Subject: New Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the 2 new expansions increase the player interaction in the game? The comments I've read about the base game suggests that it plays more like a multi-player solitaire, apart from the drafting of cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Avatar source: Revolt in the East
mbmbmbmbmb
The choices you make during the drafting to force others to pick as you'd prefer is mostly dependent on looking at and predicting what they want. That is more interaction than you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, but I'd prefer to have an even greater degree of player interaction in this supposedly abstract puzzle game. I'm accustomed to a significantly higher degree of player interaction in my Euros (eg. Le Havre, Alien Frontiers, Carson City), abstracts (eg. YINSH, Hive, Hey, That's My Fish!) and puzzles (eg. Rumis, Ice Flow). Hence, it'll convince me to back Town Centre with the expansions on Indiegogo if they do encourage greater interaction among players. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts, nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarkboy wrote:
Fair enough, but I'd prefer to have an even greater degree of player interaction in this supposedly abstract puzzle game. I'm accustomed to a significantly higher degree of player interaction in my Euros (eg. Le Havre, Alien Frontiers, Carson City), abstracts (eg. YINSH, Hive, Hey, That's My Fish!) and puzzles (eg. Rumis, Ice Flow). Hence, it'll convince me to back Town Centre with the expansions on Indiegogo if they do encourage greater interaction among players. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts, nonetheless. :)

Town Centre is not any of those games, nor will it become them.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
cmarkboy wrote:
Fair enough, but I'd prefer to have an even greater degree of player interaction in this supposedly abstract puzzle game. I'm accustomed to a significantly higher degree of player interaction in my Euros (eg. Le Havre, Alien Frontiers, Carson City), abstracts (eg. YINSH, Hive, Hey, That's My Fish!) and puzzles (eg. Rumis, Ice Flow). Hence, it'll convince me to back Town Centre with the expansions on Indiegogo if they do encourage greater interaction among players. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts, nonetheless.

Town Centre is not any of those games, nor will it become them.

B>

I agree, Bruce, particularly with your first statement. I'm not under the illusion that Town Centre is like any of the games I've listed. Those examples were provided merely as a point of reference to the degree of player interaction I'd prefer in my games, over and above that afforded by the draft mechanism in Town Centre' base game.

In my opinion (which is subjective, of course), 7 Wonders is another game with a draft mechanism at the start, which comprises one other form of player interaction, ie. the build up of military might. Granted that the draft mechanism there is different than in Town Centre's 'I divide, you pick' system.

Regardless, I'd be happy if the author of Town Centre has incorporated 1 or 2 more elements of player interaction in the planned expansions. From the information I've gathered so far, it may not seem to be the case. Until the detailed rules are released for them, I can still hope. As it stands right now, I'd be less inclined to purchase the base game. To each his own as always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
That is hard to say if the expansions add interaction since I am the designer and I can not convince any players with obectivity.
What I can say is that with the third edition :

- the acquisition phase may be played into two different ways now : the normal version and with the bidding way.

- two new variants will be added in the Normal version which add subtil interaction :
- instead of Scoring the most victory points, at the beginning of the game the players can choose to be th wealthiest player at the end of the game, before concerting the money into VP.
- instead of Scoring the most victory points, at the beginning of the game, the players with the biggest Town (occupy all the spots even those in the suburbs) . In case of the tie, the winner is the player with the most victory points

- the expansions add two new colors, one for the citizens, and another one for the mountains. But the citizens are stayning in the player's Town center and do not Gravel in opponents Town center like in Small city, the third game of the trilogy . The Brown mountains add a 3D player board during the setting phase and variants.

- two new boards add variety to the game, but no more interaction

We are working on a third expansion with citizens who might travel in opponents Town center to make sensé with the last game of the trilogy.
Actually it works pretty well, but I won't be ready for this year

Anyway, to produce these expansions and Small city, we absolutely need your support for ToWn Center... 46% in 12 days that's very good, but not enought !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Alban.

Thanks very much for the fairly detailed overview of the various new elements that the 2 expansions will introduce to Town Centre. I've never played any of the games in this trilogy, but I was actually thinking of something similar: using the citizens in your town to accomplish secret tasks in another town in order to score victory points or gain in-game benefits. This may add a layer of tension and suspense as players wonder what sort of secret mission cards other players have drawn; will they help their opponents out unwittingly by building that new office, shop or apartment in their own town? I'm not certain if my idea is even feasible, but I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Will you consider offering a special price for the future third expansion to your Indiegogo backers? I think that might sweeten the deal for them further and it can serve as a nice 'Thank You' gesture as well for their backing the game currently.

Regards,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
As I explained the third expansion is not ready. I can not promisse things which are not seriously designed.

More over, as you probably know, if you sell 1000 copies of a game, you will only sell around one third of the first expansions of your game ---> 300
Ând the players are less and less interested by expansions

I am talking about a game with a Small print run, not about Dominion or other games from which you can expect several expansions printed each ten times more. That would say for the manufacter a better price

Actually the expansions cost around 6€ if you back the project. The MSRP will be 12€. That's a big thank you -
-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your perspective Alban. Thanks for responding to my enquiries. I wish you all the best with the Indiegogo campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
I fear that we won't reach the 10 000€
That would show that the place for unknown Author but good games and small publishers are very small in the system

But it does not matter, I like reading feedbacks of players all around the world of my games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nabla wrote:
I fear that we won't reach the 10 000€

Make some noise may help... whistle

http://www.unknowns.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=5743

http://www.spielbox.de/phorum4/read.php4?f=1&i=276003&t=2760...&
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks Ingo for your help and your noise in Germany...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
I posted the rules of the second expansion
http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net/medias/805872/files/201...

And submitted them here on the BGG

You will like the 3D boards concept and the variety of Paris map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.