the same ‘imbalance’ often applies to the battles played.

Please feel free to post here or send me a geek mail if you have any questions on the above or anything else that might be unclear.

Thanks for reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 3 places left - looks like I'm going to have to spend another year on the sidelines.
Probably just as well - last time I sat in to make up numbers I lost 3 straight preliminary rounds. Have to keep the punters happy. 8)

Thanks to all that have booked. I appreciate the support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
United Kingdom
UXBRIDGE
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Barry,

Having had a lot of fun last year (I was robbed!), I've booked in again.

I thought I'd check whether there's anything I could usefully bring along? You seemed to have enough of everything last year, but I thought I'd ask (I've just acquired the Equipment Pack, for example, if you're thinking of using any of the scenarios from this and would need more copies).

Cheers,

Pevans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul.

Thanks for the note. It will be good to see that anguished look on your face again!!

If its not too much trouble I could probably make use of your copies of base + eastern + pacific exps.
I'd rather have too many copies than not enough.

Thanks again and see you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Zielinski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how did the tournament go this year? After last year's disgraceful effort on my part, I couldn't show my face this year... (Or indeed, some very close (non-gamer.... ) friends booked their wedding the weekend of the expo )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Marcus

Shame you couldn't make it this year.
We had 14 players so split into two groups of seven as Axis and Allied camps and each player played a total of 3 out of 4 available preliminary scenarios (One Western front, one Pacific and two Eastern).
After the three rounds we credited each player the average score attained by other members of his group in the scenario not played. Players were then ranked in each group by most wins followed by most medals won, fewer medals lost and finally most figures eliminated.

The Axis Group was very close with 3 players with identical results, 3 wins and 22 medals won but by virtue of 1 more medal lost, last year's champion (Greg) was pipped by Dean and Paul who both had the same medals lost. So, on the strength that Dean had eliminated 8 more enemy figures during his games he took top Axis spot and played Bill R who topped the Allied group.

Bill R came out of the final head-to-head with Dean to claim his third championship title in the 7 years I have been running the Memoir event. No mean feat and testimony to his stature as a very good Memoir player.

All in all it was a very enjoyable event, as always. Made even more so by the excellent new venue. The tournament room we had was in an excellent location, very spacious, excellent natural light from a view overlooking the lakes next to the hotel and with great ventilation. We shared the room with the FoG tourney so had a lot more traffic from interested parties for both tournaments as well as interested parties from the general Expo attendees. It all made for a fantastic day's gaming complimented as always by the players themselves. Great sportsmanship, enthusiasm and a healthy share of friendly banter as the cards 'flew' and dice fell

Hope you can make it next year.
Rgds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
United Kingdom
UXBRIDGE
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year's tournament was great fun. I've written it up from my point of view and this is available (as a PDF, .9 Mb) on my website: http://www.pevans.co.uk/Reviews/Memoir44Expo13.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up Paul.

Thanks for the compliments and hope we can do it all again, sometime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Ingram
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First details of the plans for this year's UK Games Expo...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/15074575#15074575

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.