Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a big fan of Card city and am very tempted to get this. However, I will only be playing solo.

Can anyone advise if this is worth getting to play solo ?

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's better for solo play than Card City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely!

Check out some of the older posts here - there was, at one point, a competition held on who would get the most points in one of three different categories.

It is highly addictive in solo mode (even if it takes only 5-10 minutes). More so, if you know someone beat you, and you are trying to match their score without reading up on how they got there!

Take it from me - the game cost me valuable time during my final thesis paper, and still I couldn't put it down!

There is, however, one drawback.
Once you figured out the perfect solution in solo play, the game is done. It is a puzzle, and once you have the solution, you admire it, but it is less fun recreating it afterwards.

This is a bit different in more-player mode, as you might not get what you want or need, and have to build around that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So is there no randomness in solo play in terms of which pieces you get etc ? Does that mean there is no real replayability in solo play ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with official rule there is randomness ofc. but most solitaire play is like a puzzle, after a while you might get tempted to try "what if i do this then this", wondering how much score will you get thing with the so-called perfect play

but town center has no hidden information so you can actually play multiplayer game solo. this way you have more replayability than 1P game. i've done 4P game by myself before, quite brain burning and takes more time but its worth the try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
richdodgin wrote:
So is there no randomness in solo play in terms of which pieces you get etc ? Does that mean there is no real replayability in solo play ?

Playing by the rules, you still have the randomness of the draw, which provides the suspense and excitement. Hmm, do I gamble that I'll get that black cube I'll need in the next draw, or do I spend $20 on it now, to be sure? Town Center is an excellent solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks folks. Think I'm going to have to back this one !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
richdodgin wrote:

I'm a big fan of Card city and am very tempted to get this. However, I will only be playing solo.

Can anyone advise if this is worth getting to play solo ?

Thanks !

What about testing the game on your computer here ?

http://www.boiteajeux.net/jeux/tow/partie.php

PLease notice that the graphics are official and shows the official stickers designed by Sampo Sikio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've just backed it cool

I love Card City so I have to get this too laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks Rich,
Town Center is the father of Card City, you will love it for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.