Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the Bridge in a game tonight with three first-time players. The one player swore up and down the card was way too overpowered and was the reason I won. I could not convince him otherwise. Can someone help me build a case here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
I used the Bridge in a game tonight with three first-time players. The one player swore up and down the card was way too overpowered and was the reason I won. I could not convince him otherwise. Can someone help me build a case here?

First, my best advice would be to encourage this person to play GtR at least a few more times before passing judgement on specific cards. Deciding a card is over-powered because you saw someone win with it once is, well, jumping to conclusions.

Second, it is not necessarily that any one card is over-powered in and of itself; it is the combinations that can be very strong. Bridge in particular helps a legionary-based strategy, but if you seen an opponent start down this path there are things you can do defensively.

Third, and finally, a card or combination of cards can lose a lot of its potency when the other players at the table realize what it can do. It is most lethal when it is ignored or not understood--which is is (understandably) the trap most new players fall into. Just like in Puerto Rico, you force the major goods shipper to Craftsman. Well, if one of the players at the GtR table has a ridiculous Craftsman or Legionary bonus, be sure those roles don't get called any more than necessary. Or if you see someone building Forum, the other players should probably identify whether they are doing enough to control the pool. Or if someone builds Bridge, it may not be a bad idea to get a Legionary or two in your clientele if you haven't already.

Those are the thoughts that come to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
also agreeing with looleypalooley, Bridge is acknowledged as one of those cards that's very powerful for its cost. But such is the way the game is though. There are many combinations to watch out for, and some cards single-handedly are also strong.

If you want a milder version of the game, I guess try Uchronia [shrug]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:

First, my best advice would be to encourage this person to play GtR at least a few more times before passing judgement on specific cards. Deciding a card is over-powered because you saw someone win with it once is, well, jumping to conclusions.

Heh, that's what I said. He liked it, though, so we'll play it again. Maybe I'll win without the bridge next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many cards are overpowered, and many combos are broken. Glory to Rome is a race to see who can break the game first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridge is strong, sure. But if you don't have any reason for hoarding all those materials in your stockpile, you aren't going to win with it. You need some fairly efficient way to use those materials. Nobody else is going to lead Legionary, and if you can't follow the Archetects or Merchants, you've got a lot of materials for nothing. I find that with an early bridge, and a full stockpile, there isn't much reason to fill it again and again, since I'll never be able to use it before the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some extended back and forth:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/815537/i-seriously-hate-brid...

I ended up going with the "crazy" option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:

Ask your group, "How would this game be so popular if you could break it by simply building one card/structure?" That would not make sense, would it?

The fun for your group will be...learning how to counter an early bridge (or the next card your group will be claiming as "broken", the dreaded Coliseum ).

I recommend playing the republic/M.I.T. rules for your beginner's group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nielsen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
bobcatpoet wrote:

Two things:

1) Everything is overpowered in the game. It's about building your own combinatorial bomb and setting it off before your opponents do. In games that seemed like total blowouts, usually the opponents were right on the cusp of launching their own utterly devastating plays.

2) Having cards taken from your hand is not that bad. You can restock from zero as easily as drawing one card. Controlling the communal resources is much more important than the contents of your hand.

New players, especially those coming from RftG, can end up too focused on their hand and their own buildings and just maximizing their score from what's in front of them. That doesn't work in GtR. The game is designed so you can accomplish more during other players' turns that you can during your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.