$24.00
$25.00
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
The fiddly thing in 6-card is that you can't score 4 for a flush in the crib, only 5 if the flush matches the starter too. I'm not sure how that compares in 5-card though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TKR
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
qwertymartin wrote:
The fiddly thing in 6-card is that you can't score 4 for a flush in the crib, only 5 if the flush matches the starter too. I'm not sure how that compares in 5-card though.

Okay, I can see that as a bit of an oddity. Although according to pagat, five-card cribbage handles a flush in the crib the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are like songs: you never get tired of playing the best ones over and over, and you can enjoy them all by yourself.
badge
“Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.” (Vince Lombardi)
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
I'm curious -- how are the flush rules for six-card cribbage more complex than the rules for five-card crib?

Oops. I guess they're not. I had thought that since each player held only 3 cards after discarding, the starter card was needed to bring it up to a possible 4-flush, matching what would be possible in the crib. But upon rereading the rules, it doesn't work that way. It's a screwy rule even in the 5-card version.

Well, there's something about the 5-card version that makes a little more sense ... but I can't remember what it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TKR
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:
I'm curious -- how are the flush rules for six-card cribbage more complex than the rules for five-card crib?

Oops. I guess they're not. I had thought that since each player held only 3 cards after discarding, the starter card was needed to bring it up to a possible 4-flush, matching what would be possible in the crib. But upon rereading the rules, it doesn't work that way. It's a screwy rule even in the 5-card version.

Well, there's something about the 5-card version that makes a little more sense ... but I can't remember what it is now.

No worries. There are enough little quirks to the game no matter how you slice it, which is part of why I love it so much.

That said, I did go back and read some of the other threads that mention differences with 5-card and some of them did make a bit of sense (but also change the strategy involved): only playing a hand to 31 once, as well as the 3-points for not getting first deal. Having never played 5-card, though, I have no idea just how much it changes the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for the Big Lebowski reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
thumbsup for the Big Lebowski reference.

Thanks Bryan, I was wondering if anyone noticed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will B.
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review. I learned Cribbage as a teenager from grumpy old men at a Sunday family dinner. I fell in love with it almost immediately. It is most definitely the game I have played the most in life and it is also the only one I am always up to playing. I have recently had the privilege of teaching my son to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
w m
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother-in-law taught me how to play Cribbage the day after Christmas (2013). We played for 12 hours straight and had an absolute blast (and 3 more hours the day after that). I can't wait to play again and/or teach someone else. Definitely my favorite card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learned from the old man, and we still play for 'penny a point, buck a skunk' whenever the folks are in town. But now I can enjoy the game with this hand-made (by Santa) Secret Santa gift from 2012:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I learned this a couple years ago. We didn't have much money and I wanted to learn some new games to play with the cards we had around the house. I stumbled on to Cribbage and, after struggling through the learning process, we fell in love with this briliant, fun, beautiful game.

It's our most played game to this day, and I suspect it always will be.

I too feel like I'm cheating on her when I play with someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
SWEEP THE GODDAMN LEG
mbmbmbmbmb
After decades of wondering at this thing, I had the pleasure of learning it from an octogenarian Navy vet—the experience was almost entirely disjointed and random, with stuff suddenly happening for no reason I could fathom, along with jargon that wasn't attached to anything I could discern.

It was like being inducted into a secret society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
It was like being inducted into a secret society.

Welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.