Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game and am reading through the rules, which seem quite straightforward. Except I'm not sure I understand the full sequence of events in the aftermath of a successful Political Alliance Check or a Declaration of War. I didn't see these addressed in other threads; apologies if I overlooked them. And apologies for the number of questions, but some of my questions and assumptions, are conditional on one another.

Political Alliance Check (PAC):
To expand on the example in the rules, suppose Prussia becomes a part of the British Alliance as a result of a PAC at the start of the Prussian RP Phase. Further suppose there were some French forces occupying Prussian areas, and the Prussian player chooses to place some of his newly created units in those areas.
- Does combat take place immediately? If so, who is the attacker? And if there is combat, who can retreat where, as either the attacker or defender? Can any Prussian units that do participate in combat move in the upcoming Prussian Combat Movement Phase and engage in further combat?
- In the immediately following Prussian Purchase Phase, I take it Prussia cannot purchase any further units because it does not actually control any areas; it does not place any control markers until its Unit Place Phase. Are these correct assumptions?
- In the immediately following Prussian Non-Combat Movement Phase, can any Prussian units move, given it does not control any land areas to which it could move?
- On subsequent Prussian RP Phases in later turns, Prussia calculates the RPs it has to spend in the normal fashion, i.e. 1 RP for each RP in those areas it actually controls. Is this correct?

Declaration of War (DOW):
Again build on the example in the rules, wherein Austria declares war on Prussia.
- The rules state that Prussia can immediately build units and place them in any home area, even one that is enemy occupied. How is it possible for any Prussian area to already be occupied, given DOW seems to apply only to countries that start the game neutral? Admittedly, some game experience might provide me the answer to this question. But if it is possible and there is immediate combat, could the Prussian player (as defender I assume) retreat anywhere given he does not yet control any areas?
- When the Prussian player's turn rolls around, does the Prussian player get to collect any RPs during his first RP Phase? I ask because he would not yet seem to actually control any areas until his first Unit Placement Phase. On later Prussian RP Phases on subsequent turns, I assume Prussia calculates the RPs he has to spend in the normal fashion; is this a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance for anyone reading through these questions and providing a response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all a point of clarification. At the start of the game all neutral areas cannot be entered by anyone unless a player pays 3 RP to declare war on that country/buffer area. If later in the game a country surrenders and then is reactivated through a political action roll the newly activated country's player can place 2 times its country's full RP allotment any where in the country even if occupied by enemy units. Battle occurs immediately with retreats handled normally. Remember if a country has been reactivated any of its areas possessing a foreign control and no enemy units immediately revert back to the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. Just to follow up on a couple of points raised in your response, the attacker in this example appears to be the newly reactivated country. Also, in stating that any area possessing a foreign control marker and no enemy units immediately reverts back to control by the re-activated country, this appears to include situations where friendly foreign troops might be present and where the foreign control marker might be that of an allied nation (i.e., control would immediately revert back to the reactivated nation in these situations as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on all counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Millburn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael thank you for clarifying these correctly for me. Please email me if you get a chance.

Thanks

Grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
ALL ACCESS - ALL THE TIME - DON'T EVEN ASK
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just now playing this game and still alittle confused as to RP's and units when a country becomes allied (in this case Prussia) during it's RP turn (when PAC role is made).

I'm not sure if:

1) Immediately it gets double RP's (12) worth of units to place, and THEN gets normal (6) RP's for it's territory for buying in it's next phase and then placing in the last part of it's turn.
Which also to me would mean that it's first/original placed 2xRP could move/fight etc like normal during it's turn.

OR

2) It ONLY gets 2xPR for it's whole turn. IF so, then they just get immediately placed, move/fight etc. but NOTHING to place afterwards during it's unit placement part of it's turn?

Seems to me the first thing makes more sense, that the country at least has a chance to move/attack, and yet defend itself... but the rules could be read (IMHO) either way.

This also would mean that in actuality that either joining or being attacked it's initial forces would be 3xRPs total (ie 3x or 2x +1 normal RPs during turn) during the initial time, which seems to me gives most of the nations a fighting chance when activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.