Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to play this for the first time today....

If you place a building on top of another building, do you score prestige points for both buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
Yes, as long as the buildings are the same color. If you place a building atop one of a different color, the "lower" building gets discarded.
With the caveat that you cannot score Level 3-buildings unless you can see them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! I went back and reread the rules and that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
louper wrote:
Yes, as long as the buildings are the same color. If you place a building atop one of a different color, the "lower" building gets discarded.
With the caveat that you cannot score Level 3-buildings unless you can see them...

It would be a lot easier to describe things clearly here if the terms "building" and "prestige building" weren't so close.

Going back to the original question: "If you place a building on top of another building, do you score prestige points for both buildings?"

The answer (correctly given above) is the following:
Quote:
You can score prestige points for a building that's under another building (or prestige building), but you can't score prestige points for a prestige building that's under a building (or a prestige building).

You can see why people have trouble with this - not just sharing the word "building" but also "prestige."

It would be nicer if they changed the term to something like "monument." Then we could say this instead:
Quote:
You can score prestige points for a building that's under another card (character, building, or monument), but you can't score prestige points for a monument that's under another card.

It says the same thing, but maybe it's less likely to make people's heads hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Building and Prestige Building each have a different icon to differentiate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert
msg tools
Seems correct but surprisingly I can't see anywhere in the manual which says u score when u place a card, only at endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
firexed wrote:
Seems correct but surprisingly I can't see anywhere in the manual which says u score when u place a card, only at endgame.

Cards don't score at placement, true. The above discussion does not imply that this is otherwise meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert
msg tools
They score when I place them on BGA..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
Ah, I see. I don't play on BGA, hence wouldn't know. Well, you can keep a running score, of course, but in the physical implementation the scoring track is on the other side of the meeple placeholder strip, and so scoring is postponed until the end. Score on BGA ought to go up or down, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert
msg tools
Oops, only just realized the current score on BGA takes into account final scoring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.