I've always enjoyed games, but until recently didn't know many people with whom to game. In 2008 the discovery of a local group of gamers has kindled my interest in this hobby.
What do I like in a game? I have logged a few plays now and have had some time to ponder this question. I tend to like games which feature some subset of the following elements:
- Difficult, not obvious decisions that make a determinable impact on the players' success.
- Shared board development such as found in 18xx, Age of Steam, Power Grid, etc.
- Auctions. I don't like all auction games, but I do like the ability for players to define the value of elements in the game based on their perception of the game situation. Examples of games I like that feature auctions include Age of Steam and Power Grid.
- Turn order manipulation. I tend to like the ability to manipulate turn order in some fashion. There are a variety of mechanisms for this. Some examples include Age of Steam, Power Grid, Age of Industry, and 18xx.
- Temporary alliances and associated incentives. Examples include most Winsome Games, 18xx, and Santiago.
- I prefer games that require both strategic planning and tactical reaction. I like to have some plan I am trying to execute, but I like to have to react to tactical opportunities and challenges.
- High player interaction. While I do enjoy some multi-player solitaire games such as RftG, I prefer games in which players can directly affect each others' plans.
- Low luck. I am okay with some luck / chaos, but prefer games that favor skill, strategy and tactics over dice rolling. The longer the game, the more I prefer low luck. I do, however, enjoy some chaotic games such as Innovation.
- OR the game is something I can play with my son and we can enjoy the experience. Such a game may, in fact, contain none of the above items that I like in a game.
Pictured are my 10 most recently played games.
My Hot 10
lists games I am most eager to play whether I own them or not. My hot 10 may include games I've yet to play.
My Top 10
is made up of my 10 favorite games from my personal collection.
My "Want to Play" list contains games that I've yet to try, but that I want to try.
I started to track plays as of 5/9/2009, though I've gone back and tried to add earlier plays that I recall.