Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Don and Erik are joined by Grant Rodiek to talk about independent game design.

In the review-a-palooza, Erik and Don take a look at:

Five Points
The Princess Bride Prepare To Die
Flash Duel
Got It
Pirate Dice
Democrazy

RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be nice to have the links for those blog post about pitching a game, but yes that is a huge time commitment, more so if you have to do all the big Cons to do the networking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a daft question, but why would you choose to play Democrazy over, say, Dvorak, 1000 Blank White Cards or Nomic itself? Because the way you described it made it sound like a more restrictive subset of those, due to the rules you can propose and vote on all being prewritten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Will be nice to have the links for those blog post about pitching a game, but yes that is a huge time commitment, more so if you have to do all the big Cons to do the networking.

Doh! I knew I forgot something.

Here you are:

http://hyperbolegames.com/2012/03/19/pitch-like-a-pro/

http://cheveedodd.com/thoughts-networking-earns-pitches.html

http://inspirationtopublication.wordpress.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
Probably a daft question, but why would you choose to play Democrazy over, say, Dvorak, 1000 Blank White Cards or Nomic itself? Because the way you described it made it sound like a more restrictive subset of those, due to the rules you can propose and vote on all being prewritten.

For me, that is why to pull it out, especially with a mixed group of gamers and non-gamers. It has a little more structure and so it helps people who would freeze up or not know exactly what rule to create.

BTW Commodore 64 rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting me tag along on your podcast. It was a lot of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas was originally RoboDerby: Express, a PnP game developed by Clint Herron for a competition here on the geek. Ironically, he also distributes his games through Print & Play Productions. I received the Roboderby version, along with Andrew's Dune Civilization reprint, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality.

Edit: not Dune, but Civ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas was originally RoboDerby: Express, a PnP game developed by Clint Herron for a competition here on the geek. Ironically, he also distributes his games through Print & Play Productions. I received the Roboderby version, along with Andrew's Dune reprint, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality.

Awesome! That bodes well. I hope my game arrives any day now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Svejda
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Flash duel review in this episode

I'm aware of the controversy surrounding the game... but I felt the verdict of yellow light "for ethics sake" a bit harsh. Especially since you also said that "why would anyone want to play the version without the special powers... that would be horribly dry". (or something of that nature). If you feel that way, you're pretty close to what I understand is Sirlins point of view, that he took a very basic game and made it a lot more fun.
I for one agree: I enjoy the game once in a while, and would not consider playing (or buying it) without the special Sirlin sauce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dsvejda wrote:
Re: Flash duel review in this episode
I for one agree: I enjoy the game once in a while, and would not consider playing (or buying it) without the special Sirlin sauce.
And I wouldn't spend money for the Sirlin edition; I'd sooner make my own copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.