I love games! Euros primarily, but I also enjoy American and hybrid style games. I like 1 - 2 hour playing times and fast turns. I want a reasonable amount of meat in a game, usually 2.5 - 3.5 weight, unless it is just a great light game. I don't mind merchant and medieval themes. The artwork is important to me. Also, I tend to play games by feel, not by calculation, so I'm not as prone to analysis paralysis.
Board games are a hobby that for me contain the perfect combination of qualities. Here is a list of reasons why I love them:
- I get to collect them, but they have a purpose, they don't just sit there.
- The hobby involves interaction with other people.
- Board games are art that can be interacted with.
- Board games can be appreciated physically and have a longevity to them that can't be found in video games.
- I get to use my brain.
- I can spend time learning about and discussing board games when I am not playing them.
- There are always more games available to learn and discover.
- Since board games are not a solo or on-demand activity (such as video games, which can be played any time) and require planning and commitment they maintain their level of demand.
I know that I have found a hobby that will last my lifetime.
On a personal note, I have been a Christian for over 8 years. I have only God to thank for the blessed life that I have. For my wife and new baby (born May 31, 2012), my family, my job and even my favorite hobby, board games, which I enjoy so much. I pray that you would all come to know Him and that we could be together in heaven.My Top 10 are my favorite games.My Hot 10 are my last 10 acquisitions.