Hide
12 Posts

Relic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Canoness Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daman whodaman
msg tools
When the Canoness lands on a threat place of lets say strength…

She has the ability of; " At the start of your Engagement phase, you may draw 1 card from any threat deck and place it on your space"

Does this mean? Instead of facing off with the 'strength' threat she can choose instead a 'cunning' threat card?

If wrong what is the interpretation to this ability?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw your cards based on the threat icons in the Exploration Phase, then deal with them in the Engagement Phase. Canoness thus then first draws the card(s) based on the icons, but before she starts resolving them in the Engagement Phase, she can draw one additional card from any deck. If she drew no enemies for example but is looking for a trophy/combat. Or is kicking ass of the current enemies and wants an even bigger score in terms of trophies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Thanks for the prompt response;sorry my English is bad so to correctly understand you...

She still resolves the current location BUTif she is required to pull a threat card, then she can also pull an extra one threat card from ANY deck of her choice?

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say she ends her movement in a Red-1 space. During her Exploration Phase, she draws 1 card from the Red Thread deck and places it in her space. Unless that card has Special Timing adding more Threat icons, her Exploration Phase is now over. Engagement Phase starts, she can now choose to use her ability, drawing 1 from either the Blue, Red or Yellow Threat deck and placing it in her space. Let's say she draws a Blue Threat card. If both the Blue and Red Threat cards are enemies (and assuming they have a different attribute), she now chooses which to battle first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
understood on that point and thank you.

Another question on some comment you made; "If both the Blue and Red Threat cards are enemies (and assuming they have a different attribute), she now chooses which to battle first."

Question on that:

1. If i picked up a card with att:2 red and att:2 blue.. are they combined in the dice roll? isn't one strength and the other willpower?
Does it need to be both att:2 red for it to be combined in battle? or can it be att:2 red and att:4 red which becomes combined.

Thank you for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if the draws result in Blue-2 and Red-2, she could choose to combat the Blue first, then the Red (assuming she defeated the Blue) or vice versa. They wouldn't combine their attributes unless they were both Red. If both were Red-2, then you'd fight them as if going up against a Red-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I need to get me one of those cool overtext things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our last game the Cannoness used this ability when she was a higher level to just rip through the threat decks and outpace us all. It's a good strategy to draw a different colored threat as the space so that she doesn't face a combined enemy, as noted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
we played by random choosing. I was lucky to pull her as she voids ALL corruptions in a sense they never activate..also her corruption level is 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my first play of Relic had the Canoness and UM Captain as two of the three characters, suffice it to say didn't get to see the Corruption mechanic in action, especially with the corruption-removing Inquisitor as the third member.

Addendum: Canoness can basically draw a Threat card every turn on the outer and middle tiers, regardless of where she lands. While she would draw no cards based on Threat icons in say the corner spaces, if she uses her ability to draw a card at the start of the Engagement Phase, she would encounter that card instead of the text box of the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Understood and thanks. Loving the game!! Have all of talisman series 4th edition.. like this much better in theme; some reason i feel they improved a bit on game mechanics. It will prove itself once they reveal its first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Question:

I know that if you have two willpower cards with an attribute of 2.. you fight them combined.

When playing i noticed that within the willpower deck you can have an enemy with att:2 and also within the same willpower deck an enemy with att:2 cunning... Do they fight as combined attributes or separately..

We play as separate..roll for will and then roll for the cunning fight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, each deck has some curveball enemies, Red deck has ones that will fight with Cunning or Willpower instead of Strength. Color of the card doesn't matter, only the attribute matters. Space Hulk space on the middle tier has Blue+Red+Yellow threat icons, but if you draw badly (or good, depending on your character), you could draw a Cunning enemy from all decks and they would combine. All Strength enemies combine, all Willpower combine and all Cunning combine (well, except for those that explicitly say they can't join others).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.