Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time a week ago and after building the Temple it demanded all other players give me 4 bucks or 4 prestige for every residential building they controlled, I rocketed so far ahead it wasn't even fair and for the last half of the game the other players just fought for 2nd place.

Did we play that right and if so how can that be countered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about Urban Sprawl is that you have to play well all the time. There are many cards that can unbalance the game if people aren't aware of how the game works. The other players should have had later opportunities to catch up, but without being there I can't make any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
I played this for the first time a week ago and after building the Temple it demanded all other players give me 4 bucks or 4 prestige for every residential building they controlled, I rocketed so far ahead it wasn't even fair and for the last half of the game the other players just fought for 2nd place.

Did we play that right and if so how can that be countered?

This is one of those "I know the temple is in the deck, so I'd better be prepared for it and hold some money for each of my residential buildings in case it comes out." You almost always want some money late in the game in order to account for the possibility of a "Give cash or prestige to the guy who built this" building. As I recall, the temple isn't the only one.

Of course, this applies only to the guys who are holding heavy shares of a particular building type. If you've only got two residential buildings, the temple isn't as dangerous as if you have 5 of them.

Also, keep in mind that you pay for each building individually, not as a lump sum. So if you have 18 bucks and 5 residential buildings, you can give the temple founder 16 bucks (accounting for 4 of your 5 buildings) and 4 prestige for the final building. You almost always want to give cash instead of prestige unless holding the cash will clearly give you a bigger advantage over the field/person building the temple. Remember also that it's not just four points...it's actually an eight point swing to the temple founder...you lose 4 and he gains it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein M. Gaasholt
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The temple actually came out immediately after opening the metropolis deck in our 3 player game last night.

We don't play US that often so it caught us by surprise and the building player netted I think 24 prestige and 16 cash while the other two lost 16p and 8p+16$. The temple builder rocketed ahead and at one point I was close to being lapped at around 25 prestige vs the temple builders 110 and we all thought the game was over.

I considered playing for second place but decided to keep going after the leader and playing like I had a chance. To our surprise, in the end the temple builder actually finished last, around 50 points behind me who just managed to squeeze past the other player.

My impression is that there are many opportunities for "power plays" and upsets in the metro deck that can allow a player to cash in on a good board position. And that playing for second place is always a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Just last night we played this and the temple netted one person a 40 point lead after being in last place the whole game. Considering not using that card or else reducing the point/cash value per building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:
Just last night we played this and the temple netted one person a 40 point lead after being in last place the whole game.

None of the homeowners were in the habit of holding onto any cash at the end of their turns, eh?

Quote:
Considering not using that card ....

An excellent idea for (almost) any card you're uncomfortable with -- just keep it in the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.