Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Relic» Forums » General

Subject: "There is no greater agony than wanting a game to be that which it is not." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
The Cathedral is vast, as are you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Relic is a storytelling game.

Forget strategy, forget tactics, forget folding space with your mind and shaming your comrades with your star-bright intellect. This ain't that.

Here's how it actually works:

• Get snacks & drinks.

• Sit down with some funny friends you like & who like you back.

• Crank some badass heavy metal music.

• Whip out some Relic.

And enjoy the hell out of a long afternoon or evening spent regaling each other with tales of grand heroics and base ignominy, all about the times you:

Hacked and shot your way through an Ork phalanx only to find they were in cahoots with something far, far worse.

Strangled a Chaos cultist in his own bed while his children watched and wailed.

Lost your foot in a manner WE SHALL NOT SPEAK OF AGAIN.

Made sweet, sweet love to a sexy daemon because you figured no one would know, especially if you burned it when you were done.

Blew most of an ambassador out an airlock... accidentally on purpose.

Eviscerated and then Spartan-kicked some dude into a crevice on an ancient stone bridge spanning an infinite darkness, grabbed a loop of intestines and leaped over the edge as his pals tried to light you up, the hail of bullets chewing the railing to scrap as you swung down and around to pop up on the other side and shoot them all in the back (and then twisted your ankle and hit your head—knocking yourself unconscious—because you failed to "stick the landing" in a pool of blood).

This is Relic. This is what it does. This is what it's for.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "There is no agony worse than wanting a game to be that which it is not."
HiveGod wrote:

Lost your foot in a manner WE SHALL NOT SPEAK OF AGAIN.

Totally agree that it shouldn't be spoken of again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Modreski
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think Relic is a lot of fun. But...storytelling? It's a roll dice and laugh at other player's misfortune and have some mindless fun game.

I don't see any storytelling in there though.

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, is a storytelling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Depends on the friends. Mine are horrible and hilarious.

I suppose I should asterisk the "storytelling" part:

*Actual stories not included.

or

"BYOS"

But really, it's less about "Ha ha—you rolled a two," and more about what that two means—did you lose an eye? Spend a year in prison? Wake up in the local tyrant's Pleasure Palace? And then what? Everybody gets to pitch in and do some narrative heavy lifting...

Player A: [rolls a 2] Aw, looks like I missed.

Player B: Missed? The rocket went wide and took out an orphanage!

Player A: No it didn't!

Player C: Relax, it's 40k—you probably got a medal for it.

Player B: Yeah, and a title—The Orphanator.

Player A: No, no! I'm not The Orphanator!

Everyone but Player A: Yes you are.

Player D: Pass the damn dice, Orphanator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I need to get me one of those cool overtext things.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't know, HiveGod wrote the session report OF ALL TIME on the Talismangler:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/221861/they-call-him-the...

It's the story that convinced me to embrace the dark randomness inherit in Talisman and Relic!

Relic and/or Talisman may not make an entirely cohesive story, but they do create a series of amusing vignettes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

I think Relic is a lot of fun. But...storytelling? It's a roll dice and laugh at other player's misfortune and have some mindless fun game.

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, is a storytelling game.
The game is telling the story, not the player

You're basically along for the ride, wondering what sort of shenanigans the game will throw at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Smith
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hooray for someone gets it! I am sick of hearing from gamers who have forgotten games are what WE make of them and that good friends, heavy metal and story telling as done by players is what makes gaming awesome. If you want your game to do the work for you play a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when people "get" Talisman/Relic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this game have meaningful choices? because as a discerning gamer, I only play games ripe with meaningful choices. And by meaningful choices I mean choices full of meaning, if you know what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, have some bag for giving me the best laugh I've had in ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:

Thanks! I probably won't spend it on a Castles of Burgundy microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To all Talisman lovers:

Do you think all the added stuff in Relic interfere with the game? I love Talisman (new player, no nostalgia), I love 40k. But I'm worried about three types of encounter decks, power cards (literally adding quite a bit of choice during movement), and tracking item charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
To all Talisman lovers:

Do you think all the added stuff in Relic interfere with the game? I love Talisman (new player, no nostalgia), I love 40k. But I'm worried about three types of encounter decks, power cards (literally adding quite a bit of choice during movement), and tracking item charges.

Relic to me improves upon everything in Talisman.

The three different encounter decks give you an idea of what you could draw, but there are so many cards it still captures the surprise of wandering out in space or in the fields as in Talisman.

Tracking item charges is nothing, you get little cool-looking cardboard chits for that.

And the Power Cards are total bonuses for everything. "Ooo wow I got a great one, oh I could use it here, but if I wait...bwah ha ha, that would be awesome."

The only real thing missing is player vs player combat, but that will come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Player A: [rolls a 2] Aw, looks like I missed.

Player B: Missed? The rocket went wide and took out an orphanage!

Player A: No it didn't!

Player C: Relax, it's 40k—you probably got a medal for it.

That was frakking hilarious.

srcabeza wrote:
Does this game have meaningful choices? because as a discerning gamer, I only play games ripe with meaningful choices. And by meaningful choices I mean choices full of meaning, if you know what I mean.

This is not the thread you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Scrat wrote:

Thanks! I probably won't spend it on a Castles of Burgundy microbadge.

Badges!?! You don't need no stinking badges!!!

(Ahhhh, Blazing Saddles; proof positive that even God loves a good fart gag!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing against Relic, but I was hoping for something different. Did Lords of Waterdeep ruin the D&D theme...I don't think so. It's just a shame that we can't have something else in the 40K Universe to choose between. I would play it, but I'm not interested in buying and I can understand why some dislike - play 2 to 3 hours and BOOM a couple of bad die rolls or card draws and some won't want it to hit the table again.

I actually quite enjoy crossovers...Blending Relic with Dungeon Lords would hit the sweet spot for me personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:

srcabeza wrote:

This is not the thread you're looking for.

I don't think he means to be mean.
No, no.He said meaningful, if you know what he means by meaningful meaning full of things that have meaning to them.

But he also has Talisman at 10 if you know what I mean by meaning that he could be a future fan.Not just a fan who sits in place cooling people off, but a real fan who means to love to roll dice in space only to have them swallowed by a black hole.
A black hole is full of meaning since it sucks in all other meaningful things in the universe.It means business, and that's some serious meaning.

In other words, I mean, sarcasma meaningus is what he definitely meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
[q="StormKnight"]

Ah.... thanks for the good laugh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:

I don't think he means to be mean.
No, no.He said meaningful, if you know what he means by meaningful meaning full of things that have meaning to them.

I am glad you noticed that I didn't mean to be mean by any means. And about Talisman, I rated it a 10 because that game has the most perfectly squared board I have ever seen, and that is a big plus for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Point
Canada
flag msg tools
My favourite story from my games of Relic so far.

Calidus Assassin literally sold her soul for a webber gun. She drew 2 corruption cards to draw 7 influence, then in her next turn spent 5 of that influence on a webber gun. She carefully hoards the charges, not wanting to use it till she found something big to kill.

3 turns later, my Rogue Trader lands on her. "Cool gun bro! Gimme that, here's one influence!"

Assassin was left with 3 influence to show for 2 corruption cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote: I have nothing against Relic, but I was hoping for something different. Did Lords of Waterdeep ruin the D&D theme...I don't think so. It's just a shame that we can't have something else in the 40K Universe to choose between. I would play it, but I'm not interested in buying and I can understand why some dislike - play 2 to 3 hours and BOOM a couple of bad die rolls or card draws and some won't want it to hit the table again.

Erm... Horus Heresy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skypoint wrote:
My favourite story from my games of Relic so far.

Calidus Assassin literally sold her soul for a webber gun. She drew 2 corruption cards to draw 7 influence, then in her next turn spent 5 of that influence on a webber gun. She carefully hoards the charges, not wanting to use it till she found something big to kill.

3 turns later, my Rogue Trader lands on her. "Cool gun bro! Gimme that, here's one influence!"

Assassin was left with 3 influence to show for 2 corruption cards...

And they say there's no PvP interaction in Relic...shake

Great story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best read I had in months! Thanks for the genuine laugh you gave me dude, you should right a silly book

EDIT: And BTW this thread made me buy Relic...DAMN YOU AND YOUR FUNNY PHRASES!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve davis
msg tools
Best game our group had was the other night, someone landed on the tile that hasthree treat icons, one of each colour. When the three cards were drawn, one of them had three threat icons (one of each colour) and another had a single blue threat icon.

This was early on in the game so the person who landed there initially lost big time, and everyone after that stayed away as if the tile had the plague, except me. I was leve 6 and worked out that if I beat the huge army on the tile, I would level up 5 times.

I eventually got to the space, but I didn't realise that those cards with the threat icons had to be activated again, so what looked like a tough battle ended up being almost impossible!! One of the battles was against four cards totalling 21!! Anyway a couple of very lucky dice rolls later (gotta love the exploding dice rule) and I had gone from level 6 to 12(those four extra cards I didn't count on got me the extra levels) :-D

Best game ever!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shaggy2000 wrote:

I eventually got to the space, but I didn't realise that those cards with the threat icons had to be activated again...

I can't tell from the description how many cards were left on that space when you finally moved there, but (as I read the rules) the cards with the extra Threat Icons would NOT activate again if there were already enough cards of the appropriate type on the space.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.