Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in the first Louisville Regional tourney of the year at Blue Grass Magic Shop yesterday. It cost $20 to enter, which is the same as last year, but thanks to Steve Shore and his great promoting of the game in the Louisville area, we had 15 people show up to play Invasion! This beat out last year's number by about 5 players and is only 1 short of how many people come to play at GenCon itself. Sadly, one lady started feeling bad right before the tourney started, so we ended up with only 14 in the actual tournament, which would last 4 rounds and then come to a Top 8 playoff.

Round 1 - Travis (Empire)- Win 2-0
I was playing a Call of the Brayherd deck that I'd tweaked to perform as well as possible against the Hidden Grove empire decks. When I sat down I saw that Travis was playing Empire and so immediately began playing out my developments and attacking with my Swarm of Bats. However, though he did eventually play a Hidden Grove, he more importantly played Infiltrate, and started to seriously mill my deck. On the last turn, with only 2 cards left in my deck, I was able to get the win. Game 2 he completely controlled the game, using Helstorm Rocket Battery to move everything to my quest, which meant for many of my units being destroyed, since they are battlefield only. This really extended the game out, with both of us only drawing 1 or 2 cards the whole time and we were timed out. He had only attacked me once the whole game, so I won on the tie-breaker because I had burned one of his zones.

Round 2 - Steve (Dwarves) - Loss 1-2
I drew Steve, the main organizer of the tournament and Invasion evangelist in my second round. He was playing a Dwarven deck that used a lot of developments in the Quest zone and allowed for a burning of a zone to get several units out very cheaply and then bring those units back from the discard pile with Stand Your Ground. Game 1 was pretty close, with my Brayherd going off, but thanks to Master Rune of Valya, he was able to hold on for the win. Game 2 went extremely quickly, with both our decks playing very well, but I was just able to edge him out when he made a mistake on how many people to defend in the battlfield and get the win. Game 3 was yet another nail biter, in which I probably shouldn't have burnt a zone so early, which ramped up his dwarves. Normally, if I can burn a zone I do, but I'm thinking against Steve it would be better to have 2 zones with 6 or 7 damage on them and take him out in two turns, rather than burn a zone and try to take him out in two turns. He got the victory in that 3rd game.

Round 3 - Robert (Dark Elves) - Loss 1-2
Robert has only been playing Invasion for a week, but I guess he's been playing CCG style games for over a decade on a very regular basis, so he picked it up quickly. He had told Steve he liked control decks and so Steve suggested he build a Dark Elf deck. Robert's deck was one that concentrated on lowering the cost of units to destroy them. In the first game, he used Offering to Hekarti to completely wipe out all my little units. It was really touch and go, but I ended up barely losing that game. Game 2 saw my Brayherd come up, which surprised Robert as a new player, and that combined with 2 Sorcerers of Tzeetch to keep units of Hekarti got me the game, by a single point of damage. Game 3 lasted a very long time, with both of us trying to control as much as possible, but we timed out and Robert was ahead.

Round 4 - Sean (High Elves) - Win 2-0
Sean and I play all the time in Indianapolis, so there weren't any surprised happening in this game. We were both 1-2, so we were hoping we'd make the Top 8 with a victory. I was worried, playing against his Grim indirect damage deck, because in order to do better against the Empire I had removed Clan Moulder Elite from my deck, which is really nice for soaking up that damage. Game 1 he immediately played Judgement of Loec on me, stopping me from playing the Brayherd, so I decided to just rush him and not try to play the Brayherd. Getting some Bats and a Ghorgan out and winning rather quickly (this was my first not close game of the day - all other games were a single turn from winning or losing). Game 2 he had two Judgements of Loec on me early, really hampering me, and then got "Lilly" out and started doing some serious damage to me. He also had two Mages of Loec out, so I knew there would be no way to play the Brayherd. On the last turn, he got Grim to go off, combined with Lilly, and I was able to survive with a single 1 hit unit in the battlefield and both my remaining zones having 7 damage on them. I then attacked for 4 damage, he was able to defend and stop 3 but the final one went through and destroyed his last zone, which propelled me into the Top 8!

Quarter Finals - Patrick (Orcs) - Win 2-0
Patrick was playing with an Odd Orc deck and had gone 4-0 in the opening games and was the #1 seed coming in. In game 1 I got 2 Pink Horrors out and 1 Blue Horror in my Quest. Patrick attacked on his first turn with Night Goblin Fanatic and would've destroyed my two Pinks, but flipped a Troll Vomit, which allowed them to survive and get a Brayherd out on turn 2. The second game, was similar, with me losing a couple Ghorgans early due to poor luck and extending the game out, but in the last crucial play Patrick again flipped a Troll Vomit and I won the game.

Semi Finals - Robert (Dark Elves) - Win 2-1
These were not even close games. In the first game, I won on turn 4. In the second game, he completely controlled me, and about 10 minutes in with me only having a single development in play and nothing else, I conceded. Game 3 was the real key. I had both a Pink and Blue Horror in play after first turn. He played Servants of Khorne for his first turn, which I then sacrificed my Blue Horrors, allowing me to bring in another Blue Horrors, and thus use the Brayherd on turn 2.

Finals - Brian (Dwarves) - Win 2-1
Brian, who only plays Dwarves ever, had a Troll Slayer deck, along with Grudgebearer to add beef wherever he was needed. He had gone 3-1 in the Swiss portion of the tourney and then had defeated a Chaos Control deck and Steve's Dwarf deck to get to the finals. Game 1 saw him get a New Trade Route, Dwarf Cannon Crew on it, and a Mining Tunnels out on the first turn. I made it close, but couldn't win it. However, because he didn't have any real unit removal and also was lacking in his My Life for the Hold cards, both games 2 and 3 went my way as I just rushed him with the hordes of Chaos!

Closing Thoughts
A big thanks to Steve (who doesn't even work for the store) and Blue Grass Magic Shop for the work they put in to the tournament. I was really surprised to get this victory after starting 1-2 in the tournament. I was also surprised there weren't more High Elf decks out there. It is also interesting to see the difference between the Indianapolis meta (we brought 5 people down) and the Louisville meta. In Louisville it seems everyone plays Long Winter in every deck, where in Indy we're all about unit removal and could care less about developments most of the time. We were discussing and it feels like as evident by not having a single dominating deck, that the game is really balanced right now between factions.

Deck Break Down:
High Elf - 1
Empire - 3
Dwarves - 2
Chaos - 3
Orcs - 4
Dark Elf - 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report - thanks for posting! I have a question, though. In round 1 vs an Empire deck, you stated that he moved a bunch of your Battlefield Only units into your Quest zone effectively killing them. I haven't played in official tournaments so I might be misunderstanding this, but I thought that the "X zone only" wording is a restriction that only deals with units entering play. Have I been misunderstanding this all along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
terrakhan wrote:
Great report - thanks for posting! I have a question, though. In round 1 vs an Empire deck, you stated that he moved a bunch of your Battlefield Only units into your Quest zone effectively killing them. I haven't played in official tournaments so I might be misunderstanding this, but I thought that the "X zone only" wording is a restriction that only deals with units entering play. Have I been misunderstanding this all along?

It was our thought that if a "Battlfield Only" unit moved to another zone, then it is discarded, because it no longer meets the requirements. Similar to if two heroes end up in the same zone. This was the ruling after some discussion at the tourney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mutineer_pl wrote:
You had it right, they got it wrong and Adam, how did you sacrafise this blue horror in semi finals? I mean the sacrafise whas eefect of what card and why did you do it?

He played Servants of Khorne which forced me to get rid of a unit, so I chose Blue Horrors, which let me bring in a Blue Horrors from my hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is right! Sheesh - I see the Servants of Khorne too much in my deck apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shore
United States
Georgetown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't remember that coming up as a question. Did you guys ask or just decide that? I hate you got a loss due to a messed up rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Daugherty
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Adam, one of Steve's fellow Card Board Gamers here. I was also a bit taken aback when I saw what you said about discarding your units when Travis moved them to the Quest zone and they were Battlefield only. Found it in the rulebook:

page 16: "Kingdom/Quest/Battlefield Only
Some cards have keyword restrictions that dictate the
zone into which the card can be played (or put into
play). When these cards enter play, they can only do
so in one of the specified zones. Note that this key-
word only restricts the card when it enters play, it can
then be moved (through card effects) to another zone."

Searched the FAQ for "only" and didn't see any change from this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shore
United States
Georgetown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
With no official judge system for LCGs, rules questions are often answered by group consensus and can sometimes result in a slip up.

Most of us were there to have a good time and not go for the jugular. We had a FAQ printed and was referenced many times, but many rules questions were resolved by asking the guy next to you to keep the game moving.

Several things like this came up last year as well and I still joke with Sean about how bad I cheated him without even knowing it. All we can do is learn from the mistakes and call for the FAQ if you feel strongly the collective decision is incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Daugherty
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, Steve. I get rules wrong all the time. Heck, I've played Arkham Horror more than just about any other game and I still find things here and there I didn't know! I just wanted to make sure it was pointed out the rulebook covered it just in case someone searches the forums (like I often do) for rule clarifications.

Fun first, rules later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Schneider
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not the type of person to get mad at losing games. I use them as learning experiences all the time. But losing to non-game play related reasons is very frustrating. Adam is obviously a very good player, and I don't think I'm doing too bad for not having played the game so long. But, that has lead me to disbelieve in my own understandings of the rules.

But wow, I really do have to wonder how different my day would have went if we played by that rule right AND I knew how the Time-Out rulings worked. Mine and Adam's games were really close and were very well played. In that first game, he was only a turn a way from losing (which could have been different if his Units weren't destroyed, especially that four powered demon). And the second game, the ONLY reason I lost was because of the Time-Out, which I had no idea how that worked since it wasn't mentioned before the tournament. Even Adam knew the game had been locked down and he couldn't really get an attack through. I would have played a little quicker had I known the Time-Out rule before hand. In fact, that ruling seems extremely unfair to Mill based decks, or even control decks, since damage isn't a priority. He literally only had 3-4 cards left in his deck, which would have all disappeared in a turn.

I know had I won even one of those games, I would have played different people the rest of the day due to the points. But, if I would have lost the rest of them, I would been fine knowing they had superior decks or played much better than me. In fact, I would have learned a lot about the game if that happened and would have been better for it.

I really have started to feel that Empire Mill deck of mine isn't that great, but if I was actually able to hold off that Call of the Brayherd deck like I did, it must not be entirely terrible. Yeah, I lost terribly to that High Elf Indirect damage deck, which I've never played against (and honestly makes me want to play Rodrick's Raiders over Wilhem since his effect shuts down even more stuff and he's cheaper). That was a big learning experience there. But I really still don't know if the deck is worth messing around with any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
King of Odonata wrote:
I really have started to feel that Empire Mill deck of mine isn't that great, but if I was actually able to hold off that Call of the Brayherd deck like I did, it must not be entirely terrible. Yeah, I lost terribly to that High Elf Indirect damage deck, which I've never played against (and honestly makes me want to play Rodrick's Raiders over Wilhem since his effect shuts down even more stuff and he's cheaper). That was a big learning experience there. But I really still don't know if the deck is worth messing around with any more.

Even without knowing the deck, my advice would be to keep messing around. The infiltration/Helstorm combo can be a very powerful milling machine, and the on-the-fly ruling about units with Battlefield only very probably made it appear weaker than it really is. Wilhelm is another boost to that strategy, whereas Rodrik's Raiders provide you with a very flexible answer to support-dependent opponents.

Aside from deck specifics, the biggest point in favor of further try runs with the deck is that Invasion favors playing skill over deck-building, and if you made the eventual winner of a tournament with 16 participants sweat with the little experience you had, your deck will get noticeably better with more plays even without exchanging a single card. This might be a curious point to emphasize for someone with as dismal a tournament record as mine, but I'm still pretty convinced it's an important one.

So keep on playing this deck or others, and once you think you're really good at it, do an early afternoon session on OCTGN, play anybody from Poland to find further space for improvement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It was weird, because I timed out twice on Saturday and I've neve done that before in tournaments of Invasion. Netrunner sure, but Invasion never time out even once. Travis I think your deck was a big surprise though, at least it was for me, and I wouldn't give up on it. Though for tournament play, it will be important not to time out. Sorry we got that rule wrong, I guess next time instead of taking the easy way out and asking we should look it up. At least I could've still sacrificed units to the Prince so he wouldn't make me draw cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Flood
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great time guys! I had fun with my Empire deck, and did quite well except against the Orcs (my only loss pre-semi finals). Steve's Dwarves with their developments and Long Winter were too tough a nut to crack for my forces so I was sadly out the first game. Emily had a lot of fun too despite the tough first time learning curve. I'm going to have to think awhile on how to defeat that Orc quest (Snodling Invasion) and the defense of the Dwarves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shore
United States
Georgetown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Playing against your Verena deck has got me wanting to play with that card again! I was thinking about it all the way home from work today!

Had a great time with all you guys too! Can't wait until you guys are able to come down again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting the results and this write-up. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.