$10.00
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
The fiddly thing in 6-card is that you can't score 4 for a flush in the crib, only 5 if the flush matches the starter too. I'm not sure how that compares in 5-card though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pugnax555
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
qwertymartin wrote:
The fiddly thing in 6-card is that you can't score 4 for a flush in the crib, only 5 if the flush matches the starter too. I'm not sure how that compares in 5-card though.

Okay, I can see that as a bit of an oddity. Although according to pagat, five-card cribbage handles a flush in the crib the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The one and only (but one of two in BGG)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
Pugnax555 wrote:
I'm curious -- how are the flush rules for six-card cribbage more complex than the rules for five-card crib?

Oops. I guess they're not. I had thought that since each player held only 3 cards after discarding, the starter card was needed to bring it up to a possible 4-flush, matching what would be possible in the crib. But upon rereading the rules, it doesn't work that way. It's a screwy rule even in the 5-card version.

Well, there's something about the 5-card version that makes a little more sense ... but I can't remember what it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pugnax555
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Pugnax555 wrote:
I'm curious -- how are the flush rules for six-card cribbage more complex than the rules for five-card crib?

Oops. I guess they're not. I had thought that since each player held only 3 cards after discarding, the starter card was needed to bring it up to a possible 4-flush, matching what would be possible in the crib. But upon rereading the rules, it doesn't work that way. It's a screwy rule even in the 5-card version.

Well, there's something about the 5-card version that makes a little more sense ... but I can't remember what it is now.

No worries. There are enough little quirks to the game no matter how you slice it, which is part of why I love it so much.

That said, I did go back and read some of the other threads that mention differences with 5-card and some of them did make a bit of sense (but also change the strategy involved): only playing a hand to 31 once, as well as the 3-points for not getting first deal. Having never played 5-card, though, I have no idea just how much it changes the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for the Big Lebowski reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
thumbsup for the Big Lebowski reference.

Thanks Bryan, I was wondering if anyone noticed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will B.
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review. I learned Cribbage as a teenager from grumpy old men at a Sunday family dinner. I fell in love with it almost immediately. It is most definitely the game I have played the most in life and it is also the only one I am always up to playing. I have recently had the privilege of teaching my son to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
w m
United States
Antioch
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother-in-law taught me how to play Cribbage the day after Christmas (2013). We played for 12 hours straight and had an absolute blast (and 3 more hours the day after that). I can't wait to play again and/or teach someone else. Definitely my favorite card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learned from the old man, and we still play for 'penny a point, buck a skunk' whenever the folks are in town. But now I can enjoy the game with this hand-made (by Santa) Secret Santa gift from 2012:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I learned this a couple years ago. We didn't have much money and I wanted to learn some new games to play with the cards we had around the house. I stumbled on to Cribbage and, after struggling through the learning process, we fell in love with this briliant, fun, beautiful game.

It's our most played game to this day, and I suspect it always will be.

I too feel like I'm cheating on her when I play with someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.