Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm reading Different Seasons on the nook and come across the top paragraph and my brain completely pretzels. I just know I'm not wrong so I go online to check things out and find the real paragraph.

Makes me wonder how many books out there get messed up making the switch to ebook. Or did someone put a 19 point in there just to F with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, 19 becomes an important number in The Dark Tower, and King has been known to fiddle with stuff before, so it's entirely possible he went back and changed it to mess with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. Now I gotta read The Dark Tower now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From stephenking.wikia.com

Quote:
19 is a mystical number that appears regularly throughout the works of Stephen King

I never knew that. Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s g
msg tools
As an avid King fan, cribbage player, and Mainer, I thought I was the only one to speculate about King's references to 19 and its connection to the game cribbage. I haven't yet read Different Seasons -- thank you for sharing this passage. I have long thought that Mr. King was a cribbage player, and this definitely supports the theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm. 19 is an impossible hand in cribbage (this might already be known by most of the contributors to this thread but as-yet-unstated in this thread, which may have gone over the head of some readers less versed in the game). The described hand is impossible - there exists no double run of four that would also have four fifteens and a jack.

The thirteen point hand is actually a possible hand (TJQQ5 with the suit of the jack in-hand matching the suit of the turn-up is one possible hand). 13 is also a popular number for King to play with - the short story 1408, for instance, is so numbered because the digits add up to 13 (and because the building in question has no numbered 13th floor and skips from 12 to 14, that room number is on the "actual" 13th floor.)

Sounds like the work of a crafty edit. Just unsure which way the edit went - did someone 'fix' the faulty hand to make it legal and another notable number, or did someone deliberately make the edit to make it an illegal hand that is tolerated by the players despite the fact that any seasoned crib player would have called attention to the attempt to score 19?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the impossible hand was from an ebook on the nook, and the correct hand was from the real book. The real book came out before the ebook.

Question is, why would someone edit the correct hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
Well the impossible hand was from an ebook on the nook, and the correct hand was from the real book. The real book came out before the ebook.

Were there possibly multiple editions of the book (Amazon lists 45 distinct physically-published editions)? Maybe the change occurred between editions of the published book and the ebook was 'branched' from before the edition that enacted the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't even think of that! I have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s g
msg tools
The nook version should still show the copyright page, and indicate what "printing" and edition. If someone knows the page # of the passage, I can check my 1st/1st physical book for reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.