Succession: Intrigue in the Royal Court » General » How to get replacements for ruined parts?

Author: masdero
I wrote lots of emails to "Your Move Games".
I asked them if I could receive replacement parts because when I bought the game it looked like a glue tape was applied on punchable cardboards and then pulled away.

After months, I never received an answer.

Did any of you ever contact them and DID receive an answer?
Sat May 17, 2008 2:33 pm
Author: masdero
I sent them another email and I got an automated message:
Thank you for contacting us!

If you wish to talk to us directly, or if you do not receive a reply within 48 hours, please call us at (617) 739-1491.

It would be a nice thing to call them using skype but unfortunately my spoken English is not as good as my written one. shake
Sat May 17, 2008 3:04 pm
Author: Chad_Ellis

My apologies. We've been having a lot of problems with our webmail. You can always email me here or at my personal address - chad.ellis at

Sat May 17, 2008 7:42 pm
Author: masdero
I sent you a PM
Sat May 17, 2008 11:45 pm