Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Help [+] BGG [+] faq [+] [View All]
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are actual questions new users have asked. It's not all of them (but definitely a majority), and you can see which ones are more frequent than others.

New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
There doesn't seem to "B" A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G-! upon: "WHAOM the *blazing hell* is that GORGands?"
shake ALSO s`plains sum about "Geek Auctions" plenty even!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
as a new user, I appreciate this, thanks x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
you are being watched
badge
I am EVIL, do not try to change my alignment
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of newusers in the submission queues

to get them started, these are some the links I send them

Tricks of the Geek

New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How? .. posted above

More Tricks of the Geek

Wiki Formatting

Forum Formatting

Geek Developers' Blog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Was there something about HOW "Geek Auctions" listed within such are separate FROM "Marketplace", "Geek LIST", for WHAT that shall obtain in regards to actual $$$ or bag etc.? "and then?..." further delineating WHERE those belonged rightly upon wherever... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused as to how this came to be pinned as the unofficial FAQ. My original post was created 3 years ago and was pinned under its own name sometime thereafter. Now this post says it was posted by arnest_r 3 years before I created it. I think either something fishy is going on or perhaps this is an artifact of testing going on with the beta site...???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ice frost
Philippines
Cebu
Cebu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does it matter... or it really matters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
stargate wrote:
I see a lot of newusers in the submission queues

to get them started, these are some the links I send them

Tricks of the Geek

New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How? .. posted above

More Tricks of the Geek

Wiki Formatting

Forum Formatting

Geek Developers' Blog

All bookmarked as essential reading, thank you kindly.

Is there soome sort of rule/etiquette/this is our prevailing culture guide? Not just talking obvious things like no abuse etc, as that's a given. But something about how heavily rules are enforced, generally accepted/looked down on posting styles and thread types as every forum is totally different in this regard, even among forums based on identical interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk: // Monk's Music // Alone in San Francisco // Underground // Plays Duke Ellington // Brilliant Corners // Thelonious Monk-Sonny Rollins
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
Is there soome sort of rule/etiquette/this is our prevailing culture guide? Not just talking obvious things like no abuse etc, as that's a given. But something about how heavily rules are enforced, generally accepted/looked down on posting styles and thread types as every forum is totally different in this regard, even among forums based on identical interests.

If I were you, I'd assume that all rules will be enforced. If not, they shouldn't be rules. As for cultural memes, the only one I can think of offhand is that there is no rule against thumbing one's own posts, but many here (including myself) look down upon it as tacky. I think the social graces that serve in the real world are a good guide to how you should operate here. It's a community, and if you contribute and show a sense of humor you'll get along fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
If I were you, I'd assume that all rules will be enforced. If not, they shouldn't be rules. As for cultural memes, the only one I can think of offhand is that there is no rule against thumbing one's own posts, but many here (including myself) look down upon it as tacky. I think the social graces that serve in the real world are a good guide to how you should operate here. It's a community, and if you contribute and show a sense of humor you'll get along fine.

Thanks, that's what I personally aim for too but I thought I should check as I also frequent another thread which, as much as I love it, often plays fast and loose in how mods seem to observe basic etiquette rules even when it comes to coming down on bullying and gives people a free pass from the banhammer just for virtue of having been hanging around forever. Personally that irritates me no end especially when I'm on the receiving end of the bullying, but in other ways that level of freedom when it comes to expression, off-subject threads outside the core hobby into complete long-lasting threads based around such divisive topics such as politics is why I also didn't quit it years ago.

Another forum I frequent is completely the opposite, being so strict that even breaching the most pedantic and open-to-interpretation rule can see you perma-banned before you even know what you've done wrong or given a chance to explain.

So I've sort of got into the habit of lurking a bit on any new go-to forum and being upfront about asking about that sort of stuff almost immediately after I pluck up the courage to post a comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
As in any new site or forum, it's a good idea to read for a while to get the feel of the existing group of posters. RSP (the Religion, Sex, and Politics forum) is pretty much a free fire zone, while most of the rest of BGG is pretty polite and calm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Piacentini
msg tools
Hi.

Can someone explain me, how I can post something WITHOUT using the Reply-function?

TY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fishfactory wrote:
Hi.

Can someone explain me, how I can post something WITHOUT using the Reply-function?

TY

I assume that you mean that you want to start a different and new thread. Use the "New Thread" button in the header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Piacentini
msg tools
No. I really mean that I want to make a simple post within an existent thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fishfactory wrote:
No. I really mean that I want to make a simple post within an existent thread!

BGG doesn't support keyboard shortcuts so the only way to post within a thread is to mouse click on one of the four options:
* QuickReply
* QuickQuote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
And unlike some sites no matter who you 'reply' to your post just ends up at the bottom of the thread.

No one knows who you replied to and it makes no difference to the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.