Subject: Stark raving - Thorn in the Paw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first replay of a Brotherhood scenario. The scenario is small, plays fast (few units, just 3 command tokens/cards), with the very simple victory conditions (get at least 2 out of 3 control markers).

In our first session, I dealt Lannister a crushing defeat. We both expected that it would be much closer this time, as we had a few more games with Brotherhood units under our belts.

Here we go:

Lannister has Momentum. He advances some of his central force, but stays in stalwart formation. So he gives me the opportunity to put my units onto two control markers, and I do so.

Our archers trade so shots, Addams cavalry moves to the third control marker, and I manage to eliminate one heavy infantry using the Greatjon's dogs and one unit of Knights.

Round 2

Addam's units attack (the usual combined flaking attacks that Addam tends to do) my archers next to Beric, hoping to pursue toward the knights. He does that, and brings one unit to reduced strength. At this point, Lannister considered to use Addam's commit ability to add one morale result, so he would not have been flanked, but as I had two units to attack with anyway, he decided to reserve it fur future use.

My turn was a bit more effective: Beric's flanking attack captured Addam, and on pursue, he ran down one of the blue cavalry, and then scored another hit. The flanking attack from my other weakened Knight eliminated that unit, and I pursued onto the ford and scored another two hits on the green cavalry:

At this point I felt that I could get the control marker beyond the ford any time I wanted, and I should go for a decisive victory and attack in the center.

Lannister still did not want to give up his formation and only used his archers to pick off a green cavalry figure.

I attacked in full force, first with Beric, then with the Greatjon and my Winterfell Riders. That left the control marker in the building unprotected, but at this point, that did not seem dangerous. Without any losses on my side, I eliminated one archer unit, and forced Kevan to use his commit ability, weakening the other.

Round 3

I don't recall what Lannister did, but of course this did not matter anymore. I quickly mopped up his remaining units, including Kevan. When the last green cavalry fell, he was simultaneously routed. To my regret, because this immediately ends the session, which cost me some "style" points because I did not get the third control marker. The final board image is beautiful (from a Stark perspective), but boring, so I'll skip that.

I'll post my strategy thoughts in a reply later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the two sessions we played so far, this scenario might look to be Lannister's "Before the Kneeling Man".

I think howewer that he could have put up a better fight by being more aggressive. There's a reason that Lannister has Momentum in this scenario: it gives him the chance to put his heavy infantry onto the control markers right in the first turn. If he commits his cavalry to protect the marker beyond the river, one marker in the center is enough to win.

Of course, there's always Beric and his Knights with superior mobility and extremely flexible activations, but even they will need some luck (or time and Brotherhood tokens) to get the heavy infantry out of the building. Or Lannister could ignore the building, and concentrate on the other marker. Either way, Stark has to choose whether to use Beric plus Knights for an attempt on the marker beyond the river (protected by cavalry in stalwart formation, and bottlenecked by the fords), or use them to get both of the other markers. Not committing them fully might be risky - "almost" getting a marker will not get you the win.

In retrospect, in this last session it almost felt as if Lannister did nothing at all. About the only real action was attacking Beric's units. His idea was probably to at least eliminate Beric's support units (Beric himself is hard because of capture 3), and then attack the building from the other direction. With a bit more luck that might have worked, but if it doesn't, like this time, it leaves the marker beyond the river unprotected, making it even easier for Stark to win.

I have to admit though that coming up against the Knights seems really tough. It's the activations that make most of the difference. Even if you have a Reactivate All or morale tokens for other units, reactivating always takes up a full turn, while the same Brotherhood unit can act on every turn, as long as I'm willing to spend tokens.

BTW, I also updated our session statistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.